News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

diorama materials

Started by reinier zwanink, September 22, 2014, 11:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reinier zwanink

Greetings fellow dino fans
My name is reinier zwanink
When i was young i loved dinos but this changed to tanks when i got older
Now 25 years later my 3 year old son got me hooked again good and boy did it all change.
Now after a long quest i found myself a apatosaurus from sideshow and it was a real thrill to get it
But having found a nice spot here for i  want to fill the place with some scale plants.
There are some ideas that i have seen but what do you guys  use to get a good result?

Hi,

what scale is that kit, please?

Bye!

Arul

Greetings :) What kind of plant do you want ? (Moss,wide leaf,trees,or else)

reinier zwanink

If the apato was indeed 4.8 meter high its about 1/20 scale
Any type of plant will do
Mixed even better ;D

Arul

Quote from: reinier zwanink on September 22, 2014, 03:14:18 PM
If the apato was indeed 4.8 meter high its about 1/20 scale
Any type of plant will do
Mixed even better ;D

Wow...almost 5 meter  :o i usually use sawdust for moss,paper for wide leaf plant,and any fiber for trees leaf hehehe just like in my pic :D

paleoferroequine

Hi there,

Check out the model railroad products for ground cover. Ground foam can represent moss covering on trees and ground. Unfortunately most train scales are much too small for the other plants not to mention the wrong types. Big conifer types, ginkgoes, ferns, horsetails, tree ferns and cycads would be appropriate. That period of time and place was semi arid with wet and dry seasons. Vegetation tended to grow in the river and lake bank areas.

Here is a web site that sell stuff for dioramas in 1/35th scale, still small but better. Some of the photo-etched paper ferns can be used to make tree ferns and even cycads(use round pine cones for the trunks, pine cone cores for tree ferns.)

http://www.milminwh.com/groundwork_%26_diorama_aids.htm

Tree fern

Pine cone core           

reinier zwanink

Your pine cone idea is a great one
A little paint and its the real deal

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.