News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Tyrannosaurus rex museum class replica official photos updated!

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, October 30, 2014, 04:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluffysaurus

At least he doesnt look backwards ;D, then it would be a king Zombierex haha *drums roffling* Badam tsss :P hahaha just kidding. i cant wait for the new Triceratops base for King Trex. Anyone knows a little more About that??
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

Simon

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 30, 2015, 05:19:09 PM
For the love of god please let this be the last time but forward facing eyes =/= binocular vision! Its eyes are both looking forwards sure, but the snout is so wide that with or without the angry eyebrows the lines of sight would not meet meaning it can not have binocular vision. Imagine if your nose was a foot long and the entire width of your head, you wouldn't have binocular vision either. It's not about forward facing eyes.

That much is true (look at the Allosaurus restoration above, for example).

However, while forward-facing eyes do not guarantee binocular vision, it is also true that you cannot have binocular vision without forward-facing eyes.

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 30, 2015, 04:31:58 PM
Yes. If you say the model is of a certain animal it should have the key features that make that animal different from similar animals. A model of a lion that has a mane and tan color but also stripes is no longer a tiger. A model of a T. rex with a wide square snout and eye horns is no longer a T. rex.

The fact that the public tecognizes this animal as a T. rex doesn't make it one, it just makes this a piece of pop culture art rather than paleoart, which, again, is fine, but people seem to be trying to tell others this is actually accurate (see binocular vision stuff above) which it is obviously not.

What you're saying is right, of course, but I didn't make my point clearly and for that I apologize. My point (which I think has since been borne out) was that we've reached the point at which the two sides of the debate are just arguing past one another. How else to explain the runaround over binocular vision, other than to say that one side is defining "accurate" as "good" and the other side is defining it as "good enough"?

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 30, 2015, 05:19:09 PM
For the love of god please let this be the last time but forward facing eyes =/= binocular vision! Its eyes are both looking forwards sure, but the snout is so wide that with or without the angry eyebrows the lines of sight would not meet meaning it can not have binocular vision. Imagine if your nose was a foot long and the entire width of your head, you wouldn't have binocular vision either. It's not about forward facing eyes.

If I'm not mistaken, Isn't  binocular vision a function of extraocular muscles as opposed to skull dimensions?

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 02, 2015, 12:31:06 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Isn't  binocular vision a function of extraocular muscles as opposed to skull dimensions?

Binocular vision is only a function of the region of overlap between the eyes' visual fields. The eye's range of movement may increase that region, but the position of the orbitals in the skull is what ultimately constrains the geometry of each eye's field of vision. To reiterate everything that DinoGuy and Simon have said: the Rebor T. rex can't have binocular vision because the too-wide snout blocks the region where both eyes' visual fields would overlap. In all of the pictures you've posted, the rex would have almost half of each eye's field of vision taken up by the side of its snout.

omgmarclol

Fluffysaurus

Quote from: omgmarclol on September 02, 2015, 05:23:18 PM
i don't understand why people can't get the concept.

Maybe this is the silliest thing i will ever ask, but so be it. A little off topic but not fully. How do they know what the eye position was? I dont have a clue :). Is it wild guessing? Is it by traces in the eye sockets? How?
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.

Monkeysaurus

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on September 01, 2015, 05:23:14 PMone side is defining "accurate" as "good" and the other side is defining it as "good enough"
This sums it up perfectly I think. The guys are right about the Rebor T-Rex lacking proper binocular vision (just looked at mine) and having incorrect head proportions in relation to the real animal. This isn't a matter of opinion, these are facts. With that in mind, taking into account all of the above facts, I still feel this model pretty much nailed it or in other words is "good enough" for me.  :)
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean

Monkeysaurus

This is probably the most intimidating looking T-Rex I've ever seen. Those eyes...

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Dinofiel on September 02, 2015, 10:43:18 PM

Maybe this is the silliest thing i will ever ask, but so be it. A little off topic but not fully. How do they know what the eye position was? I dont have a clue :). Is it wild guessing? Is it by traces in the eye sockets? How?

They have the entire eye socket. The eye socket is the hole in the skull where the eye goes. You can see if it's pointing forwards, as in humans and dogs and T. rex, or if it's pointing to the sides, like horses and allosaurus and triceratops.

I think what many people don't get is that no amount of looking around can give you binocular vision.mbinocular vision comes from which direction the eye socket points, it has nothing to do with the eyeball. You can't change your degree of binocular vision without breaking and rearranging your skull bones.

Some people here seem to think that animals with side facing eye sockets can get binocular vision basically by going cross eyed which is a... Weird concept. Unless you are a chameleon or cross eyes, if one pupil is in the corner of your eye by the nose the other one should be looking backward on the other side. The Rebor T. rex is cross eyed, not binocular.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Rain

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on September 03, 2015, 12:50:04 AM

They have the entire eye socket. The eye socket is the hole in the skull where the eye goes. You can see if it's pointing forwards, as in humans and dogs and T. rex, or if it's pointing to the sides, like horses and allosaurus and triceratops.

I think what many people don't get is that no amount of looking around can give you binocular vision.mbinocular vision comes from which direction the eye socket points, it has nothing to do with the eyeball. You can't change your degree of binocular vision without breaking and rearranging your skull bones.

Some people here seem to think that animals with side facing eye sockets can get binocular vision basically by going cross eyed which is a... Weird concept. Unless you are a chameleon or cross eyes, if one pupil is in the corner of your eye by the nose the other one should be looking backward on the other side. The Rebor T. rex is cross eyed, not binocular.

Haha, although I love this model, that statement is both comedic and true

tanystropheus

I appreciate all the constructive feedback. I certainly learn a lot from the forums. I actually think I gain more knowledge from the process of scrutinizing inaccurate or "relatively" accurate models...I thank everyone here for correcting any mistakes that I have made in judgement.

This entire conversation had me thinking... does that mean brachycephalic dogs (e.g. pugs, bulldogs, etc.) have better vision than dogs with longer snouts?

Halichoeres

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 03, 2015, 05:16:48 AM
I appreciate all the constructive feedback. I certainly learn a lot from the forums. I actually think I gain more knowledge from the process of scrutinizing inaccurate or "relatively" accurate models...I thank everyone here for correcting any mistakes that I have made in judgement.

This entire conversation had me thinking... does that mean brachycephalic dogs (e.g. pugs, bulldogs, etc.) have better vision than dogs with longer snouts?

I think they do have a greater binocular field, in fact. Although they can also choke on their own spit. You win some, you lose some.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fluffysaurus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on September 03, 2015, 12:50:04 AM

Oooooh okay i didnt know that. Altough i love to joke around, i sometimes have true questions. Thankyou for explaining that. I still love King Trex. Altough its eyes may be cross eyed. Despite its eyes do you like the model too? Ohhhh i cant help it. Hail King cross eyed Trex ;D :P. Sometimes i wonder must be really weird to have eyes to the side how in the world can they even walk! Hmmm Lets Find out. Vision is a strange thing. But i am happy you explained. I just keep learning things here.
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 03, 2015, 05:41:49 AM

I think they do have a greater binocular field, in fact. Although they can also choke on their own spit. You win some, you lose some.
Brachy breeds have a slightly better binocular field (about 10 degrees more) than a sighthound. However to suggest that a brachycephalic breed has better vision than a long snouted dog (such as a sighthound) is quite laughable. The slight binocular advantage that brachy breeds possess is due to the fact they've been selectively bred to have a face as flat as a human baby's (some people find this "cute"), not because it gives them any advantage in hunting.

Such advantages are pretty useless for a brachy breed anyway, since they would not be able to catch a gazelle in a desert like a saluki can, and they would probably pass out from the heat in five seconds due to their messed up genetics stopping them from cooling themselves properly.

The wolfish ancestor of dogs had a long snout. A lot of dogs which possess a strong prey drive (collies, hounds) all have long snouts. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Monkeysaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2015, 12:47:54 PM
However to suggest that a brachycephalic breed has better vision than a long snouted dog (such as a sighthound) is quite laughable.

This is quite rude.

tanystropheus

Brachy breeds have a slightly better binocular field (about 10 degrees more) than a sighthound. However to suggest that a brachycephalic breed has better vision than a long snouted dog (such as a sighthound) is quite laughable. The slight binocular advantage that brachy breeds possess is due to the fact they've been selectively bred to have a face as flat as a human baby's (some people find this "cute"), not because it gives them any advantage in hunting.

Such advantages are pretty useless for a brachy breed anyway, since they would not be able to catch a gazelle in a desert like a saluki can, and they would probably pass out from the heat in five seconds due to their messed up genetics stopping them from cooling themselves properly.

The wolfish ancestor of dogs had a long snout. A lot of dogs which possess a strong prey drive (collies, hounds) all have long snouts. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Brachycephalic dogs are super popular in North America, but I've always found the wolfish or fox-like breeds to be far more cute, personally.  Some folks tell me that they find bull-dogs appealing due to their semblance to 'grumpy old men'. Also, pugs are prone to proptosis  :o

tyrantqueen

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 04, 2015, 01:56:29 AM

Brachycephalic dogs are super popular in North America, but I've always found the wolfish or fox-like breeds to be far more cute, personally.  Some folks tell me that they find bull-dogs appealing due to their semblance to 'grumpy old men'. Also, pugs are prone to proptosis  :o
Yeah I think long snouted dogs are cuter too. I've never understood the infatuation with flat nosed breeds. They look rather ugly to me.

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Tyrannosauron

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: