News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: stegosauria on March 28, 2020, 11:48:55 AM
Quote from: Brontozaurus on March 17, 2020, 05:08:29 AM
So, random thought: has the Nanshiungosaurus been quietly 'retired'?

Just thinking because it's the only one left out of the Amazon bundles, and it's also the only one I've never seen at retail here in Australia. I mean I've also only seen the T. rex here once, but it's still being sold in those packs.

The Nanshiungosaurus got retired just after one year, around the time when EverythingDinosaur got the chance to sell the line and fortunately they got a big stock of it (of course they also ran out of it years ago now).
The Cryolophosaurus also got retired like 2 years ago and the Amargasaurus circa a year ago. But now all of them got retired. I just hope that maybe now they will release the unreleased figures (I would buy all of them).

I would like Dan LoRusso's posthumous dinosaur figures to be marketed. It would be great to have the europasaurus and the pentaceratops. Battat's Europasaurus could serve as a companion to my counterpart in Bullyland.

austrosaurus

The Nanshiungosaurus got retired just after one year, around the time when EverythingDinosaur got the chance to sell the line and fortunately they got a big stock of it (of course they also ran out of it years ago now).
The Cryolophosaurus also got retired like 2 years ago and the Amargasaurus circa a year ago. But now all of them got retired. I just hope that maybe now they will release the unreleased figures (I would buy all of them).

I don't think that's right, since both of those figures only started showing up in my local toy stores a few months ago. Either they were pawning off excess stock to liquidate it quicker, or neither toy was retired before the rest of the set.

I actually can't say I mind too much that the Nanshiungosaurus got retired early, as other than being a unique species it was the weakest of the four new Terra models.

stegosauria

Quote from: austrosaurus on March 29, 2020, 11:00:59 PM

I don't think that's right, since both of those figures only started showing up in my local toy stores a few months ago. Either they were pawning off excess stock to liquidate it quicker, or neither toy was retired before the rest of the set.

I actually can't say I mind too much that the Nanshiungosaurus got retired early, as other than being a unique species it was the weakest of the four new Terra models.

It's one thing that a company stops the production of one of its products but it takes time for the last supplies to run out. ED sold the Nanshiungosaurus for one and a half year after it got retired.
But here's the post that mention the possible retirement of Amargasaurus:
https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2018/04/27/everything-dinosaurs-may-newsletter-2018.html

The Cryolophosaurus' retirement was really abrupt. I noticed that after Christmas everything was in stock at ED again except that figure. It required Sue 2 or 3 weeks looking for to find out that it got retired and they got just a minimal supply later as a last one. They didn't post that sorry this figure got retired and even the last supply ran out via email orders.

And from the whole Terra collection my favorite is the Nanshiungosaurus so I feel that it deserves a longer production period (and the unreleased figures too). But I know every model can be quite different in pictures and in real life. But of course that's hard to see if you can't see a model with your own eyes.

SidB

Since the theme of this thread is the re-issue of the old Battat line, with new additions, this seems the place to launch what I'll call: A TRIBUTE TO DAN LORUSSO.

Since 2010, I've been slowly picking up Dan's Battat figures, old and new, especially the original pieces, issued in 1994, 1996, and 1998. I have, typically, at least two, sometimes more of these dinosaurs from the 1990's.
Like most of the participants on this thread, I was greatly disappointed when Battat abruptly stopped their program of re-paints of the originals. There are eight yet to be released, and the suspicion, growing to somewhat of a certainty, is that they will never be made available to us. I determined to do the next best thing - a friend who is a skilled painter (Warhammer), volunteered to take up seven commissions from me to convert seven originals into Dan's planned paint schemes.

I say seven, because I simply don't have the $500 Canadian to afford, after currency exchange and shipping, to acquire the eighth, the Diplodocus. Of course, I'd need two, one for conversion, and that simply won't happen. That raises the spectre of the elephant in the room: is repainting a Battat a desecration? Perhaps some will think so, but rest assured, it's for a higher cause - to celebrates Dan' s gift to us that never came to fruition. So I'll be releasing the pictures, one set at a time, in seven installments over the next while. Hope that you enjoy them.

John

Quote from: SidB on April 16, 2020, 02:06:15 AM
Since the theme of this thread is the re-issue of the old Battat line, with new additions, this seems the place to launch what I'll call: A TRIBUTE TO DAN LORUSSO.

Since 2010, I've been slowly picking up Dan's Battat figures, old and new, especially the original pieces, issued in 1994, 1996, and 1998. I have, typically, at least two, sometimes more of these dinosaurs from the 1990's.
Like most of the participants on this thread, I was greatly disappointed when Battat abruptly stopped their program of re-paints of the originals. There are eight yet to be released, and the suspicion, growing to somewhat of a certainty, is that they will never be made available to us. I determined to do the next best thing - a friend who is a skilled painter (Warhammer), volunteered to take up seven commissions from me to convert seven originals into Dan's planned paint schemes.

I say seven, because I simply don't have the $500 Canadian to afford, after currency exchange and shipping, to acquire the eighth, the Diplodocus. Of course, I'd need two, one for conversion, and that simply won't happen. That raises the spectre of the elephant in the room: is repainting a Battat a desecration? Perhaps some will think so, but rest assured, it's for a higher cause - to celebrates Dan' s gift to us that never came to fruition. So I'll be releasing the pictures, one set at a time, in seven installments over the next while. Hope that you enjoy them.

I wouldn't call any model having an improved repaint a desecration,not even an original Battat like the Styracosaurus you show.Especially when the sculpt is still unchanged. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

postsaurischian

:D  Wonderful! I've always been loving the CM Studio colours.
        I also have two Styracosaurus models with this paint scheme.

ceratopsian

S @SidB - the Styracosaurus looks beautiful in his new clothes.  I think it was a good thing to do.

Shonisaurus

Nice repainting of Battat's styracosaurus is a good posthumous tribute to Dan LoRusso.

SidB

avatar_John @John. avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian , avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian and avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, thanks for the positive comments. We put forth our best effort to remain faithful to Dan's original intended paint scheme, so yes, it is quite dramatic. It was tricky interpreting colors, them being so subjective, as you know. Then there are the questions of how the colors presented themselves on the original DTF images online, were applied to the subject figure as primer and paint,and were taken by my cell camera, received by the imaging host site and now sent back to this thread.

All this being said, I'm rather happy with the result. My friend is talented and I'm not surprised at the outcome. Since this lead-off image is one of the Battat ceratopsians, even in appreciating Dan's repaint of the Styracosaurus, I'm sad that we won't likely get to see his projected Penteceratops (but then, never say never).

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I think that is a wonderful idea, very lovely and the  paintwork looks stunning. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.
It is such a shame what happened but this is very sweet if you, though costly
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 16, 2020, 10:20:51 AM
S @SidB - the Styracosaurus looks beautiful in his new clothes.  I think it was a good thing to do.
I have to admit, I was quite fond of the older bluish paint scheme and still like it, but the "new clothes" eclipse the older look by a wide margin.

SidB

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on April 16, 2020, 07:13:00 PM
I think that is a wonderful idea, very lovely and the  paintwork looks stunning. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.
It is such a shame what happened but this is very sweet if you, though costly
Thank you. The cost I could manage, though I typically don't have bags of jewels and gold lying around the house, like Bilbo Baggins was alleged to have by his somewhat jealous neighbours. It was for a good cause - recognizing that this might be as close as we ever get to seeing Dan's creative genius at work in this particular instance (hence the need to stick as close as possible to his original concept). Also, it gave my friend a little material support, which is always needed in these times by most of us.

Bokisaurus

Looks beautiful! Can't wait to see what the others looks like.

I have repainted Battat figures in the past as well.

SidB

Quote from: Bokisaurus on April 16, 2020, 07:48:00 PM
Looks beautiful! Can't wait to see what the others looks like.

I have repainted Battat figures in the past as well.
Thanks! You won't have to wait too long - shouldn't be disappointed. BTW, you've posted your repaints on the forum, perhaps?

SidB

Here's the second of the seven repaints commemorating Dan's marvelous opus.

This Dilophosaurus repaint really brings out the dynamism of the sculpt in a way that the very somber paint job shared by versions 1-3 of the original failed to do. This is the third version (1998), the one that was scheduled for re-issue with the new look. As with all of my images, the original paintwork can be seen in the DTB review catalogue.

SidB

Pachyrhinosaurus

I really like what you're having done with these. If only they were readily available for us all to add to our collections. I've been thinking about unreleased toys lately and was considering doing something similar myself.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SidB

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on April 17, 2020, 04:54:28 AM
I really like what you're having done with these. If only they were readily available for us all to add to our collections. I've been thinking about unreleased toys lately and was considering doing something similar myself.
Thank you, I'm very pleased that acted on the decision to have these done. It was, I think, a matter of desperate times calling for desperate measures. I know how crestfallen so many people were, when Battat cut short their release schedule, leaving these gems unavailable for the legion of Dan's fan and admirers to enjoy. This seemed like a plausible, if limited alternative.

Sim

S @SidB, I can't see the Dilophosaurus photos.  I tried visiting one of the links in your post and I got this page that says, "These aren't the droids you're looking for.": https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49771550541_9a29299821_z.jpg

SidB

Quote from: Sim on April 17, 2020, 08:25:11 PM
S @SidB, I can't see the Dilophosaurus photos.  I tried visiting one of the links in your post and I got this page that says, "These aren't the droids you're looking for.": https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49771550541_9a29299821_z.jpg
That's odd, since that the link that you provided above shows the figure quite clearly on my screen. I'm going to be showing the next in my sequence shortly. Let me know if you receive it adequately. In a pinch, I could always send it by other means, I suppose.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: