News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

A's dinosaur sculptures

Started by A.Garcia, November 03, 2014, 05:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Garcia

Thank you Pinkamena!

Thanks paleoferroequine! I appreciate it. I'm afraid you have some good customs/sculpting that I've neglected to look at properly. :-[ I will make a point of finding your work. ;)

paleoferroequine

Quote from: A.Garcia on November 07, 2014, 07:17:28 PM
Thank you Pinkamena!

Thanks paleoferroequine! I appreciate it. I'm afraid you have some good customs/sculpting that I've neglected to look at properly. :-[ I will make a point of finding your work. ;)

You will have to look at the old forum also.

http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/board/5/customized-figures

http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/user/234/recent_threads

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

A.Garcia

Thank you Dinomike and sauroid.

Here's my Lambeosaurus lambei. It is just over 7 inches long, representing an animal about 25 feet long at around 1:40. This was my first dinosaur sculpture at this size, and possibly as a result I am the least satisfied with it (though I'm still happy with it). I used this study as a guide for forelimb posture; I don't think this form is represented in many models or toys. I put visible claws or hooves on the two inner digits of each hand. The pose, with a raised forelimb and tilted-back head, is not intended as a walking/running pose (as I attempted in some of the photos with the Gorgosaurus) but as a possible feeding or calling pose.

Soft tissue for display partly obscures the bony shape of the head crest, both in front and as a frill connected to the back. The color takes partial inspiration from some waterfowl and iguanas who can be quite colorful. The main problems I have with the sculpture are bits of the texturing (the face, and I believe there is evidence against scute-like scales on the hind feet), and the beak (I think its shape should be different, as seen in some of the images here and in some reconstructions).

Again I'd appreciate any ideas or advice that could be used in future models (or even species ideas). ;)

A.Garcia

These two are just closer up with slight changes. I was trying to figure out what I like, or not, about the figure:

A.Garcia

Since I haven't put up a topic for my outdoor pictures yet, here are two more from when I was doing the diorama picture- in the second one I think the Gorgosaurus is just picking up the scent of the Lambeosaurus. :))

Thanks for looking! :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Arul

Paleogene Pals

Another beautiful piece. Make castings and start your own company. These are good.

darth daniel

These are beautiful! :) Both figures have a cool paint scheme and lots of character.

Patrx

These are both spectacular! Great details and accuracy. I particularly like the Gorgosaurus for its wings. Do you have any plans to offer castings for sale in the future?

A.Garcia

Thank you Blade-of-the-Moon, ARUL, Paleogene Pals, darth daniel, and Patrx. :)

Patrx: I'd have to learn how, find materials, and get the right kind of work space, but I'd like to some day. I think I also like wings on a feathered interpretation- if the arms were going to have any display function, longer feathers would expand the visual surface.

Paleogene Pals: Those are encouraging words, thanks.

ARUL: I was slow with these but I'll try my best! I have an idea in mind for an Iguanodon, so that may be next. There's also a sauropod I'd like to try. ;)

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

triceratops83

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

croatasaurus

Zhuchengotyrant

Two questions:
QA: What scale are these?
QB:How long did it take you for each of them?

PS: AAAAWWWEEEEESSSOOOMMMEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Zhuchengotyrant

Alexxitator

To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

A.Garcia

Thanks for the comments.

Excuse the late responses...

Croatasaurus: These were done with polymer clay over some armature wires/materials. The Gorgosaurus didn't have any filler because I was trying to balance it on its feet using the sculpt/pose rather than different materials (though an "air-filled" front end may be a closer match to a theropod's living anatomy). I probably used a toothpick more than any other tool for the smaller parts and detailing. I'm not sure if this is a good answer... :-\ :))

Zhuchengotyrant: A: These are 1:40. I think there is a bit more size info in my comments about each model.
B: I don't think I have a good answer. :)) I'm sure some of the sculpting went faster than I remember, though I was learning and experimenting as I went with these. The Gorgosaurus took the longest for a variety of reasons. I hope to be more productive with these, and if I do more I'm sure I'll get faster.

A.Garcia

Finally, here are pictures of my Tuojiangosaurus multispinus, a stegosaur from the late Jurassic, found in China. It is around 1:40 (maybe a little larger). I tried to give it a contented appearance. There is drying mud painted on the legs and feet. As a skeletal reference for relative proportions I found Scott Hartman's drawing valuable, while the posture and photo angles of skeletal mounts made these trickier to use as a guide for this animal. I referred to this study for the forefeet. It may have had shoulder spines. I think it is interesting to see the similarities to, and differences from, its most famous relative (including its head and body shape).

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.