News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sumo

"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

sauroid

i saw some copies of the first wave CollectA (Lexovisaurus, Polacanthus, Eustreptospondylus, etc.) in a small concession stand toy store while roaming around an upscale mall. they arent really recasts because they're much bigger and even uglier than the originals. solid plastics, heavy with a glaring seam at the middle of the body. wish i took some pics.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Viking Spawn

Just seen a knock off Rebor Ceratosaurus from a Chinese Ebay seller recently.  I'll have to go back and post the link when I find it again! 

DinoG

I just hope all these copies don't hurt the companies too much
Run!

MLMjp

I just had an experience today

I walked into a toy shop to see what they got. There was a self full of a mix of schleich,some collectas, papos and other unnamed figures.

I spotted a figure that look like the Papo running T. rex, but it was BROWN, and for a moment I though: OH MY......IT IS.......a Knock-off. >:( :'( >:( :'( >:( :'(

In fact there where a few knock-offs in the mix.

Dilopho

Even though these are bootlegs, I love how adorable the photos and bad grammar are. Who is the king of dinosaur? Will we ever know?

Dilopho

What sort of parent puts a tattoo on their egg???

Megalosaurus

When I was a kid, bootlegs used to be super cheap. Now they ask a lot of money for what they are.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

I'm against knock-offs.  Although, I find that Rebor Tyrannosaurus knock-off looks much nicer than the figure it's a knock-off of.  It can stand on its own!  And, the pupil is correctly in the centre of the eye.  It also doesn't have those dark patches around the eyes and somehow their absence makes that knock-off look more like an animal and less like something with an exaggerated expression, to me.

LophoLeeVT

who would make a stupid mistake on the y rex to be called a carnotaurus i mean they look so different from each other ugh....
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

joossa

Quote from: Sim on January 06, 2016, 11:53:13 PM
I'm against knock-offs.  Although, I find that Rebor Tyrannosaurus knock-off looks much nicer than the figure it's a knock-off of.  It can stand on its own!  And, the pupil is correctly in the centre of the eye.  It also doesn't have those dark patches around the eyes and somehow their absence makes that knock-off look more like an animal and less like something with an exaggerated expression, to me.
We get it... you don't like the Rebor Rex.  ::)

I saw the bootlegged version of the Schleich Kentrosaurus in the mix too:

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

sauroid

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 06, 2016, 06:44:09 PM
When I was a kid, bootlegs used to be super cheap. Now they ask a lot of money for what they are.
they ask a lot of money for what they have stolen
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Viking Spawn

The only part I agree with you is that it can stand on its own without a support.  I'd love for Rebor to redo this figure in a stance similar to the knock off!

CityRaptor

Quote from: raptor64870 on January 07, 2016, 02:11:53 AM
who would make a stupid mistake on the y rex to be called a carnotaurus i mean they look so different from each other ugh....

Never unederesteminnate the ability of the uneducated public when it comes to misnaming. Some will even do it when the name is written right on the figure!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

Quote from: raptor64870 on January 07, 2016, 02:11:53 AM

They call the Rebor Ceratosaurus knock-off a Carnotaurus too!

Quote from: joossa on January 07, 2016, 02:53:23 AM
We get it... you don't like the Rebor Rex.  ::)

Your reply comes across as rude...  I commented on that Tyrannosaurus knock-off because I was struck by how the changes from the original figure which I mentioned made it look more appealing to me.  Nothing I said was unfair or untrue.

Saurox

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 07, 2016, 05:28:32 AM

The only part I agree with you is that it can stand on its own without a support.  I'd love for Rebor to redo this figure in a stance similar to the knock off!

Indeed. I do like the current one, more so with the addition of the fallen queen base, but I too would like to see new sculpt for it.
Although, I kind of want Rebor to be that company that goes beyond rereleasing the same dinosaur species and expanding their roster with more different ones. I like the ones Papo does, and Rebor (in my opinion) just edge papo, but I think 6 t rex's (i think it's six including the new running one) is a little to many.

Saurox

Has anyone seen the 'Megasaurus Saurophagenax'?

The sculpt is very similar to the Papo Allosaurus, but as an interesting turn, the new papo baryonyx looks to have drawn inspiration from the same model.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: