News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

Quote from: Loon on December 22, 2017, 05:16:18 AM
Happy Hanukkah! For $45, you can have your own "quality" Dinosaur Menorah. I never knew the Papo T. Rex was Jewish.

[snipped images]

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Dinosaur-Menorah/112691091564?hash=item1a3ce9986c:g:N6wAAOSwImRYfssb

Take notes, makers of Christmas decorations, because it seems that this year, menorah-makers have put you out of business with this single product.

Loon

@Ravonium, Mayhaps AIG could make some Nativity Scenes with Dinosaurs in it; y'know just to be "accurate".

Shonisaurus

What I do not understand is how the different nations of the world do not pursue such piracy and in this case China. Those knock-off companies are doing a lot of damage to the real toy dinosaur companies that belong to China (PNSO, Recur and eventually Vitae) as foreigners.

These knock-off companies play with hundreds of worthy jobs. It should, as I said, regulate more severely in the face of these criminal attitudes.  >:(

Loon

My general understanding is this: Copyright laws do not extend between countries; China in particular is seemingly lax on copyright law. Most of these knock offs arise from people with access to the original molds, sometimes they are even made in the same factories as the real deal. The manufacturers make these "fly-bly" companies, sell their stock quick and change their name, location, etc. So, I think the combination of a general lack of interest in pursuing copyright infringement by the Chinese government, and the ever shifting hands these molds go through, is the general reason for lack of legal repercussions for these knock offs.

stargatedalek

You also need to consider the origins of this practice. It started off with far less malicious intent, once upon a time bootleg products were made in China for China because so few people could afford imported goods. So there is a (short-term) cultural history of letting these sorts of things slide.

Lanthanotus

Found some Schleich and Papo knock-offs in a local "dollar"-store (well, it's € here), namely Papo's Spinosaurus and sitting T. rex and schleich's Allosaurus and Pentaceratops. "New Canna" was the name branded on the belly and weirdly, the Spinosaurus was very well produced in terms of casting (paint job not so), while the T. rex had very visible seams (and additional ones compared to the original).

Fenestra

This one.
Seven times cheaper than the real thing, (only $7 including shipping),
....and somehow still awsomebro.

IrritatorRaji

Wow, I actually kinda like that more than the real one. I mean, the price is most of the reason why but also the paint job. The muted colours kinda look a little more real to me. The fact that they still used brown is little boring though, brown is just so overused when it comes to dinosaurs, but I still like it more than that blook-soaked-ruthless-killer thing that Rebor were going for.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on November 30, 2017, 10:09:54 PM
Quote from: yankeetrex on November 30, 2017, 01:59:42 PM
And the Star of the bunch.....

I need that, omg.

I'm probably gonna get grilled for this but

I just had to know what this thing looked like in real life. This one was actually recommended to me on Ebay, which I find kinda funny.

Unfortunately it's due to arrive while I'm not in the country, so if anyone's curious as to how good or bad it is it will have to wait til the new year.
(And if it is horrible, at least it was only £11)

ZoPteryx

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on December 22, 2017, 11:02:22 PM
I'm probably gonna get grilled for this but

I just had to know what this thing looked like in real life. This one was actually recommended to me on Ebay, which I find kinda funny.

Unfortunately it's due to arrive while I'm not in the country, so if anyone's curious as to how good or bad it is it will have to wait til the new year.
(And if it is horrible, at least it was only £11)

Congrats!  Hopefully it lives up to the online photos!  :)

Reptilia

Now looks exactly like the Todd Marshall drawing.

Shonisaurus

The truth even if it is an imitation figure looks very well spinosaurus.

IrritatorRaji

Coming to you live from a Gran Canarian market, we have two horrible knockoffs of the Safari Carnegie Brachiosaurus and Miragaia

Also, while I don't believe this is a knock off, we have got a new leaked JW hybrid! I present to you, Dilophospinosaurus  (or Spinolophosaurus, take your pick)

Ravonium

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on December 29, 2017, 09:56:31 AM
Spoiler
[close]

I believe that one of those dinosaurs on the box of the last unlicensed toy you showed takes obvious inspiration from the last Spino Schleich made for their now retired Replicasaurus line.

CityRaptor

The box clearly is inspired by the boxes Schleich uses for figure sets. It however depicts Ouranosaurus.  The figure itself is a knock off of the small Chap Mei Dilophosaurus.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

IrritatorRaji

Look who arrived in the post last night!

More pics of him in the Recent Acquisitions thread (with Papo Baryonyx comparisons)

docronnie

Saw this yesterday at a craft store. Looks like a Schleich knock off:

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

postsaurischian

I'm strictly against any form of knock-offs, bootlegs or piracy, so I won't visit this thread anymore.

IrritatorRaji

This Parasaurolophus with ruptured eyes was recommended to me on Ebay.

I think it's a knock off of Schleich's Replica-Saurus or World of History Parasaurolophus.

sauroid

the punk eye make up is a nice touch...
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: