You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which Apatosaurus figure is the most accurate?

Started by modelnut, August 10, 2014, 10:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modelnut

My wife has a collection of Apatosaurus figures, Schleich and Safari mostly. From what I have read online: http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/05/06/apatosaurus-2010-wild-safari-by-safari-ltd/ (and elsewhere) the Safari LTD 2010 figure is one of the most accurate,. But is the pose right?
The head seems to be raised a little high to me. I'm no expert though.

But I am about to start sculpting an Apatosaurus for my wife. It's her favorite dinosaur.
Which image is nearer what Apatosaurus might have looked like?

Here is what I think I am shooting for:

Any thoughts?

- Leelan

tyrantqueen

Here's a thorough review of the Sideshow Apatosaurus, and goes into good detail about the anatomy:

http://svpow.com/2011/11/15/sideshow-collectibles-apatosaurus-maquette/

I'm not sure about Safari's but I don't think the tail is correct. It's a nice sculpt though.

Did you check out Shane Foulkes' Apatosaurus too?

amargasaurus cazaui

Have you a copy of the Small Dinotales figure by Kaiyodo? to me it appears more accurate than most of them I see.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Dan

That first image is just a copycat of the Sideshow Apatosaurus, which is extremely accurate.

modelnut

Cool.

We like the Sideshow figure but we can't afford it. If we could we would get the original paint job. The new stripes don't do anything for us.

- Leelan

DinoLord

The Apatosaurus maquette is the only Sideshow I own and is definitely one of my favorite pieces. The accuracy is pretty top-notch, with only a few very minor details off (like the number of vertebrae in the back IIRC). The Safari figure is pretty good except for the tail. The Kaiyodo Dinotales is another good one (though small); I think I reviewed it some years ago.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I would say all those are pretty good representations of Apatosaurus.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.