You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Hey, could you do me a favour? Reissue versions 1 & 2 of the Dilophosaurus then I could just repaint them and save me going broke on eBay. ;)

Himmapaan

The Diplodocus...

That is all.

*Vanishes into the mist once more*

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Diplodocus looks like it walked out of a Greg Paul painting..just beautiful.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I know where my collecting money will go this year...
The colors, as with the originals, are amazing. They are absolute improvements over the old ones. The color palettes work well and there are complex, yet not overly so, patterns on each model. I noticed some 'borrowing' but I am not unhappy about it at all! I see carnegie inspiration in your carnotaurus. No other words can describe them but perfect. I'll buy one of each... except the diplodocus. I'll have two of those.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Tallin

Goodness me these are amazing! I particularly love the Amarga...and the carnotaurus, and all of them to be honest!

Quen

Oh wow! So pretty! I'm particularly fond of the Diplodocus, Acrocanthosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, and Maiasaura.

loru1588

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 14, 2015, 07:53:17 PM
Congratulations Dan, did you come up with the paint schemes? I am particularly fond of the Styracosaurus and the Triceratops.

Hi Doug! Borrowed some schemes from pics I found on internet, made up some,whatever seemed to work on the critters. Tried to keep them in line with the Terra Series for consistency and plausibility sake. Tyrant queen posted some pics that inspired my schemes.

Takama

These look fantastic.  Though i hope there will be no controversy with you borrowing colorschems from other peoples art

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've never known artists to be too particular when it comes to colors and patterns. Most are fine unless the entire image is reprinted or used for something that will be sold.

loru1588

Quote from: Takama on February 14, 2015, 09:38:55 PM
These look fantastic.  Though i hope there will be no controversy with you borrowing colorschems from other peoples art

There really shouldn't be any controversy it would be hypocritical in most caese. Wild Safari  and Shliech "Borrowed" my Diplodocus paint scheme on their Apatosaurus, 2011 Carnegie Carnotaurus sceme is similar to CM studios Styracosaurus scheme, my new version of Carnotaurus scheme is taken from a painting, not old Wild Safari toy, Schliech Therazinosaur is directly off a painting, and there are others that are reflective of the Kaiyodo mini Dinotales series. I could go on.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: loru1588 on February 14, 2015, 10:15:29 PM

There really shouldn't be any controversy it would be hypocritical in most caese. Wild Safari  and Shliech "Borrowed" my Diplodocus paint scheme on their Apatosaurus, 2011 Carnegie Carnotaurus sceme is similar to CM studios Styracosaurus scheme, my new version of Carnotaurus scheme is taken from a painting, not old Wild Safari toy, Schliech Therazinosaur is directly off a painting, and there are others that are reflective of the Kaiyodo mini Dinotales series. I could go on.

Exactly, I think we all borrow from one another here and there..it's inspirational!

tanystropheus

Patrx

Ikessauro

I'm sure there will be no problem with the paint schemes! Awesome work Dan! I'm drooling over my keyboard in here! Will buy them all!

Doug Watson

I wonder how many painters have been inspired over the years by some of your original patterns from the first release. As long as they aren't doing knock offs I don't mind people being inspired by one of my paint jobs. I once saw a painting in Prehistoric Times magazine where someone copied the life sized Pteranodon that I did for the museum of nature right down to the colour pattern. In that case I was flattered. Now if someone took one of my 1:12 scale casts of those Pteranodons and started doing knock offs that would be a different story. We all get inspired, some times it is overt some times it is subconscious.
Again great job Dan

Raptoress

They're absolutely stunning. I really love the improvements. The Diplodocus, Styracosaurus and Triceratops are my favourites. They're just... Wow.

Dinoguy2

I'm fine if somebody uses one of my paleoart pieces for educational purposes, but if somebody did so commercially I would absolutely expect a cut of the paycheck. Otherwise this is called plagiarism, and "everybody does it" isn't an excuse.

Sorry, it's attitudes like this that make it impossible for artists to get paid for work, and frankly I'm disappointed that people who are lucky enough to have a steady paying art gig have this attitude that the work of other people is to be considered open source.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

loru1588

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 14, 2015, 11:03:54 PM

I wonder how many painters have been inspired over the years by some of your original patterns from the first release. As long as they aren't doing knock offs I don't mind people being inspired by one of my paint jobs. I once saw a painting in Prehistoric Times magazine where someone copied the life sized Pteranodon that I did for the museum of nature right down to the colour pattern. In that case I was flattered. Now if someone took one of my 1:12 scale casts of those Pteranodons and started doing knock offs that would be a different story. We all get inspired, some times it is overt some times it is subconscious.
Again great job Dan

Exactly Doug!! As long as they aren't making money off of YOUR ( our ) hard work I don't a problem with it! Here's a bit of a story.  Compare this image from Gurney's Dinotopia < http://i.ytimg.com/vi/UYysXwPE2OI/hqdefault.jpg > with my Kaiyodo Camarasaurus on my Dinosaur studio FB page. < https://www.facebook.com/TheDinosaurStudio/photos/a.177835332367475.1073741837.166381366846205/180705408747134/?type=3&theater >. I was displaying my painted up Kaiyodo dinosaur models at the Museum of Science, Boston, late 80's early 90's when some of my friends who work there came up tp me one day and said some guy was taking a pantload of pictures of my models. I wasn't concernend. Then Dinotopia came out and the rest is history..... LOL!!!

Dinoguy2

Quote from: loru1588 on February 14, 2015, 11:37:06 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on February 14, 2015, 11:03:54 PM

Again great job Dan

Exactly Doug!! As long as they aren't making money off of YOUR ( our ) hard work I don't a problem with it!

But you making money off someone else's hard work instead of working to come up with original designs is ok, or does painting and designing color schemes not count as work?

I mean, honestly if it's just a color pattern or something I probably would be too concerned, though some kind of friendly email to check in and let the artist know would have been courteous. It's not like the infamous Safari ripoff of Luis Rey work which I would have immediately sent them a bill for. (And I don't know why on earth Sideshow hasn't sued Papo into the ground yet for blatant intellectual property theft). But seriously, Google Images isn't a public domain free for all.

Most these new reprints are simply stunning, but I'm gonna feel very dirty buying them knowing that the people responsible for these stunning designs are not gonna see a dime of my money.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

EmperorDinobot

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: