News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Server issues

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Would be good to maybe make the FB page a rally point for when/if the forum is offline? Just a thought. :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 16, 2015, 09:07:08 AM
Would be good to maybe make the FB page a rally point for when/if the forum is offline? Just a thought. :)

Yes. If something serious happens then I'll post an explanation on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/dinotoyblog), or at least respond to queries as soon as I can. 

sauroid

DTF and ATF have been down during the past few days. what happened?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: sauroid on September 01, 2015, 10:41:11 AM

Don't know, server conked out. Hosts wouldn't respond. Seems better now, but I'll investigate changing servers. It is unacceptable. Sorry for the inconvenience and any frustration caused.

SpittersForEver

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 01, 2015, 10:48:38 AM

Don't know, server conked out. Hosts wouldn't respond. Seems better now, but I'll investigate changing servers. It is unacceptable. Sorry for the inconvenience and any frustration caused.

I noticed this and got a bit worried since its never been down for this long in my experiance...

tyrantqueen

Quote from: SpittersForEver on September 01, 2015, 11:46:25 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 01, 2015, 10:48:38 AM

I noticed this and got a bit worried since its never been down for this long in my experiance...
I think the situation was acerbated yesterday by the fact that it was a bank holiday.

joossa

Glad to see we're back online!  :)

I know how frustrating IT requests can be, especially when dealing with hosting and slow server issues.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: joossa on September 01, 2015, 05:44:22 PM

I know how frustrating IT requests can be, especially when dealing with hosting and slow server issues.

Do you know any reliable hosts!?

The problem is that in the heat of the moment, when the server is down, I vow to move hosts. But as soon as the site comes back up, the urgency goes, and I figure that all servers have downtime, and maybe it won't happen again, and months pass...and then the server goes down and I vow again. Does downtime have to be inevitable?

joossa

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 01, 2015, 07:20:38 PM

The problem is that in the heat of the moment, when the server is down, I vow to move hosts. But as soon as the site comes back up, the urgency goes, and I figure that all servers have downtime, and maybe it won't happen again, and months pass...and then the server goes down and I vow again. Does downtime have to be inevitable?

I don't, unfortunately... at least not commercial ones. I work at a research center at a university and all of our data and documentation are housed on different on-campus servers by our campus' IT department. In the past, we had to deal with chaining schemas, server hosts, license servers, etc. and it's a pain. Downtime isn't a regular occurrence, but it does happen and then, everyone scrambles to fix the issues.

Wish I was more helpful on the commercial hosting front. May other forums will have recommendations? I'm sure must be discussions and recommendations about this online. Hope you're able to find something suitable. :)

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: joossa on September 01, 2015, 08:08:13 PM

I don't, unfortunately... at least not commercial ones. I work at a research center at a university and all of our data and documentation are housed on different on-campus servers by our campus' IT department. In the past, we had to deal with chaining schemas, server hosts, license servers, etc. and it's a pain. Downtime isn't a regular occurrence, but it does happen and then, everyone scrambles to fix the issues.

Wish I was more helpful on the commercial hosting front. May other forums will have recommendations? I'm sure must be discussions and recommendations about this online. Hope you're able to find something suitable. :)

I'll just have to do my research ;) Thanks though :)

Doug Watson

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 01, 2015, 08:32:19 PM
I'll just have to do my research ;) Thanks though :)

I don't go there much anymore but maybe someone else here would know if the STS forum has downtime issues. I know whenever I have gone there it has been up. The admin was a member here, maybe he could let you know who they are with.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Seems like all of them have some problem or other every once in a while. Maybe we could have a simplified version of the forum as a sort of backup/emergency meetup?  That would give us a place to chat while the other is down and everyone would know where to go for the news/status ?

sauroid

i have never experienced downtime issues re: STS in my five years of stay there. maybe  their server/host is more reliable?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

More downtime today for me to apologise for.  :-[

DinoToyForum

Apparently the server that hosts dinotoyblog was hacked the other week, which explains the downtime. The host is still remedying the situation, and this may explain why the blog is particularly slow recently (the forum seems fine), and why the server keeps going offline every now and again. So, apologies again for the downtime, and for the slow page loading times on the blog at the moment. Hopefully it will be back up to speed soon.

DinoToyForum

Apologies for 4-5 hours downtime just now. Hopefully it doesn't continue...  O:-)

Libraraptor

Now I know how withdrawal symptoms feel.  ;D

DinoLord

Whatever happened to the dinotoyforum.com domain? It hasn't been working for a couple of weeks now.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: DinoLord on April 17, 2016, 02:42:35 PM
Whatever happened to the dinotoyforum.com domain? It hasn't been working for a couple of weeks now.

Do you use it? It came up for renewal recently and I decided it wasn't worth keeping, because it just redirected here. It isn't free, but if people use it, I can renew it.

DinoLord

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 17, 2016, 05:28:51 PM
Quote from: DinoLord on April 17, 2016, 02:42:35 PM

Do you use it? It came up for renewal recently and I decided it wasn't worth keeping, because it just redirected here. It isn't free, but if people use it, I can renew it.

It's what I had in my browser as the default domain for the site. Using the dinotoyblog.com domain is fine for me.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: