News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Panini

Started by DinoToyForum, April 02, 2015, 07:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

[NB: image-heavy post]

Here's a little piece of my childhood that I remember fondly and I'm happy to revisit! I've been promising to take photos of the original Panini dinosaur figures for a while now, and have finally got around to it. These miniature dinosaur toys were available in the UK in the 1990s in conjunction with stickers and a sticker book. The sticker album came with a foldout cardboard play set to be populated in due course, and each packet of six stickers came in a blind bag with a figure inside.

I spent several months' worth of pocket money acquiring the set and filling in the sticker book. I proudly completed the set of figures (I think, there was no checklist, but a picture of the completed set on the back cover of the sticker book showed no missing figures [Edit - I was missing a Dimetrodon]). However, I never did find those last illusive stickers! I dug out the cardboard set and all the models for the first time in over a decade and set it up especially to share here. I also took individual photos of the toys.

The same figures, or slight variants thereof, have been released multiple times since (possibly before too?), sometimes at slightly reduced sizes and/or in harder plastics, and sometimes with additional figures as well (e.g. Dimetrodon). For example, I believe the figures were released by a company called Mech. However, the versions I'm personally familiar with are these slightly larger and softer ones distributed by Panini. The undersides of the toys are marked with the animal name, [edit - a number (1-24)] and "China", but no company details, so Panini might not be (and probably wasn't) the manufacturer. The other smaller versions of these figures don't have the animal name printed on. If anyone can shed any light onto this question it would be helpful.

Enjoy!

The constructed play set with figures (when I was a kid I taped over the holes in the set to stop the figures falling through). 

The full list of 24 figures is as follows:

Ankylosaurus

Apatosaurus

Brachiosaurus

Camptosaurus

Coelodonta

Corythosaurus

Cynognathus

Diatryma

Dimetrodon

Elasmosaurus

Ichthyosaurus

Iguanodon

Mammoth

Moropus  (this is not the original Panini version, which I certainly owned but seem to have misplaced, but a smaller version)

Palaeoscincus

Parasaurolophus

Polacanthus

Protoceratops

Pteranodon (this is not the original Panini version, which I certainly owned but seem to have misplaced, but a smaller version)

Smilodon

Stegosaurus

Triceratops

Tylosaurus

Tyrannosaurus

Dinomike

That is a lovely set! Good photos too! Panini as a brand is familiar from my childhood as well - mostly because of their stickers.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

stargatedalek

I have the three marine reptiles and the diatryma, I also have multiple versions of the icthyosaurus.

Roselaar

One of my most fondly remembered dinosaur lines. In my case, this may have actually been the line that got the collecting ball rolling at age. Still have the sticker book (with all stickers) and all the figures. The play set is still in the attic somewhere, but probably won't look as good as yours.

Aside from the species name and 'China', each figure also carries a number (1-24) on its belly. I'm noticing the Dimetrodon and Coelodonta are missing their own pics in the first post, how come?

RobinGoodfellow

Panini was an italian company.
That's the original stickers album "Prehistoric Animals" ( from my childhood )  ::)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Roselaar on April 02, 2015, 08:42:46 PM
One of my most fondly remembered dinosaur lines. In my case, this may have actually been the line that got the collecting ball rolling at age. Still have the sticker book (with all stickers) and all the figures. The play set is still in the attic somewhere, but probably won't look as good as yours.

Aside from the species name and 'China', each figure also carries a number (1-24) on its belly. I'm noticing the Dimetrodon and Coelodonta are missing their own pics in the first post, how come?

Oh, yes, I forgot about the numbers on the undersides. So, there are 24.

I made a typo in the Coelodonta photo URL - it should work now.

I have a version of a Dimetrodon figure, but I wasn't sure it was part of the original set as it doesn't appear in the publicity photo I mentioned. It must be hiding behind a tree ;) I'll photograph it in due course, but I'd be interested to see a photo of yours too, for comparison. What number is it, by the way?

DinoToyForum

Here's a photo of the Dimetrodon I have, is it essentially the same as the original Panini version?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on April 02, 2015, 08:57:14 PM
Panini was an italian company.
That's the original stickers album "Prehistoric Animals" ( from my childhood )  ::)

Yes, that's it! (but mine has an English title). I think I also had a different version of the sticker album as well, an older one with a different cover. But I can't remember.

Gwangi

That's a really cool little collection. If I had any growing up, I don't remember them. I think I have a few currently in a box in the attic though. The obscure species are by far the coolest, and some of the best designed too.

laticauda

I only remember Panini as stickers.  Very nice collection!

Arul

Nice collection Dr  ;)

Jetoar

I have some figures of Panini and they are one of my first figures of dinos  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

joossa

I like the art on that sticker! :)
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: joossa on April 03, 2015, 12:18:41 AM
I like the art on that sticker! :)

That's the front of the sticker album. I defaced the cover of my copy with duplicate stickers.  :-[

Iohannes

Hello everyone! Together with this book (http://www.ebay.it/itm/DINOSAURI-del-cielo-del-mare-della-terra-1991-FR-MELITA-EDITORI-/111147196158), that Panini sticker album is what sparked my interest in prehistoric animals  ^-^

And it was well before the release of "Jurassic Park" in cinemas.

Unfortunately my cardboard scenario went missing (i.e. destroyed: it was quite lightweight and not very stable), but I still have all those mini figures and the album.

I loved (and I still love) the pictures of the stickers: many of them are Burian rip-offs, which looked very lifelike to my eyes  8)

RobinGoodfellow

The Panini's stickers were taken from a 1971 book for children.
Probably it was an italian translation from an english dinosaur book ( I don't know).
Art by Andrew W. Allen, Zdenek Burian and more.

Some illustrations:

Roselaar

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 02, 2015, 09:19:29 PM
Here's a photo of the Dimetrodon I have, is it essentially the same as the original Panini version?

Here's a group shot of my original Paninisaurs (I got them all back in the day  :) ), with the Dimetrodon luckily in the foreground. I don't think I could get as good a close-up of the figure as you provided. But I think it suffices to spot the differences. The spikes on the sail don't stick out as much and it has less yellowish colouring. Its numbered 12.

DinoToyForum

Thanks very much! So the Dimetrodon is number 12, that fits the gap in my sequence, perfect. Mine is obviously a slightly different version but I'll add it to the original post anyway, with a note.

This means that I'm officially missing three of the original numbered figures from my collection: the Moropus, Pteranodon, and Dimetrodon. The first two I definitely had at one point, but I have misplaced them. The Dimetrodon I never had (or realised existed), although I should have noticed the gap in the numbered sequence - I probably did back in the day but presumed it was an error.

The other two numbers missing from my sequence are 3 and 22, so I guess the Pteranodon and Moropus are these numbers?

Now I really want those three missing original numbered figures, even though I do have them as different versions! Anyone have any duplicates for trade or sale? I have three duplicates of the original numbered figures I'd be happy to trade if anyone is interested: the Corythosaurus, Tylosaurus, and Diatryma.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on April 03, 2015, 12:54:42 PM
The Panini's stickers were taken from a 1971 book for children.
Probably it was an italian translation from an english dinosaur book ( I don't know).
Art by Andrew W. Allen, Zdenek Burian and more.

Thanks for sharing! I always liked the sticker artwork so nice to know where it originated from.

Roselaar

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 03, 2015, 01:45:40 PM

The other two numbers missing from my sequence are 3 and 22, so I guess the Pteranodon and Moropus are these numbers?

Now I really want those three missing original numbered figures, even though I do have them as different versions! Anyone have any duplicates for trade or sale? I have three duplicates of the original numbered figures I'd be happy to trade if anyone is interested: the Corythosaurus, Tylosaurus, and Diatryma.

Correct on those numbers 3 and 22, respectively.

Can't help you on the Pteranodon, but I have a spare good looking Dimetrodon and a decent Moropus with a slightly gimpy leg. PM me if interested. ;)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.