You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shuvuuia

So I went back to the Target where I saw the Amargasaurus, Ceratosaurus, and Carnotaurus. The Ceratosaur had sold, but the Amargasaur and Carnotaur were still there. I remembered to take pictures this time!

This is the sloppy paintwork on this particular Amargasaurus' neck spines. The mouth was also slightly warped, but that looked like shipping damage rather than mold damage. I'm holding off on buying an Amargasaurus until I can see if the paint job is only off on this one particular model.

Here's the Carno I was moments from buying before I noticed that his horns left him with this quizzical look. Has anyone else managed to find a Carno? If you have, are the horns uneven like that? Just curious if this is another individual flaw or one spread throughout the remade Battat Carnos.

Sim

Quote from: pylraster on August 08, 2015, 08:00:00 PM
Will Battat consider using a stiffer plastic though? I hope that the feedback here reaches them so they can do something about the balance issues of the models. Such a shame because these are still some of the best dino figures ever made.
Have you asked Battat about this?

Dobber

Quote from: Patrx on August 08, 2015, 08:31:28 PM
Quote from: pylraster on August 08, 2015, 07:57:24 PM
That kink in the tail ... Is that from the packaging's ties?

I'm afraid so, yes. It is a little bit distracting.

Hmmm, thankfully mine doesn't have that kink at all. Though, it definitely won't stand on its own. FAR to front heavy + soft legs. Like someone else said, it makes the tripod feature kind of pointless. Amazing figure though, that is only let down by the choice of soft plastic.....but for $9.99 it's a steal! It too was suprised by its size, about the same size as the Papo running T-Rex.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Sim

Since Battat appears to have re-issued the Stegosaurus with its sculpt unchanged, I wonder if any of the dinosaurs that were in the MOS line will ever get updated models.  I still had some hope that the Stegosaurus would be updated at least, perhaps through a "factory fix", as it's such a famous and well-known dinosaur.  That hope feels like it's been shattered by a strike from the spiked tail of a Stegosaurus...  Honestly, I don't like how a Stegosaurus looks with 8 tail spikes.  As Stegosaurus is one of my favourite dinosaurs, I would've really liked a Battat version that does Stegosaurus justice.  Sigh... :(

Takama

If Battat has no plans on Feathering the Galamimus and Utahraptor, then I will get them.  However if they are released, and then there's news that they will let Dan Feather them, then im not going to bother on getting the Naked versions

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Takama on August 08, 2015, 06:55:29 AM
Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on August 08, 2015, 06:23:44 AM

BTW, Takama, can you post a link to the website you're referring to? When I looked up the Battat website, I only find toys on there for very young children. Hmm.

As far as room for the Dippy, they could easily stand them up on the top shelf. But with kids always looking through these, it would be a long fall down to the floor! :P That's the problem Walmart is having with their Schleich figures. They put all the larger figures on the top shelf of their display. And inevitably every time I'm there, I see a couple of them on the floor with something chipped or broken off. >:(

Theres a Separate Website for The Terra Series

http://www.terrauniverse.com/dinosaurs

Thanks! :)

I wonder what ever happened with the Gigantoraptor and Gastonia. They were listed in the very first group of Terra's last year.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sim on August 09, 2015, 02:38:00 AM
Since Battat appears to have re-issued the Stegosaurus with its sculpt unchanged, I wonder if any of the dinosaurs that were in the MOS line will ever get updated models.  I still had some hope that the Stegosaurus would be updated at least, perhaps through a "factory fix", as it's such a famous and well-known dinosaur.  That hope feels like it's been shattered by a strike from the spiked tail of a Stegosaurus...  Honestly, I don't like how a Stegosaurus looks with 8 tail spikes.  As Stegosaurus is one of my favourite dinosaurs, I would've really liked a Battat version that does Stegosaurus justice.  Sigh... :(

You could carve off the extra ones easily enough. :)

I also found the Rex and Acro today, pretty sweet sculpts. No sign of any of the others though.

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Shuvuuia on August 08, 2015, 09:58:03 PM
Here's the Carno I was moments from buying before I noticed that his horns left him with this quizzical look. Has anyone else managed to find a Carno? If you have, are the horns uneven like that? Just curious if this is another individual flaw or one spread throughout the remade Battat Carnos.

I still haven't found the Carno myself (but not from lack of trying), but it looks like even the picture on Battat's website has the horns skewed like that (although maybe not to the same degree):

Blade-of-the-Moon

After looking at these two I'm increasingly tempted to go back for the other pair. They display great in package but i sorta want to play with them now...lol

triceratops83

Can't wait for Dan's to get these. I might get a second Triceratops to keep in the box - the packaging really is cool.

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on August 09, 2015, 05:12:26 AM
I wonder what ever happened with the Gigantoraptor and Gastonia. They were listed in the very first group of Terra's last year.

I'm guessing they're releasing the repaints before the other Terras like Gastonia simply due to popular demand.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

suspsy

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on August 09, 2015, 05:12:26 AM
Quote from: Takama on August 08, 2015, 06:55:29 AM
Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on August 08, 2015, 06:23:44 AM

BTW, Takama, can you post a link to the website you're referring to? When I looked up the Battat website, I only find toys on there for very young children. Hmm.

As far as room for the Dippy, they could easily stand them up on the top shelf. But with kids always looking through these, it would be a long fall down to the floor! :P That's the problem Walmart is having with their Schleich figures. They put all the larger figures on the top shelf of their display. And inevitably every time I'm there, I see a couple of them on the floor with something chipped or broken off. >:(

Theres a Separate Website for The Terra Series

http://www.terrauniverse.com/dinosaurs

Thanks! :)

I asked Dan about that a few days ago and he said he didn't know what the status was of the unreleased toys. As I've stated in the past, I'm more excited about them than I am about the reissues. Especially the ones that haven't been revealed yet.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

Has anyone taken there Ceratosaurus out of the package? if so, how does it stand?

Don B.

Quote from: Takama on August 10, 2015, 05:22:39 AM
Has anyone taken there Ceratosaurus out of the package? if so, how does it stand?

The one I got for my grandson stood just fine.

Sim

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 09, 2015, 05:50:17 AM

I also found the Rex and Acro today, pretty sweet sculpts. No sign of any of the others though.

I did think of cutting off the extra tail spikes.  When I was a kid I sometimes customised some of my toys.  For example, I had both a painted and unpainted Invicta Pteranodon, so I removed the crest from the unpainted one to make it into a Pterodactylus.  I also had two Panini Pteranodon, so I removed the crest from one of them and superglued a Rhamphorhynchus-shaped tail I'd cut out of green plastic to it to make it a Rhamphorhynchus.  Now I know more is required to make those Pteranodon fully into Rhamphorhynchus/Pterodactylus, but what I did was good enough for me back then.  I also removed the fish from under my Invicta Baryonyx's hand.  I find it difficult to understand why someone would think it's a good idea to permanently attach prey to something designed to be a children's toy.

If I had the Battat Stegosaurus when I was a kid and I found out it had too many tail spikes I might've cut the extra ones off and have been happy with that.  If I were to cut them off now though, I'd be bothered by the smooth area that would be left where the spikes attach which would be conspicuous as the skin of the figure is very detailed.  To get similar detail on the area where the removed spikes were looks like it would be hard to achieve...

Congratulations on getting the Tyrannosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus! :)  I think you're one of the few people on this forum who currently has all the available Battat Terra dinosaurs!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sim on August 10, 2015, 10:21:51 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 09, 2015, 05:50:17 AM

I did think of cutting off the extra tail spikes.  When I was a kid I sometimes customised some of my toys.  For example, I had both a painted and unpainted Invicta Pteranodon, so I removed the crest from the unpainted one to make it into a Pterodactylus.  I also had two Panini Pteranodon, so I removed the crest from one of them and superglued a Rhamphorhynchus-shaped tail I'd cut out of green plastic to it to make it a Rhamphorhynchus.  Now I know more is required to make those Pteranodon fully into Rhamphorhynchus/Pterodactylus, but what I did was good enough for me back then.  I also removed the fish from under my Invicta Baryonyx's hand.  I find it difficult to understand why someone would think it's a good idea to permanently attach prey to something designed to be a children's toy.

If I had the Battat Stegosaurus when I was a kid and I found out it had too many tail spikes I might've cut the extra ones off and have been happy with that.  If I were to cut them off now though, I'd be bothered by the smooth area that would be left where the spikes attach which would be conspicuous as the skin of the figure is very detailed.  To get similar detail on the area where the removed spikes were looks like it would be hard to achieve...

Congratulations on getting the Tyrannosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus! :)  I think you're one of the few people on this forum who currently has all the available Battat Terra dinosaurs!

I do some modeling and custom work, if interested I could do it pretty easily i think.

Really? Wow..I'll have to get a pic of all of them together tonight! :)

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Kayakasaurus

Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Takama

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on August 11, 2015, 04:59:08 AM
You could open up a little gift shop!    :))

He has one, Got anything Dinosaur you want to Donate?   He will take it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: