News:

Dinosaur Toy Forum Diorama Contest 2024. Deadline for submissions is October 29th 2024. Contest details here.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

spinosaurus1 artwork

Started by spinosaurus1, November 04, 2014, 03:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mamasaurus

So many beautiful animals!  I really love how natural they all look, with healthy musculature and lovely squishy bits all real animals have.  I liked the spiky osteoderms on the brontosaurus and other sauropod you posted a few pages back, and the anatomical sketches of the raptors are also particularly interesting. 

As someone who's plucked her own chicken for dinner, their featherless anatomy is spot on. :D  Nice touch on the anchor points for the larger feathers on the wings and tail.

Oh yes, and the mosasaur is simply beautiful.  Quite impressive for the first time drawing and painting digitally.  I just started trying that myself, and I find I just can't draw as well digitally as I can with a pencil.  Do you have a tablet or cintique? 

I have a tablet, and I think the mental jump between screen and what the hand is doing can be a bit challenging for some.  I've heard the cintique makes it much easier to transition from traditional to digital. :)  Of course, your drawing skills far surpass mine, and they have transitioned to purely digital beautifully.  I find it inspiring.  :)

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

spinosaurus1

thanks for the kind remarks everyone :)

mamasaurus

getting use to digital art was a huge challenge for me as well. i'm using a tablet as of now. it's a weird feeling having to look away from the area your drawing on. but i like the outcome on the mosasaur, although i still have much to learn

Tyto_Theropod

I did get a tablet once, and I have to say the results weren't good. I have enough co-ordination for digital colouring but if I actually try and draw something it always ends up being a bunch of messy lines! Also, as you say, it's very disconcerting when the result of your hand movements appears on the screen and not on the surface you're drawing on! So I'm sticking to pencils, at least for now. Having said which, I can't say that my skill level comes to much. You guys are both way better.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

spinosaurus1

dilophosaurus wip

nodasaur ( based on the new mummy) wip

Halichoeres

This is one of my favorite threads.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Mamasaurus

Ooh, looking forward to seeing the progress on that nodasaur!  The fossil is just spectacular.  ;D  I've always been a big fan of dilophosaurus too.  I love the movement in the piece so far. :)

WarrenJB

I like the muscle on the Dilophosaur. Reminds me of the first time I saw some of Bob Bakker's illustrations.

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 16, 2017, 10:16:20 PM
This is one of my favorite threads.

Ditto!

spinosaurus1

wow, thanks everyone. means a great deal that you guys like my work :)

also, why do nodosaurs have to be a pain in the butt to draw?

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on May 18, 2017, 04:14:06 PM
also, why do nodosaurs have to be a pain in the butt to draw?

I thought the dermal armor was supposed to protect against that.

Anyways, nice work!
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

AcroSauroTaurus

How did you get so good? Teach me your ways!
It looks great. Ironically I'm working on a drawing of the Suncor Nodosaur as well, however the graphite in my mechanical pencil ran out the day before yesterday, and I have to wait till the weekend to finish it... ::) (I've been at my grandparents for the week, and forgot to pack extra graphite...)
I am the Dinosaur King!

spinosaurus1

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on May 19, 2017, 06:16:24 AM
How did you get so good? Teach me your ways!
It looks great. Ironically I'm working on a drawing of the Suncor Nodosaur as well, however the graphite in my mechanical pencil ran out the day before yesterday, and I have to wait till the weekend to finish it... ::) (I've been at my grandparents for the week, and forgot to pack extra graphite...)

thats awesome. saw the drawing the other day and it's very well done :)

feel free to pm me at any time. i will gladly show you how i draw in perspective

some dragon doodles i made while i was traveling up in Tennessee yesterday.

spinosaurus1

some tyrannosaurs sketches
based this sketch on this skeletal mount
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/300468126372462592/318417801394126849/trex-top.png

and a tyrannosaurus based on Duane Nash interpretation

Pachyrhinosaurus

Interesting how you did the second one, it looks like what they were suggesting in Valley of the T. rex. Even if a lot of the show was inaccurate I still like the gnarly, turkey vulture-like head like that on a rex.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

WarrenJB

Nice. :)

Duane, eh. I think he has some good ideas, but his self-image as some kind of rebellious iconoclast seems to push them (and his attitude) a bit far sometimes. Turkey wattles and skin are fine, but the extreme loose jowls (on rexes and sabre-tooths) remind me of basset hounds more than anything else.

Mamasaurus

Nice take on Duane's gnarly Rex.  :D  I like this a lot better than Mr. Nash's illustration anyway.  Though I like the idea of experimenting with different integument, and carunkled skin and wattles are certainly a viable option, I'm not a big fan of how monstrous Mr. Nash makes his dinosaurs.  Every predator, and even some herbivores, have "monstrous" moments of course, but most animals do not look like they just walked out of a horror film.  I would argue that even vultures have a certain nobility to their appearance.  There are very few animals that have a nightmarish appearance.

spinosaurus1

thanks everyone :)

personally, i'm not a fan of nashes tyrannosaurus interpretation either, but admittedly, i thought it was an interesting beast that i was curious in drawing out. still an ungly son of a gun though XD

sketch based on the Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History mount

concept sketch of monolophosaurus attacking a young mamenchisaurus.

Mamasaurus

Neat!  You don't see a predator attacking a much younger (and therefore smaller) sauropod everyday.  It seems that all sauropods magically transform from hatchling to full colossal size in paleoart.  I particularly like how the poor mamenchisaurus is rolled on his back.  I feel kinda sorry for him, but I think at least the basis of the quote in Finding Nemo applies here, "fish gotta swim, birds gotta eat."

You have a beautiful sense of movement in both drawings. :)

Kaprosaurus

Man! I thought my dragons are good but they look garbage compared to your dragons! XD
(Excuse me i dont know how to use the quote command :P)

WarrenJB

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on June 22, 2017, 03:01:49 AM
personally, i'm not a fan of nashes tyrannosaurus interpretation either, but admittedly, i thought it was an interesting beast that i was curious in drawing out.

Oh, no probs. No need to justify it. I've thought about it myself. :)

Great sketches. You have a good knack for rendering 3D forms and perspective, IMO.

spinosaurus1

tarbosaurus and saurolophus WIP

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: