News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Tyrannosaurus rex museum class replica official photos updated!

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, October 30, 2014, 04:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

This one is much better than the yutyrannus. I like the fact that it actually has an original pose and isn't crouched and roaring like many tyrannosaurus we see. I can also see the JP influence, but I like how it isn't 100%, and there is originality in there. I usually like my tyrannosaurs with feathers but I'm still buying this one. A grayscale figure would be a nice change, but I'm still excited to see the colors.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Alexxitator

Happy to have you back here!
Now where to buy in Europe and at what price? I still have not found an answer on where to buy the Yutyrannus in Europe either.
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Alexxitator

To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

postsaurischian

Quote from: Alexxitator on October 30, 2014, 09:58:25 PM
Now where to buy in Europe and at what price? I still have not found an answer on where to buy the Yutyrannus in Europe either.

You can buy the Yutyrannus from MPV / Germany.
http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de/Rebor-TM-Figuren/Rebor-Yutyrannus-huali::2094.html
I guess they will have the Tyrannosaurus as well.

Nebuloid

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 30, 2014, 10:08:53 PM
Quote from: Alexxitator on October 30, 2014, 09:58:25 PM

You can buy the Yutyrannus from MPV / Germany.
http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de/Rebor-TM-Figuren/Rebor-Yutyrannus-huali::2094.html
I guess they will have the Tyrannosaurus as well.

Dinosaurtime also has the Yutyrannus, technically not Europe, but close.
http://www.dinosaurtime.co.uk/Shop/Replica-Dinosaur-Models/Desktop-Models/2112-Yutyrannus.html

postsaurischian

The U.K. - technically not Europe ????
What did they teach me at school?

Nebuloid

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 31, 2014, 08:40:13 AM

Oops I thought the UK wasnt part of the EU, apparently they are... :-X

Alexxitator

Quote from: Nebuloid on October 31, 2014, 09:20:33 AM

Albeit reluctantly these days lol
Found my way to the German site today. Yutyrannus is featured there and also found some missing collecta  ;)
They are en route to Holland right now  ^-^
-Charles Darwin-

Nebuloid

Quote from: Alexxitator on October 31, 2014, 10:01:55 AM

Albeit reluctantly these days lol
Found my way to the German site today. Yutyrannus is featured there and also found some missing collecta  ;)
They are en route to Holland right now  ^-^

I plan on doing the exact same thing next week !  ;D

tyrantqueen

We are, but only just. Black sheep of Europe >:D

Dinoguy2

Didn't JP use some of their slightly inaccurate, distinctive designs in order to retain copyright on their dinosaurs? Coulda sworn I read that somewhere.... Guess it didn't work. This is clearly plagiarized from the JP rex and does not resemble any rex skull I've ever seen.

Sorry for the negativity but with all the publicity over blatant stealing in paleoart and Dino figures lately, this kind of unoriginal nonsense should not be tolerated by anybody with a conscience, or who values original work over endless samey copies.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

tyrantqueen

There is no denying the head is inspired by the JP design. The previous model was heavily influenced by the Papo Allosaurus too. But they are not bootlegs. I wish they would be more original with their sculpts, but as long as they're not stealing molds from other companies, or outright claiming that their Tyrannosaurus is an authentic JP model, they are not technically breaking any laws.

It does leave a bad taste in my mouth, I'll admit that. I don't like it any more than you do. They (Rebor) clearly have a talented sculptor so I don't see why doing their own research and coming up with something original should be hard.

I hope I haven't come across as too negative. I want to be honest about this sort of thing but I don't see any point to sugar coating stuff either :-\ I don't actually have a dog in this fight anyway, since I don't plan to buy any of Rebor's models (I'm a 1/20 collector :P)

Sim

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on November 01, 2014, 08:10:15 PM
Didn't JP use some of their slightly inaccurate, distinctive designs in order to retain copyright on their dinosaurs? Coulda sworn I read that somewhere.... Guess it didn't work. This is clearly plagiarized from the JP rex and does not resemble any rex skull I've ever seen.

Sorry for the negativity but with all the publicity over blatant stealing in paleoart and Dino figures lately, this kind of unoriginal nonsense should not be tolerated by anybody with a conscience, or who values original work over endless samey copies.
Are you sure about the bolded part?  I think prehistoric animal figures which are Jurassic Park based should really only be JP's own figures.  Although one of Papo's non-JP inspired figures, the Allosaurus, was copied by JP for their most recent Allosaurus!  I feel figures by other brands (like Papo and Schleich) which are clearly JP based are unoriginal nonsense which are uneducational and spread false information.  It's sad that Velociraptor toys are still often modelled after the JP mistake!

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 01, 2014, 08:24:12 PM
The previous model was heavily influenced by the Papo Allosaurus too.
The poses are similar, but I don't think that necessarily means the Yutyrannus was influenced by the Papo Allosaurus.  There's a limited amount of walking poses for theropods, which is more noticeable due to REBOR_STUDIO's sculpting being of a similar style to Papo's.  The Wild Safari Acrocanthosaurus is also in a similar pose to the Papo Allosaurus and REBOR Yutyrannus.  I don't think any of these were influenced by each other, although maybe some influencing happened.

amanda

The WS Acro looks nothing like any Papo figure. Poses are similar, perhaps, but the styling of the sculpt is nothing close. Rebor and Papo sculpts could be cousins. I do not ever recall Papo claiming that their toys are educational, accurate or scientifically based. You can judge them on that criteria all you want, I do not think those are their biggest concerns. And they are a level up from Schliech and Bullyland these days, two companies who have made those claims.

Jurassic Park had such a large impact in the industries. JP styled Tyrannosaurs permeate the culture. No one is necessarily sitting down to copy JP. They just are not researching the actual species to see what is what. They are taking in what is perceived and going with it which results in JP inspired. I do judge Rebor on this since they are claiming museum quality status and accuracies on their figures. And again, as in the Yutyrannus there are several glaring errors, and a style way to similar to Papo and JP to get a pass on the museum claim.

Sim

Quote from: amanda on November 02, 2014, 11:01:14 AM
The WS Acro looks nothing like any Papo figure. Poses are similar, perhaps, but the styling of the sculpt is nothing close. Rebor and Papo sculpts could be cousins. I do not ever recall Papo claiming that their toys are educational, accurate or scientifically based. You can judge them on that criteria all you want, I do not think those are their biggest concerns. And they are a level up from Schliech and Bullyland these days, two companies who have made those claims.

Jurassic Park had such a large impact in the industries. JP styled Tyrannosaurs permeate the culture. No one is necessarily sitting down to copy JP. They just are not researching the actual species to see what is what. They are taking in what is perceived and going with it which results in JP inspired. I do judge Rebor on this since they are claiming museum quality status and accuracies on their figures. And again, as in the Yutyrannus there are several glaring errors, and a style way to similar to Papo and JP to get a pass on the museum claim.
I mentioned the WS Acro being in a similar pose to the Papo Allo and Rebor Yuty as I thought the reason (most) people said the Yutyrannus was influenced by the Papo Allo was its pose.

I think it's most likely some figures are based directly on existing designs for that animal (e.g. Papo's Velociraptor, rearing Tyrannosaurus, Spinosaurus all based on JP's).

"I do not ever recall Papo claiming that their toys are educational, accurate or scientifically based. You can judge them on that criteria all you want, I do not think those are their biggest concerns."  It's tiring to receive this kind of aggressive response.  I'm also not sure why you said this?  What I said is my opinion, as well as facts (figures that reproduce JP's mistakes due to being heavily based on them are uneducational and contribute to misinforming people about what the animals were like).

amanda

There is nothing aggressive in my reply. My statement was made because you are assuming the purpose of the toy is to educate and inform. Some companies agree, and some do not care. Papo do not care. Hoping that they will, or that somehow their output will change is futile. No amount of research or care or education will replace the JP image of dinosaurs in the current public's perception. The release of the upcoming new movie will not change that.

Alexxitator

All boiled down I think there are two things going wrong here:
1: Rebor claiming scientific accuracy.
2:Forum members losing sight of the fact we are still discussing toys here.

Somewhere halfway I am sure piece can be found... O:-)

I have and like my Rex family, comprised of Papo, Schleich and in a few days Rebor's Yutyrannus. (prolly followed by their Rex in a few weeks)
They are a surly bunch of very nice models. And that is just what they are. Toy models.
Looking down on a slashed open Trice like on their last evening supper.

I look at this bunch as a lovely gimmick, not much more. A fun bunch.

The rest of my collection, wich also has some Rexes, I try and keep as scientifically correct as is doable.
-Charles Darwin-

amanda

And, since Rebor is claiming accuracy, and is pricing their models S models and not toys, I feel it is ok to critique them on those criteria, in which case they still are off.

Sim

Quote from: amanda on November 02, 2014, 01:42:14 PM
There is nothing aggressive in my reply. My statement was made because you are assuming the purpose of the toy is to educate and inform. Some companies agree, and some do not care. Papo do not care. Hoping that they will, or that somehow their output will change is futile. No amount of research or care or education will replace the JP image of dinosaurs in the current public's perception. The release of the upcoming new movie will not change that.
You've misunderstood me.  It might not have been your intention, but please don't put words into my mouth.  I wasn't thinking the parts I've bolded in your post.  What I mean is what I said:
Quote from: Sim on November 02, 2014, 10:22:12 AM
I think prehistoric animal figures which are Jurassic Park based should really only be JP's own figures.  Although one of Papo's non-JP inspired figures, the Allosaurus, was copied by JP for their most recent Allosaurus!  I feel figures by other brands (like Papo and Schleich) which are clearly JP based are unoriginal nonsense which are uneducational and spread false information.  It's sad that Velociraptor toys are still often modelled after the JP mistake!
It's sad that a lot of people think the JP Velociraptor is what the animal looked like, especially since JP came out over 20 years ago!  Perhaps more people would have a better idea of what Velociraptor looked like if other toy brands stopped basing theirs on JP's version.  Jurassic Park has done a lot of good, but bad as well, with regards to the public's knowledge of dinosaurs.  It's unavoidable that there will be inaccurate prehistoric animal toys given the nature of palaeontology, and it wouldn't make sense to have a problem with this.  I disapprove of non JP toys being based on JP's mistakes (like the Velociraptors, Dilophosaurus, Spinosaurus' face) because their inaccuracies are only the product of insufficient research and mostly using someone else's work (JP's in this case).  I don't feel strongly about this though, besides Velociraptor as it's just not what the animal looked like, and even when the JP film producers knew this they decided to call it Velociraptor mongoliensis (it was Velociraptor antirrhopus (Deinonychus) in the Jurassic Park novel the film was based on).  I feel this might be going off topic now though.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: