News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Stands

Started by Pinkamena, October 17, 2014, 09:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinkamena

Please move if this is in the wrong place!

I was wondering - stands for dinos; do you make them yourself? Buy them? I'm talking about simple stands to help pterosaurs, marine life etc that aren't posed to stand nicely by themselves.

Can I see pictures please?
Slowly running out of room...one toy at a time!

Invicta Wishlist (monochrome) - Plesiosaur, Mamenchisaurus, Dimetrodon, Muttaburrasaurus, Ichthyosaurm, Blue Whale 

CityRaptor

That was actually a opic I wanted to make myself.  Good stands for Pterosaurs, Marine Life....and Mothra!

I know about the Invicta and Favorite ones.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Manuel Bejarano made some Invicta style stands on Shapeways.com. Here it is

I have trouble with getting my SEGA vinyl Tyrannosaurus to stand by itself. It was supposed to include a stand, but mine was second hand and the original owner had lost the stand. You can see the original stand here, in Horridus' photo:

So I decided to make a replacement using Google sketchup.

I'm going to make other kinds as well. Alternatively, it is possible to make stands yourself using a popsicle stick and epoxy putty, but getting the right sized hole could be tricky. That is why I like the 3D printing option. It looks nice, and it's really easy to make adjustments.

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Pinkamena

Thank you!

I do like the Invicta-style stand, plenty of scope to swap and change models if needed.

I see so much stuff that is useful made up on 3D printers, sadly I don't have one! Love the concept of it, that they can be made exactly for anything in any pose.

Invicta Wishlist (monochrome) - Plesiosaur, Mamenchisaurus, Dimetrodon, Muttaburrasaurus, Ichthyosaurm, Blue Whale 

tyrantqueen

QuoteWho made that Hesperornis figure?
It's a 3D file that I converted for printing, by Dinoraul. Original file is here: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2203009&user_id=65979&page=2&member&np

tyrantqueen

QuoteI see so much stuff that is useful made up on 3D printers, sadly I don't have one! Love the concept of it, that they can be made exactly for anything in any pose.
Oh, I don't have one either. I use a printing service to create the prints for me. In my case, it was Shapeways.com :)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 17, 2014, 10:39:47 PM
It's a 3D file that I converted for printing, by Dinoraul. Original file is here: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2203009&user_id=65979&page=2&member&np
Thanks!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Pinkamena

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 17, 2014, 10:40:52 PM
QuoteI see so much stuff that is useful made up on 3D printers, sadly I don't have one! Love the concept of it, that they can be made exactly for anything in any pose.
Oh, I don't have one either. I use a printing service to create the prints for me. In my case, it was Shapeways.com :)

I never knew you could do that! But what I know about 3D printing you could fit on a postage stamp. A small, small postage stamp.

Invicta Hunter

I often make my own stands with some clear perspex rod and some plastic sheet.
It's the cheap way of doing it but it's quick and the vast majority turn out pretty good.

Pinkamena

Quote from: Invicta Hunter on October 18, 2014, 02:16:25 PM
I often make my own stands with some clear perspex rod and some plastic sheet.
It's the cheap way of doing it but it's quick and the vast majority turn out pretty good.

That sounds quite a cost effective way of doing it. What sort of plastic sheet do you use?

tyrantqueen

Can we see a photo of your stands? :) Weird thing to ask, but I'm curious.

Invicta Hunter

It's not weird at all, i can't really take photos of them right now as most of my collection is boxed up and stored away but over the next couple of months i'll have my display cabinets sorted out and everything placed in them. I'll be able to take some photos then for sure.

SBell

So you know you're going to have to make a thread for this...so, you purchase the file from that site, and then convert it and have it printed? Is that correct? Becauseyou may need to explain this to many of us (have you seen all of his Devonian fishes? It's madness!).

tyrantqueen

Quote from: SBell on October 18, 2014, 03:42:12 PM

So you know you're going to have to make a thread for this...so, you purchase the file from that site, and then convert it and have it printed? Is that correct? Becauseyou may need to explain this to many of us (have you seen all of his Devonian fishes? It's madness!).
Yeah, that's what it is in a nutshell. I use a couple of programmes to resize and repair them so they can printed :) Oh, I'm planning to print some of his fish soon too >:D

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 18, 2014, 05:17:58 PM

Yeah, that's what it is in a nutshell. I use a couple of programmes to resize and repair them so they can printed :) Oh, I'm planning to print some of his fish soon too >:D

Do you have an account on Shapeways? Can you open them to others? I don't really know how the system works.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: SBell on October 18, 2014, 05:20:13 PM

Do you have an account on Shapeways? Can you open them to others? I don't really know how the system works.
I do, but I can't offer them for public sale. They're property of another artist, and I would be making money off another person's work.

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 18, 2014, 05:22:09 PM
Quote from: SBell on October 18, 2014, 05:20:13 PM

I do, but I can't offer them for public sale. They're property of another artist, and I would be making money off another person's work.

Then we must learn your ways of reconfiguring to make them printable. Because apparently money and space is endless! ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

I feel the need to step in here for a moment, although this is entirely Tyrannt Queen's show. I admit I somewhat saw this forecoming when she began posting some of the models she has printed using files she got from Renderosity. When she posted the psittacosaurus she printed I took the bait myself and decided I had to have one, but then I realized that juveniles were also possible. With a ton of help from Tyrannt Queen, this has become reality...as Martin has in his hands now a set of one adult and four juveniles using this method.(if you have my dinosaur on facebook you can view the entire set, or in the psittacosaurus thread I believe I posted one of the juvies)  As I sorted through the potential printings I also noticed Archaeoceratops...another quite basal ceratopsian. Turns out she already had the file for that one, so we worked out the poses and sizes to create a family group of seven no less..ranging from 2. to 3.5 inches in size and constituting a small herd. Those models are underway to Martin now for work as well. Obviously there are some perks to doing things this way...you eliminate the middle man so to speak so the models are yours at the cost rather than paying the upcharge. I myself was delighted with how the first set, of psittacosaurus printed . I think she does a stunning job with her process and I am exceptionally grateful for her help....one hint I will give you, she cannot fix the file and get it ready to print unless you can provide her with it. We are working currently on Udanoceratops next. I am quite impressed with the work she has put into this and her process for making it happen. I never would have known about it without her help either.  Just a great lady to  work with on this and completely in her debt for the help and time spent. She deserves some props here, so yeah there it is
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: