You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Entering the field, we are REBOR! 1:35 scale Yutyrannus Huali museum class model

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, August 28, 2014, 11:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Aaron's Yutyrannus is not a mass-produced toy figure, which is what we are discussing here.

Its a resin sculpt and I must say it is fabulous.  But its way above the grade of mass-produced figures and thus not directly comparable.

That paint-up is wonderfully understated.  Would love to see someone attempt a little brighter job on it.

On another note, this "new member" is actually a seller hawking its wares.  Would have been nice if they had come around to solicit suggestions first.

Gwangi

Aaron Doyle's Yutyrannus is very nice. I think the reason it has not been brought up yet is because most of the members commenting so far don't collect these models? I know I don't, but I also know I should.

Gwangi

Quote from: Simon on August 29, 2014, 01:40:53 AM
On another note, this "new member" is actually a seller hawking its wares.  Not the same thing.  Would have been nice if they had come around to solicit suggestions first.

Or asked our opinions on it at least instead of basically telling us how great it is? Something like..."we're a new company and this is our first model, what do you guys think of it? Any suggestions for future releases?"...yeah, that sort of introduction would have been preferable.

Takama

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 29, 2014, 01:29:47 AM
I feel a bit upset by the way a newcomer is treated here C:-)!!

I am too ::), and I am the one who  kindly asked him to join this forum in the first place because I figured people would be interested in this new line. And I think The model looks great for a first one, even if it is under feathered.     

Patrx

Clearly a lot of talent involved in this sculpt, but man, it really is disappointing feather-wise. Finally, a mass-produced, detailed, affordable (probably) Yutyrannus figure - and it's about as fluffy as an alligator. So close, yet so far  :'(
Also: "Y-rex"?

Gwangi

Quote from: Takama on August 29, 2014, 01:49:53 AM

I am too ::), and I am the one who  kindly asked him to join this forum in the first place because I figured people would be interested in this new line. And I think The model looks great for a first one, even if it is under feathered.   

I don't think most of us are out of line by critiquing the model, that's naturally what we're going to do. Skimping on feathers was a big mistake for this particular dinosaur. If it was a similarly made Allosaurus or other theropod I would have better things to say about it.  Good first attempt but not up to par with what I expect a Yutyrannus to look like. I understand the hesitation by companies to add feathers but a dinosaur like this is the exception to that. I knew the second I saw it where this thread was going to go.

Simon

Quote from: Gwangi on August 29, 2014, 02:06:38 AM
Quote from: Takama on August 29, 2014, 01:49:53 AM

I don't think most of us are out of line by critiquing the model, that's naturally what we're going to do. Skimping on feathers was a big mistake for this particular dinosaur. If it was a similarly made Allosaurus or other theropod I would have better things to say about it.  Good first attempt but not up to par with what I expect a Yutyrannus to look like. I understand the hesitation by companies to add feathers but a dinosaur like this is the exception to that. I knew the second I saw it where this thread was going to go.

Yes indeed.  I did a double take and had to move THIS CLOSE to the screen because I saw no feathers.  If you make a dinosaur that is known for its feathers first, middle and last, and then you come up with a model that at first glance doesn't even look feathered, well, you'd have to be pretty daft to say you didn't anticipate the criticism!

I will dare to opine that this sculpt was first done sans feathers, which were then probably added by puttying over the model.  At least that is what it looks like - a feathered afterthought.

Lastly, I am going to take a wild guess that the price for this figure will leave many people disappointed.  Think:  North of $100USD

stoneage

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 29, 2014, 12:41:25 AM
I don't have any problem with the colors, but the feathering is very poor, in fact as far as I know the actual fossil shows more feathers. So Rebor Studio, for future reference, be a lot more generous with feathering. Remember, most dinosaurs probably looked like big flightless birds, no need to try to make them look scary (Ultimatedinoking, don't even think about started your whole "no feathers on big theropods" argument on here, you're just wasting everyone's time).

Why do you feel the need to attack Ultimatedinoking when he has not even made a comment on this thread.  I getting real tired of this constant bickering when it really isn't even necessary.  On the Dinosaur Island thread you and others took up a page or so talking about the debate should be taken to the proof of feathers thread.  Yet you still went on and on about it.  Look Ultimatedinoking has a right to think anything he wants.  Why keep attacking him when you can simply ignore him.  Everybody has heard your opinion so why not just talk in a civil manner about how you like the figure.

As far as the figure goes I can't see how a thin line of feathers down the back could keep it warm in the winter as stated.  Also I can't help but think that its stance is based on the Papo Allosaurus.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stoneage on August 29, 2014, 02:19:22 AM
Why do you feel the need to attack Ultimatedinoking when he has not even made a comment on this thread.  I getting real tired of this constant bickering when it really isn't even necessary.  On the Dinosaur Island thread you and others took up a page or so talking about the debate should be taken to the proof of feathers thread.  Yet you still went on and on about it.  Look Ultimatedinoking has a right to think anything he wants.  Why keep attacking him when you can simply ignore him.  Everybody has heard your opinion so why not just talk in a civil manner about how you like the figure.

As far as the figure goes I can't see how a thin line of feathers down the back could keep it warm in the winter as stated.  Also I can't help but think that its stance is based on the Papo Allosaurus.
Yes, he does have the right to think whatever he wants. He does not, however, have the right to post about it and start pages long arguments about it in almost every thread. Also, "On the Dinosaur Island thread you and others took up a page or so talking about the debate should be taken to the proof of feathers thread"? In that and in the 2015 Hopes and Dreams thread I told him about five times to take the argument to the Feathering Proof thread if he really felt the need to discuss it, but did he listen? No! He completely ignored it, it seems he feels he must troll every single thread with these arguments. BTW, "Tyrannosaurus did not have feathers" is not really an argument. Also, I am just as tired of this as you are, I specifically said that because I don't want another stupid argument about why dinosaurs "just can't have feathers" and I know very well that he would have started one. Now, this conversation is over and let's get back to actually discussing the figure that this thread is about.
Also, as for the people saying that everyone judging this model is being unfair, Yutyrannus is well-known to have been almost completely covered in feathers and yet they put barely any on the model :)). If they do that, how can they not expect criticism? Also, it is extremely ridiculous how people insist on putting almost no to no feathers on dinosaurs when all evidence points to the opposite.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Saurian

it is possible that all the reconstruction of dinosaurs wrong, imagine how paleontologists portrayed modern animals, they will not look like himself, so I would not criticize him because of the color of the teeth or  :)
Amazing figure !!
Show us another figure !! It's like a living being, I want to buy it
Make zabaikalicus  ;)
Soory,my English is poor

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Saurian on August 29, 2014, 02:43:05 AM
it is possible that all the reconstruction of dinosaurs wrong, imagine how paleontologists portrayed modern animals, they will not look like himself, so I would not criticize him because of the color of the teeth or  :)
Amazing figure !!
Show us another figure !! It's like a living being, I want to buy it
Make zabaikalicus  ;)
I agree, it is impossible to make an absolutely correct depiction of any dinosaurs that aren't alive today because we'll never know exactly how they really looked, but we should at least attempt to make them as accurate as possible.

If they make Kulindadromeus, they better feather it correctly.

EDIT: Also, Rebor Studio, this is a good example of what Yutyrannus should look like:

I hope to see better models in the future, this could be a great company if you pay more attention to accuracy. PS: Please don't use "rex" in any of the species' names unless it is actually part of the scientific name.

Saurian

almost reconstruction accuracy does not exist, but I agree that the feathers are too few    :)

I think that T Rex was not feathers, no large animals in the southern parts of the world where big indumentum . :) Maybe, T Rex have fuzz, as modern rhinos and elephants, but not feathers, where  lived yatirannus was cold and so had feathers,  American big Tyrannosaurid  skin structure and no trace of feathers. I know you will say that this is not proof, but there are no large animals in the southern hemisphere with a big indumentum.   ;)
Soory,my English is poor

Yutyrannus

You're right I don't agree that Tyrannosaurus did not have feathers, but I really don't want to start another argument even if it's in the right thread. It's just pointless.

Blade-of-the-Moon

My first thought it was a new Papo figure..my second thought was it was a customized Papo Allosaurus. Maybe the same fellow sculpted it ?

I'd accept it as a cool figure of maybe another species besides Yutyrannus. Hopefully the pricing is similar to Papo. 

DinoLord

Blade now that you bring that up it does look pretty close to the Papo Allosaurus (mainly in the legs and tail). The detail is certainly on Papo's level. If they pay more attention to accuracy w/ future models they could have a really strong line on their hands.

stargatedalek

Its an alright figure, but if you are going to advertise "museum class" than you should be prepared for people to have high expectations of accuracy

Seijun

From wiki:
"The feathers covered various parts of the body. With the holotype they were present on the pelvis and the foot. Specimen ZCDM V5000 had feathers on the tail pointing backwards under an angle of 30° with the tail axis. The smallest specimen showed 20 centimetre (7.9 inch)-long filaments on the neck and 16 centimetre (6.3 inch)-long feathers at the upper arm. Based on this distribution, they may have covered the whole body and served in regulating temperature"

This may be slightly OT, but I have read multiple places that the fossils showed feathers on the feet.. Yet I can't think of any Yutyrannus models with feathered feet. Is there a reason for this?

Also, regarding the model, I think it looks like a good generic theropod, very papo-like, wonderful level of detail, but not the best Yutyrannus.  It seems very likely at this point that Yutyrannus was fully or nearly fully covered in feathers. And I think calling it Y-rex (presumably to make it seem "cooler" by aligning it with T-rex) is just silly.. :p
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Seijun on August 29, 2014, 04:51:09 AM
From wiki:
"The feathers covered various parts of the body. With the holotype they were present on the pelvis and the foot. Specimen ZCDM V5000 had feathers on the tail pointing backwards under an angle of 30° with the tail axis. The smallest specimen showed 20 centimetre (7.9 inch)-long filaments on the neck and 16 centimetre (6.3 inch)-long feathers at the upper arm. Based on this distribution, they may have covered the whole body and served in regulating temperature"

This may be slightly OT, but I have read multiple places that the fossils showed feathers on the feet.. Yet I can't think of any Yutyrannus models with feathered feet. Is there a reason for this?
When it says, feet it apparently meant feathers were preserved on the metatarsals, still it is pretty weird that no models really seem to show this.

Quote from: Seijun on August 29, 2014, 04:51:09 AM
Also, regarding the model, I think it looks like a good generic theropod, very papo-like, wonderful level of detail, but not the best Yutyrannus.  It seems very likely at this point that Yutyrannus was fully or nearly fully covered in feathers. And I think calling it Y-rex (presumably to make it seem "cooler" by aligning it with T-rex) is just silly.. :p
I agree, calling it "Y-rex" is pretty ridiculous.

joossa

I really like it if I think of it as a general theropod figure. Looks really nice and like something I would display with the rest of my collection. :)
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Takama

here is there Instagram for those of you who don't use it. You wont be able to get this page any other way without signing up.

http://instagram.com/rebor_studio

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: