News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Geoworld and plagiarism

Started by Patrx, October 08, 2014, 02:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manatee

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 20, 2014, 02:19:48 PM
I didn't realize Geoworld is so popular here. What is the appeal? Besides the Guanlong, the models are more or less subpar.

I dislike Geoworld as well, mostly due to their infamous plagiarism and lack of good quality figures; I agree that the Guanlong is better than most, and the new mammals appear to be of decent quality. I would also rather buy CollectAs from a couple years ago than Geoworlds for obscure species.

Takama

Next 20 Cards

NExt 20

Manatee

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but the Jurassic Hunters Jobaria literally has the exact same coloration as the CollectA model.

Takama

Here is the rest of them

tyrantqueen

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 23, 2014, 10:55:10 PM
I spotted some

Oh the irony, they ripped off TWO artists to make one product.   They took Sepp's for the figure, and they took this for the card

Gwangi

Ouch, that's pretty bad.

Don't forget the Australovenator, forever destined to be depicted with leopard spots.

Becklespinax

Manatee

Quote from: Gwangi on October 23, 2014, 11:22:58 PM
Ouch, that's pretty bad.

Don't forget the Australovenator, forever destined to be depicted with leopard spots.

Becklespinax

I instantly spotted that Becklespinax. "Remove the spikes!"

tyrantqueen

That Yangchuanosaurus looks suspiciously like one Mineo Shiraishi's, but I can't put my finger on which one it is.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if every single image was stolen. We just haven't been able to track down which ones they are.

Pachyrhinosaurus

The size comparison picture is the Dinos of China Mamenchisaurus:

[Image Removed]

vs.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoLord

The Agustinia looks very similar to the Procon model

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Pachyrhinosaurus

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

tyrantqueen

Mauro "Raptor86"

Sim

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 24, 2014, 04:01:33 AM
Actually that Acro was directly ripped off of Brett Booth's drawing.

This one: http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_3383/subcat_26847/Acro2New.jpg
I think Pachyrhinosaurus is referring to the Acrocanthosaurus in the size comparison.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Sim on October 25, 2014, 08:19:51 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 24, 2014, 04:01:33 AM
Actually that Acro was directly ripped off of Brett Booth's drawing.

This one: http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_3383/subcat_26847/Acro2New.jpg
I think Pachyrhinosaurus is referring to the Acrocanthosaurus in the size comparison.
Yes, of course. My mistake :)

ItsTwentyBelow

I was never interested by these very poor figures. The way they just exploded onto the scene recently, claiming "scientific accuracy", yet produce this junk, has always seemed so...cheap to me.

These many revelations just make me think less of GeoWorld.

That Eustreptospondylus is a horrible mangling of this nice illustration:

You can see the art style is exactly the same, and they even just copy-and-pasted the left leg for use as the right leg too. Just awful.

The Carnotaurus is an almost perfectly identical copy of artwork from a 2-page spread in The Humongous Book of Dinosaurs by David Norman, 1997. Nearly exact.

No thanks, GeoWorld!

Horridus

Hello, it's me again. Hey, it's been a while.

I had to comment on this, though. Having had a look through the info card images, all of them seem familiar, and some more than others. Other than the ones already described, there are a few obvious GSP knock-offs (the T. rex for example), and even a few that are nabbed from John Sibbick's work for what I like to call the Normanpedia - i.e. the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs, authored by David Norman, from 1985! They illustrations in that book possibly constitute the most ripped-off palaeoart of all time, but even so, it's hard to believe that they're still being copied in 2014. I'd point to the Hypsilophodon for starters.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

DinoLord

Great to see you back Marc! Now that you mention it, some of these are rather Sibbick-like. But then again, his influence has extended pretty far in paleoart so it's hard to say.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: