You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

"Dinosaur Sculpting: A Complete Guide" - Any thoughts on the Second Edition?

Started by Lithographica, September 27, 2014, 07:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lithographica

Hello all;

I see there is a new, second edition out of "Dinosaur Sculpting: A Complete Guide" by Allen A. Debus, Bob Morales and Diane Debus. I have the original version (which came out in 1995) and that was a very useful and inspiring book. The second edition is being marketed on Amazon as "greatly expanded from the 1995 first edition". I was wondering, has anyone on the forum had the chance to read and compare both editions? I wonder, does the second edition have sufficient new content (e.g. new chapters, colour photos, etc.) to justify its purchase if you have already read the first edition? The cover of the new edition looks very handsome, but it comes with a pretty hefty price tag!

Thanks, John.

tyrantqueen

I have the second edition and I love it. I never had the chance or the money to get the first one. From what I have read from my copy, the authors have added more material to every chapter, re-written parts of the introduction and revamped chapter two completely.

QuoteThe cover of the new edition looks very handsome, but it comes with a pretty hefty price tag!
Indeed, but you should see the price of the first edition >:D

Alexxitator

I have read it back to back and some more and love the book! There are no color illustrations but it does not need it.
This book does not take you by the hand and guides you in their chosen direction. Instead it gives you tips and pointers and things to ponder on and find out for yourself. It encourages you to find your own way and make your own mistakes.
It is very pleasantly written and I would recommend it to anyone interested in this form of paleo-art.
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

brandem

Maybe it is because I have the ebook and so maybe it is a little different but while well composed I didn't find the book very helpful. There is more about the creative process and rundown of specific genera than of actual tips and techniques.

reinier zwanink

Having read the book guys
Does someone with no sculpting skills have a good guide with this book?

Alexxitator

Well, I had never before sculpted any dinosaurs and have started sculpting after reading this book. So that would be a yes  ;)
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.