News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which dinosaurs lived alongside Carnotaurus?

Started by SpittersForEver, September 13, 2014, 11:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpittersForEver

I was thinking about writing a short story about carnotaurus.
which other dinosaurs lived alongside carnotaurus?
any help will be appreciated.

SpittersForEver

sorry this is in the wrong category I Didn't realise.

DinoToyForum

I've moved the topic for you. I've also retitled it. In the future, please make sure your topic titles give some indication of the content of the posts. Topics such as " I need some help" could be about absolutely anything. We shouldn't have to click to find out if you're simply looking for palaeo advice, or if you've fallen down a well.

Dinoguy2

So far Cartnotaurus is the only dino known from its formation. Saltasaurus is known from a different formation with a slightly different ecosystem that dates to about the same time period but so far their fossils have never been found together, implying they lived in separate ecosystems.

Contemporaries of Carnotaurus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Colonia_Formation

Contemporaries of Saltasaurus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecho_Formation

Carnotaurus, like Majungasaurus and some other abelisaurs, seems to have lived in a swampy environment with lots of crocs, amphibians, and turtles. I have to wonder if maybe their short, stout skulls and possibly aquatic adaptations (deep tails, tiny legs, minimal arms, almost similar to the "new" Spinosaurus) are adaptations for turtle-eating!

Lecho Formation with Saltasaurus and Noasaurus was a seashore ecosystem. I'd bet Salta only came there to nest.

UPDATE: My mistake, there's also a fragmentary, unnamed hadrosaurid. I've updated Wiki!
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SpittersForEver

DC

Interesting question.

besides the titianosurs like Saltasaurus and some much larger ones there was a hadrosur, refered to Kritosaurus, a raptor and a nodosaur maybe like mimni or edmontonia.  Carnotaur fossils are rare but typically carnivores have much broader ecological ranges than plant eaters so you could expect to find it or a close relative in the nearby formations from the same period.  It looks like the other big theropod groups are gone by this point and while there are hardrosurs, the tyrannosaurs did not make it south.  Novas has  a book about South American dinosaurs that provides a table of the dinosurs for the sucessive periods in South America that would give you an idea of the range and changes.   
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Dinoguy2

DC

Neuquina basin late campanian early masstrichtian
large carnotine abielosaurs
saltasaurine Titianosaurs
lambesaurine and hadrosaurine ornithopods
Ankyleosaurs
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Arul

Quote from: DC on October 05, 2014, 04:08:56 PM
Neuquina basin late campanian early masstrichtian
large carnotine abielosaurs
saltasaurine Titianosaurs
lambesaurine and hadrosaurine ornithopods
Ankyleosaurs

Carnotaurus and ankylosaurs, seem good idea for a story  :D

laticauda

Saltasaurus and I think Giganotosaurus lived at the same time in the same neighborhood.  In fact Giganotosaurus makes a good villain as the larger predator typically becomes the mean bully in stories. 

Dinoguy2

Quote from: laticauda on November 06, 2014, 01:23:01 AM
Saltasaurus and I think Giganotosaurus lived at the same time in the same neighborhood.  In fact Giganotosaurus makes a good villain as the larger predator typically becomes the mean bully in stories.

Giganotosaurus lived over 10 million years earlier during the Cenomanian (97 million years ago). Carnotaurus and Saltasaurus were Maastrichtian (about 70 million years ago).

laticauda

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on November 06, 2014, 06:04:55 PM
Quote from: laticauda on November 06, 2014, 01:23:01 AM

Giganotosaurus lived over 10 million years earlier during the Cenomanian (97 million years ago). Carnotaurus and Saltasaurus were Maastrichtian (about 70 million years ago).
You are correct, for some reason I thought they lived closer together.  But maybe you could add Dreadnoughtus.  That would be neat.
Others:  Noasaurus, which is a small Abelisaurus.  There are lots of primitive birds as well such as: Elbretornis, Enantiornis, Soroavisaurus, and Lectavis.

Remember dates and placement can be shaky due to the small amount of fossil evidence that has been found on most of the South American Dinosaurs.  So I would think you have quite a lot of room to use different species, that theoretically could have existed in same location at the same time.  Carnotaurus is known from one almost complete skeleton, so who knows how big or small its distribution could have been.  Maybe it only lived in that one area feasting on Snakes, Mammals, lungfish, and Titanosaurs.

Arul

If carnotaurus lived im the same time with ankylosaurus, did they lived in the same region ?

Manatee

No. Ankylosaurus lived in the northern US and southern Canada, while Carnotaurus lived in Patagonia. Besides, they didn't live at the same time; Carnotaurus's estimated extinction is about 3 mya earlier than Ankylosaurus's first known remains.

therizinosaurus

Quote from: ARUL on November 22, 2014, 11:35:41 AM
If carnotaurus lived im the same time with ankylosaurus, did they lived in the same region ?

Not Ankylosaurus the genus, but other ankylosaurs, yes.

Arul

Ohh okay  :) is northern US and southern canada located in one continent that time ?

Manatee

Quote from: ARUL on November 22, 2014, 10:55:26 PM
Ohh okay  :) is northern US and southern canada located in one continent that time ?
Yes. Northern US and southern Canada make up the northern parts of both Laramidia and Appalachia.

Arul

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.