You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Greg Paul and Allosaurus neck anatomy

Started by Dikiyoba, September 20, 2014, 09:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dikiyoba

In looking through The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs, I noticed that Greg Paul draws most of his theropods with a downward-facing skull and sometimes even downturned necks. It's especially obvious with Allosaurus, which practically ends up with an arch for a neck.

Albertosaurus for additional comparison

Is this at all correct or "realistic"? I would expect theropods to have held their heads and especially the distal portion of their neck in a straight, horizontal posture as the "default" pose, not to have a neck that suddenly descends where it meets the skull.

tyrantqueen

Theropods do have a gentle S curve to their necks. But most people avoid using GSP's skeletal's nowadays, due to his weird anatomical quirks and his other...issues. It's a better idea to stick to Hartman's skeletals if you need reference.

I would love if Mr. Hartman would publish his own volume.

Gorgonzola

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 20, 2014, 09:59:55 PM

I would love if Mr. Hartman would publish his own volume.

Would buy it in a second sight unseen, won't even lie. Heck, I STILL have been meaning to buy the Princeton Guide.  Checked it out sometime last year from the library and I loved it.
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

Blade-of-the-Moon

I have to agree. Scott's skeletals are much more informative to me.

fabricious

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 20, 2014, 09:59:55 PMI would love if Mr. Hartman would publish his own volume.

Agreed on all accounts.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.