News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Horizon T. rex

Started by DinoLord, October 17, 2014, 02:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Anyone here have experience with the Horizon T. rex? I'm tempted to start tracking down one, but the silly sideways arms are offputting. Would it be possible for an experienced modeller to build up the kit so that the arms rested in a more natural position?

amargasaurus cazaui

I suggest asking Martin Garrat that question...I am sure at some point he has had to cross that stream and might have some insight....might post it at him via facebook an ask, just a thought.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Simon

I've built about 6 Horizon Trexes in my time.  I've tried everything from heating and twisting the vinyl arms, to building them up (resculpting them) with putty, to replacing them altogether with different arms from another figure.

There is no perfect solution.  No, I don't have any materials anymore that could help you, you're about 4-5 years too late. I have photos of several of these TRexes on my Garage Kit gallery, feel free to take a look.  The one I called "Tarbosaurus" has arms that I re-built using putty.  Of course that was about 9 years ago, and I would do a better job of it today, but it gives you some idea what's possible.

Here's a few links:

#1 - On this one I did the heat/repositioning of the arms:  http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/index.album/tyrannosaurus-rex-120-scale?i=0&s=1

#2 - On this one I re-built the arms using Quickplastic putty:  http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/index.album/tyrannosaurus-bataar-120-scale?i=9&s=1

The angle is bad, you can't really see the arms in the last photo all that well,but it gives you some idea ...

One thing about this:  If you go whole-hog and re-sculpt the arms using putty, you will also need to bulk up a little of the shoulders with putty in order for the arms to fit seamlessly into the body ...

postsaurischian

I have an unbuilt Horizon T. rex for trade.
It's an original that I bought myself in 1992. I just don't have the original box anymore.
Let me know in case you're interested :).

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.