You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 05, 2015, 06:45:42 AM
Quote from: loru1588 on September 05, 2015, 04:07:59 AM
Battat is vying for more shelf space. Target is in the process of redoing the toy dept to make is less gender specific, so that may be why some of the toys are being discounted.

Good to hear; hopefully something comes from Battat's lobbying. Your models deserve much more shelf spaces than they're getting at the moment! Especially since I'm getting worried we'll lose access to older models whenever new ones are released!

The Target I usually go to seems to have moved the end cap to a different section, probably part of re-doing the toy section. Still just the end cap, but they had all the repaints and seem to have given more space to the dinosaurs there, I think they had less of the fantasy figures. Got the Carno, Acro, and Tyranno (trying to limit myself to sculpts I didn't have before but that might change once the new Triceratops and Styracosaurs come out, love those color schemes.)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

terrorchicken

QuoteOn the originals, seemingly random white stripes were painted down the lower jaw to indicate teeth. Yet the finely sculpted teeth got none of that white paint! They remained in the overall body green paint.

gosh yes that bugged me so much! cant wait to get the new version!

Victoria's Cantina

Is anyone collecting only the repaints but not the new sculpts?

Victoria's Cantina

Today's haul. I'm really getting into these.

Are the horns on anyone else's Carnotaurus asymmetrical? Also, are the Terra dinos more or less in scale with each other? My Pachyrhino looks huge next to these new guys.

Gwangi

Yes, they're all 1:40 scale. There was a reason why the Pachyrhinosaurus was so large but I can't remember what it was, maybe based on a large specimen? And yes, the horns on my (and others) Carnotaurus are asymmetrical.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gwangi on September 08, 2015, 10:39:39 PM
Yes, they're all 1:40 scale. There was a reason why the Pachyrhinosaurus was so large but I can't remember what it was, maybe based on a large specimen? And yes, the horns on my (and others) Carnotaurus are asymmetrical.
The Pachyrhino was indeed based off a large specimen with a massive skull.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Halichoeres

I think Pachyrhinosaurus really could get that large (and Amargasaurus is really that small!). But Cryolophosaurus and Nanshiungosaurus are both closer to 1:30 by my measurements.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Victoria's Cantina

Thanks for the responses, guys! The only one I'm missing now is the nanshiungosaurus.

I can't decide whether or not to keep the packaging for these. I tried putting my T-Rex and Acro back in their boxes, but it's kinda hard to get them back in as I don't want to damage them with the twist ties. I could just leave them in their boxes and not open them, but what fun is that?

Takama

I just Cut the Information off of the boxes  and keep them like Collector Cards.   

amargasaurus cazaui

I just get two or three of each, a set to keep boxed, one to get repainted and a stock display set generally....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

I thought about keeping the boxes too but ultimately tossed them. I have a lot of stuff, I don't need cardboard boxes adding to the clutter.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Takama on September 09, 2015, 02:17:44 AM
I just Cut the Information off of the boxes  and keep them like Collector Cards.

That's actually not a bad idea.

Quote from: Gwangi on September 09, 2015, 03:23:32 AM
I thought about keeping the boxes too but ultimately tossed them. I have a lot of stuff, I don't need cardboard boxes adding to the clutter.

That's what I'm leaning toward doing as well. I like the boxes but they're just another thing to take up space.

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 09, 2015, 02:35:56 AM
I just get two or three of each, a set to keep boxed, one to get repainted and a stock display set generally....

Three of each, wow!

How are you guys storing them if they're not on display? I was thinking of maybe some quart-sized Ziplock baggies to hopefully prevent the paint from rubbing, and then placing them in a small storage bin. However, I've heard good and bad things about plastic baggies. Admittedly, I keep most of my action figures in snack-sized baggies and then organize them into bins.

amargasaurus cazaui

Some simple facts for collecting anything....ziplocks and such are basically plastic that is loaded with harmful acids which damage anything collectible stored long term. You are best served in an ideal situation using acid free bags like are used in comic book collecting, for storing and housing anything collectible. Acid free backing boards are also availible and often make for a great method of backing something before bagging it. Storage in any large plastic container is again a case of acid soaked plastic that can release harmful chemicals over long term to your items. However at times it is a trade off, to prevent moisture or insects. The collectibles I store in my basement are backed with acid free cards, and stored in acid free bags, but I find myself using storage tubs that seal to prevent moisture and such anyways. Alot of what to do is determined by how long, where and what....but ziplock bags are problematic for any length of time.

tyrantqueen

I don't own any of the new Battats yet but if/when I do buy them I will dispose of the box. I already have enough boxes lying around because of my Masterpiece Transformers collection (where the box is considered to be almost as important as the toy itself) and I don't want to add to the clutter any more :-\

Paleona

I've kept the boxes, but I like Takama's idea of cutting off the information!  I don't plan to ever put them back into their boxes, but I just feel like they were so well designed that I don't want to throw them away, haha.  In due time, I'm sure.

If you're looking for an alternative to ziplock bags, I like to wrap figures I want to protect in paper towel.  It's just enough padding to prevent paint rubs, granted you're not shaking it around a lot, and they don't shift too much in boxes. 

123hellobgbg

123hellobgbg

Quote from: Victoria B on September 08, 2015, 09:56:02 PM
Today's haul. I'm really getting into these.

Is that a dacentrurus? Or kentrosaurus near the right boxes?
Are the horns on anyone else's Carnotaurus asymmetrical? Also, are the Terra dinos more or less in scale with each other? My Pachyrhino looks huge next to these new guys.

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

terrorchicken

QuoteThe collectibles I store in my basement are backed with acid free cards, and stored in acid free bags, but I find myself using storage tubs that seal to prevent moisture and such anyways. Alot of what to do is determined by how long, where and what....but ziplock bags are problematic for any length of time.
wow really? thanks for the tip! I tend to use plastic storage boxes and tubs alot for storing figures and dolls. Now Im kinda worried about the acid destroying them. I really dont know where its best to keep them. Ive heard cardboard( like with cardboard boxes) can be bad for certain vinyls too. :(

QuoteI think Pachyrhinosaurus really could get that large (and Amargasaurus is really that small!). But Cryolophosaurus and Nanshiungosaurus are both closer to 1:30 by my measurements.

arent the edmontonia and euplocephalus too big for 1:40? they are about the same size in length as the triceratops!

joossa

Quote from: Jetoar on September 09, 2015, 05:26:03 PM
Wondefull battats but in Ebay are really expensive  :(.

There are other sources. I know some of our forum members might have them available for non-US members. Halichoeres has them available in his sale thread.

Also, Dean from DeJankins has them available for non-US customers (per his blog). His prices are really reasonable, so it might be worth checking it out.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: