You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 11, 2017, 06:16:38 PM
That's good to know, thanks, Suspsy. It might be that they haven't bothered releasing new ones because the existing figures are selling reasonably well. Maybe when they start to flag they'll release additional figures to reinvigorate. I was surprised to see nothing new for the 2016 holiday season, though.

My pleasure. I must admit, knowing that Battat does indeed have all the remaining prototypes gives me hope.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

sauroid

Quote from: Takama on April 10, 2017, 08:30:30 PM

There is a Sculptor who is willing to offer to continue the line for them.    But thats if Battat will let him.   

how do you know this?

and btw, Battat Terra should just do away with the hefty packaging of their dino line to save on shelf space.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Takama

Quote from: sauroid on April 12, 2017, 03:22:32 AM

There is a Sculptor who is willing to offer to continue the line for them.    But thats if Battat will let him.   

how do you know this?

and btw, Battat Terra should just do away with the hefty packaging of their dino line to save on shelf space.

See post  #1558

Takama

Quote from: drjre77 on April 11, 2017, 05:56:22 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 10, 2017, 08:22:29 PM
They could reissue Dans LoRusso figures of dinosaurs as the epic diplodocus Battat is in fact a memorable figure and those that are sold by eBay secondhand its price is almost 500 dollars. Which makes these figures unattainable.

They could also hire a new sculptor and could release that unfinished project of dinosaurs because of the unfortunate death of Dan LoRusso.
It would be a good thing if this company resurrected with regard to the creation of both reissued and new figures and marketed in Europe. I sincerely like the figures of Battat and have many figures that do not have to envy the best toy manufacturers in the world.

I was actually thinking of contacting battat to see if they would be interested in getting me to sculpt new dinosaurs for this line. I am currently sculpting a 1/40th scale Allosaurus. once it's completed I will send pictures to them and ask them and see what they think. I would really like to see this line continued as it is the best line of 40th scale dinosaurs out there in my opinion.

I would love to own that Allosaurus your working on. From what i saw. It looks like it would fit in. Though i hope they use the sturdeier plastic with it.

Dinoguy2

They could reissue Dans LoRusso figures of dinosaurs as the epic diplodocus Battat is in fact a memorable figure and those that are sold by eBay secondhand its price is almost 500 dollars. Which makes these figures unattainable.

They could also hire a new sculptor and could release that unfinished project of dinosaurs because of the unfortunate death of Dan LoRusso.
It would be a good thing if this company resurrected with regard to the creation of both reissued and new figures and marketed in Europe. I sincerely like the figures of Battat and have many figures that do not have to envy the best toy manufacturers in the world.

I was actually thinking of contacting battat to see if they would be interested in getting me to sculpt new dinosaurs for this line. I am currently sculpting a 1/40th scale Allosaurus. once it's completed I will send pictures to them and ask them and see what they think. I would really like to see this line continued as it is the best line of 40th scale dinosaurs out there in my opinion.

Unfortunately I seriously doubt this would work. I don't know many companies that would accept unsolicited applications for a job that may not even exist or be vacant. IF Targt has any interest in renewing the line and IF Battat has any interest in sending them new figures rather than just the repaints (both really enormous IFs) Battat will hire a sculptor the usual way. By placing a job ad in industry publications or tapping someone they've contracted with previously.

What matters is not what we want or even Dan's legacy. What matters is did this line sell well enough that Target wants to order more product. The fact that we haven't even seen the rest of the repaints yet suggests the answer is probably no and the line is dead. My only hope is that they may we waiting to release more to coincide with JW2, when interest in generic dinosaur toys will be higher.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 12, 2017, 11:30:53 AM

Unfortunately I seriously doubt this would work. I don't know many companies that would accept unsolicited applications for a job that may not even exist or be vacant. IF Targt has any interest in renewing the line and IF Battat has any interest in sending them new figures rather than just the repaints (both really enormous IFs) Battat will hire a sculptor the usual way. By placing a job ad in industry publications or tapping someone they've contracted with previously.

What matters is not what we want or even Dan's legacy. What matters is did this line sell well enough that Target wants to order more product. The fact that we haven't even seen the rest of the repaints yet suggests the answer is probably no and the line is dead. My only hope is that they may we waiting to release more to coincide with JW2, when interest in generic dinosaur toys will be higher.

You can not be pessimistic in this case. What Suspsy says and Dan's own widow confirms that there is a great possibility that the Battat line of dinosaurs will reappear again.

I have solid hopes that in a relative medium-long term, these figures will be marketed again according to the aforementioned and that figures such as nasutoceratops, pentaceratops, europasaurus will be put on the market to market, for examples that are not currently on the market And that we can not access collectors of toy dinosaurs. I am based on what members of the forum have commented on and what I was told by Dan's wife.

On the other hand it is logical that they were revealed now after the success of box office that had the dinosaur film the saga of Jurassic World of 2015 (the second highest blockbuster film worldwide after the film of the saga of the films Star Wars)

suspsy

Unfortunately, Dinoguy2 makes an excellent point. If the Terra series simply is not selling well enough, then it doesn't matter if Battat has all the remaining prototypes. They may just decide that it's not feasible from a business standpoint to go to all the trouble of manufacturing them, and that will be the end of it. It'll take a lot more than adult collectors like us to keep the line alive. Kids need to be buying it too.  :(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

That's true because four collectors are not going to risk in that case. That is why Schleich is the most successful company in the world because its figures are aimed at children and not collectors and with rare exceptions such as kentrosaurus their figures are intended for the little ones.

But well, it is also an illusion to live, just like to try Battat releases some new dinosaur or re-edited figure already out of print.

stargatedalek

Target may also be the problem. Battat has made some pretty bad choices on who to offer exclusives to. Target has never been able to compare to Walmart or Toys R Us in toy sales, and The Bay hasn't even had a toy section for around a decade. If you're going to make an entire line an exclusive don't offer it to the underdog, that's bad business.

I saw the giant buckets of terrible TERRA miniatures at Shoppers the other day, I don't know if this was them buying out old stock (perhaps even remaining from Target Canada) or if they might start stocking them also. Again an odd choice, but perhaps one more comparable to Target in the USA.

Sim

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 12, 2017, 05:31:54 PM
That's true because four collectors are not going to risk in that case. That is why Schleich is the most successful company in the world because its figures are aimed at children and not collectors and with rare exceptions such as kentrosaurus their figures are intended for the little ones.

But well, it is also an illusion to live, just like to try Battat releases some new dinosaur or re-edited figure already out of print.

I doubt that is why Schleich is very successful.  Personally, even if I was a kid I would find most of Schleich's prehistoric figures unpleasant and unappealing.  My guess is Schleich's success is more due to their aggressive marketing strategy where they try to fill as many shops as possible with their products while actively trying to eliminate other brands, in this way making their products more appealing or "good enough" to buy.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Is Terra still a Target exclusive? Last I heard (a while ago) they were trying to find other retailers. Perhaps poor sales led to them not going further?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Sim on April 12, 2017, 09:08:54 PM

I doubt that is why Schleich is very successful.  Personally, even if I was a kid I would find most of Schleich's prehistoric figures unpleasant and unappealing.  My guess is Schleich's success is more due to their aggressive marketing strategy where they try to fill as many shops as possible with their products while actively trying to eliminate other brands, in this way making their products more appealing or "good enough" to buy.

Yeah, I have to agree that Schleich's success comes entirely from whatever business model they have. Remember how ubiquitous Carnegies were in the 90s? They weren't just relegated to museum gift shops, they were in most of the toy stores I ever visited (though never Toys R Us for some reason, if I remember correctly). Clearly, it has nothing to do with the appearance of the figures, but how they are marketed and promoted (as well as presumably how cheap they are to manufacture).

ceratopsian

My copy of Prehistoric Times arrived yesterday.  Randy Knol made the following comments about his visit to the 2017 New York Toy Fair: "Battat was at the Fair, and the new and recast LoRusso figures are still being sold, at a rate that exceeds their production, at Target.  A note for collectors: a cache of the original Diplodocus was found in the Battat warehouse and is the source of many of the eBay listings.  They start at $250 per figure."  (If only I could find one at $250!!)  I don't know what his source was for either saying the Battats were selling well or the Diplodocus cache, I'm just passing on what he said.

Halichoeres

Well, assuming his information is good, that's very encouraging news.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

There were caches of Battat Diplodocus lying around? That sounds like adream come true to many collectors, though the 250 dollar price tag serves as a decent reality check. I guess Battat is well aware its original models command steep prices online.

DinoLord

Too bad all the recent eBay listings have been for 3x that amount...

John

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 14, 2017, 05:17:10 PM
My copy of Prehistoric Times arrived yesterday.  Randy Knol made the following comments about his visit to the 2017 New York Toy Fair: "Battat was at the Fair, and the new and recast LoRusso figures are still being sold, as a rate that exceeds their production, at Target.
With a little luck,maybe we will see something new like the Gastonia turn up to coincide with the release of the next Jurassic Park movie next year. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sim on April 12, 2017, 09:08:54 PM

In no way defending Schleich, I try to be realistic. Their figures are not exactly saint of my devotion, but they are the ones that are more commercialized in the stores, perhaps like commentaries by its policy of aggressive marketing.

The fact that it is very rare to see in a store figures of Safari and even of Collecta (these are easier to find in physical stores) and the only one that is commercialized moderately well is Papo, but even in my nation its distributor broke (it is in Suspension of payments) and the new one brings dinosaurs and other figures very late in the afternoon. For you to do the idea have only received in Spain the polacanthus and the blue oviraptor (as I call it). Not even the velociraptor and for what I have learned until the summer will not be available all his figures.

On the other hand finding in a physical store Battat (which is a pity) or Chinese or Japanese companies is talking about science fiction.

Unfortunately, in my country, only Schleich is currently commercialized (in fact, it is the only company that stands or resists the others), even the distributor Collecta changed its owner two years ago and they are also very irregular when it comes to marketing their Figures (never marketed the koreaceratops family and hysilophodon family, apart from prehistoric trees like monanthesia and cycadeiodea and williansonia) with that I say quite a lot of the bad luck that unfortunately have other toy dinosaur companies. If one wants to have certain prehistoric animals and I am not talking about Asian companies like Battat, Safari and even Collecta in the cases mentioned we have to go to the online stores.

There were several attempts in the past to market Safari ... but it was in vain the companies were ruined for a reason, they required them to buy at least a varied merchandise worth 6000 euros. That is what the traders told me so, as I say, those companies went bankrupt.

True and true that there are accumulated quantities of Schleich dinosaurs from different genera (Bayala, dinosaurs and prehistoric animals, horses, wild animals) with little change (ie they are not bought by what I see a lot) but that does not mean that To the misfortune of the collectors are the figures that practically monopolize the toy market with regard to Europe or at least my nation.

Victoria's Cantina

I went to Target earlier in the week and there was only one Amargasaurus on the shelf. Most of the other Terra animals were wiped out too. I haven't seen it that bare before, so I wonder if they were resetting or something.

Blade-of-the-Moon

i think a lot of stores are resetting for summer right now, saw a lot of evidence of it today in various stores..bare shelves, low - no product.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: