News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Toy Blog changes

Started by DinoToyForum, April 12, 2012, 01:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

I'll see what I can do about reducing the font size.

Here is the old desktop version (with the top ad cropped off) for comparison with the new. As you can see, the red background has always been there. I actually tried to pick a theme and colours that was as similar to the previous version as possible. :-\

Simon

Now I will temper what I just posted above by acknowledging that SOME of my reaction is just a reaction to the unfamiliar and new.  People can get used to anything, but ... some things are easier on the eyes ...

ITdactyl

Yep, I'm aware the red has always been there - hence the request if we could change it up.  Just a soft request though.

The comparison photos are interesting, the ads seem to be taking a larger space (emphasis on seem) in the new version.  Also, the title header/name of the blog has been relegated to a smaller space.

There's no line of demarcation in the old version as well but since the blog articles occupy a larger area, eyes are immediately drawn to them - the 2 side columns are acting as they should, as supplements to the blog.  In the new version, it seems the 2 side columns are fighting for space/attention with the articles.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ITdactyl on July 15, 2018, 12:50:44 AM
Yep, I'm aware the red has always been there - hence the request if we could change it up.  Just a soft request though.

The comparison photos are interesting, the ads seem to be taking a larger space (emphasis on seem) in the new version.  Also, the title header/name of the blog has been relegated to a smaller space.

There's no line of demarcation in the old version as well but since the blog articles occupy a larger area, eyes are immediately drawn to them - the 2 side columns are acting as they should, as supplements to the blog.  In the new version, it seems the 2 side columns are fighting for space/attention with the articles.

The same ad was in the old version, taking the same amount of space (but in a different position above the menu), but I cropped that off in the screenshot.

Point taken about the width of the sidebars. I'll investigate to see if I can adjust them, along with the font size.  :)

Takama

I will say one thing though

I was reading some of the reviews on there with this new layout, and I liked how the text was larger.   

After navigateing the Website, i can see where your comeing from.    I  grew used to the way the Front page is layed out. But there is too much stuff on the sides (if that makes any sense)   

ITdactyl

;D just casually observing.  Didn't mean to impose  ;D *peace sign*  O:-)

Sim

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 15, 2018, 12:26:16 AM
Here is the old desktop version (with the top ad cropped off) for comparison with the new. As you can see, the red background has always been there. I actually tried to pick a theme and colours that was as similar to the previous version as possible. :-\

I seem to remember the background/theme being blue at one point and preferring that to the red version it was changed to.  I looked at a few Internet Archive captures and found these:

DTB with blue theme: https://web.archive.org/web/20110317010711/http://www.dinotoyblog.com:80/

DTB with grey theme: https://web.archive.org/web/20100603072829/http://www.dinotoyblog.com:80/

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on July 15, 2018, 02:03:42 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 15, 2018, 12:26:16 AM

I seem to remember the background/theme being blue at one point and preferring that to the red version it was changed to.  I looked at a few Internet Archive captures and found these:

DTB with blue theme: https://web.archive.org/web/20110317010711/http://www.dinotoyblog.com:80/

DTB with grey theme: https://web.archive.org/web/20100603072829/http://www.dinotoyblog.com:80/

Yeah, that was way way back, seven years or so, before the blog had a proper identity. Since then, the blog is red, the forum is blue, and the ATF is green. :)

Gwangi

I like the color, font, overall layout. But it is a little chaotic. I don't care for the slide-show gimmick on the home page, especially since the pictures are cropped and the tags obscure the images. Also, I don't like that the actual review is smashed up in the middle. Overall the space dedicated to the review is equal to the space dedicated to the things that bracket it. I don't think the recent post bracket needs such large, bold text. It's distracting. The review you're reading should be the emphasis and it should be east to distinguish the text of the review from everything else around it.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on July 15, 2018, 02:11:21 AM
I like the color, font, overall layout. But it is a little chaotic. I don't care for the slide-show gimmick on the home page, especially since the pictures are cropped and the tags obscure the images. Also, I don't like that the actual review is smashed up in the middle. Overall the space dedicated to the review is equal to the space dedicated to the things that bracket it. I don't think the recent post bracket needs such large, bold text. It's distracting. The review you're reading should be the emphasis and it should be east to distinguish the text of the review from everything else around it.

Yes, on the desktop. But the sidebars disappear completely on smaller screens. In any case, I agree, and will try and make the side bar content less distracting on the desktop view.

Also, are recent posts even necessary in the side bar on the new front page?

ceratopsian

I had another look today on phone and desktop.  I've now found the menu button on my mobile - duh! - and so don't have to scroll down forever to get to the indices.  I think it looks quite good in fact and very usable.

Like others, I find the proportions on the desktop version between the central section and the sidebars not right yet. 

I actually like the see the "recent posts" very much, as it's a good quick way of checking I haven't missed a review that's gone up (now that we can't sign up for e-mail updates).  But I'm not sure we need it in such detail in the sidebar on the left when in essence the central forest of pictures are also "recent posts", not just labelled as such.  The most recent post of all can disappear in the slide show, but this is a minor point.  This seems a bit redundant to me to have the recent posts in lots of detail in two different places right next to each other.

I find it quite good to be able to see "recent comments on posts" - I don't recall noticing this before.

I wonder if it's also perhaps a bit redundant being able to see the author pages and top company pages etc off on the right when they are easily accessed (and visible) in the top menu bar??

Overall, I feel there's an awful lot going on, both photos and text, not to mention the moving slide show, when you look at that front page, and there also quite a bit of repetition.  Maybe it doesn't help that the background colour to the central portion and the sidebars is the same - stark white - so the three sections all blend a bit together.  But equally everything I need is still there, which is the most important thing!

DinoToyForum

As requested...

Sidebar widths reduced
Sidebar header fonts reduced
Slider feature on front page removed.

I also removed the recent posts from the sidebar, as per Ceratopsian's reasoning.

ceratopsian

Thank you for all the work you are doing, Dr Admin.

Faelrin

When did this drastic change to the blog happen? What happened to the red background color too? I'm just a bit confused here. Seems a bit visually over stimulating too compared to the previous one, if I'm being honest (if I can explain that's probably because of all the tags on all of the review's pictures on the front page. It just makes me feel like there's a bit much going on). I figure this is also worth mentioning, but sudden change can freak me out because I'm autistic. So while I'm sure I'll get used to this, I'll just be a little bit uncomfortable with it for the time being.

Edit: I feel like the spacing and font could be worked out some more too? Looks a bit mobile-ish for me. Granted I'm on a 1366x768 laptop, which isn't the largest, nor is my browser completely maxed out (just about a half inch off of the screen space to the sides that it does not cover). Granted I tried 90% size in my browser and that helped with the font size, but not the spacing. I also have to wonder if the wasted space is because I have my ad blocker on, so it just seems that way. I also discovered the red is still there, but it's not going to show for me unless I leave it at 90%, which I cannot since it seems the blog and forum is connected, and the forum displays fine for me, and 90% there will just make it harder to read, unless I were to do so temporarily only. I suppose none of this should be a big deal to me much since I do not use the blog much, except when needed.

Some images to show what I'm seeing here:
Default:

At 90%:
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Lanthanotus

Back from a short vacation I found the blog changed in a major way.... well, not my cup of tea with that blocky font but I guess I can get used to, after all it's the content that interests me.

One question/note though.... where are the most recent posts hidden? I know they are shown when you visit the default site (dinotoyblog.com) but once you selected a post to read you need to get back to the default home to select one of those other new ones. Before those were listed in a rown up to down above the "popular posts". Personally I find those "popular" ones needless (well they are almost ever unchangeably the same) , but that may be just me. However, as with news pages, I'd really like to have access to the most recent posts from any post I have selected without the need to go back home before chossing the next one.

If I just missed a thing (like I could set this up on my own) please feel free to ignore this post. :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Lanthanotus on July 15, 2018, 03:21:11 PM
Back from a short vacation I found the blog changed in a major way.... well, not my cup of tea with that blocky font but I guess I can get used to, after all it's the content that interests me.

One question/note though.... where are the most recent posts hidden? I know they are shown when you visit the default site (dinotoyblog.com) but once you selected a post to read you need to get back to the default home to select one of those other new ones. Before those were listed in a rown up to down above the "popular posts". Personally I find those "popular" ones needless (well they are almost ever unchangeably the same) , but that may be just me. However, as with news pages, I'd really like to have access to the most recent posts from any post I have selected without the need to go back home before chossing the next one.

If I just missed a thing (like I could set this up on my own) please feel free to ignore this post. :)

You didn't miss anything, I removed them (see discussion above). I can easily put them back...
Edit - I put them back.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faelrin on July 15, 2018, 02:36:32 PM
When did this drastic change to the blog happen? What happened to the red background color too? I'm just a bit confused here. Seems a bit visually over stimulating too compared to the previous one, if I'm being honest (if I can explain that's probably because of all the tags on all of the review's pictures on the front page. It just makes me feel like there's a bit much going on). I figure this is also worth mentioning, but sudden change can freak me out because I'm autistic. So while I'm sure I'll get used to this, I'll just be a little bit uncomfortable with it for the time being.

Edit: I feel like the spacing and font could be worked out some more too? Looks a bit mobile-ish for me. Granted I'm on a 1366x768 laptop, which isn't the largest, nor is my browser completely maxed out (just about a half inch off of the screen space to the sides that it does not cover). Granted I tried 90% size in my browser and that helped with the font size, but not the spacing. I also have to wonder if the wasted space is because I have my ad blocker on, so it just seems that way. I also discovered the red is still there, but it's not going to show for me unless I leave it at 90%, which I cannot since it seems the blog and forum is connected, and the forum displays fine for me, and 90% there will just make it harder to read, unless I were to do so temporarily only. I suppose none of this should be a big deal to me much since I do not use the blog much, except when needed.

Some images to show what I'm seeing here:
Default:

At 90%:

It's the nature of a responsive theme, which adjusts depending on the size of the screen you are viewing on. Drag the size of your browser window and you will see it respond in real time. :)

DinoToyForum

I'm also not completely convinced by the resized sidebars, especially after realising they were specifically set to be the width of a mobile screen.  :-\ Now, in mobile view, the sidebar content is staggered.

Simon

The text seems to have been made smaller ... the new page looks a lot "calmer" to me than it did at first glance yesterday.  After getting familiar with it, I think that overall its an improvement Dr Admin ... perrty easy to follow ... I particularly like the author/company/dinosaur links running down the right side ... that serves the purpose of an easy-to-follow "Index" function that is often missing from internet sites (or is difficult to find) ...

... thanks for soliciting and listening to all the input ...  ^-^

DinoToyForum

I felt that the most recent post needed highlighting on the front page, so I've put the slider back for that one post (and removed the slider arrows).

I'll leave it as is now, and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: