News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, December 18, 2014, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kreativtek

Now that you mention it, the dinosaur indeed doesn't look like a T-rex. Its head is too long and narrow, and it has three fingers on each hand. Could it be a Giganotosaurus?

Roselaar

Quote from: kreativtek on December 23, 2014, 04:43:59 PM
Thank you, triceratops83! There are other new dinosaurs, though. At 20:09 you can see a new set of Mini Tub's Dinosaurs, which includes an Allosaurus, an Ankylosaurus, a Dimetrodon, a standing Tyrannosaurus, a Carnotaurus, and a Pteranadon (hopefully without the teeth).

Well spotted! Good to know Papo keeps trying with minifigures. These new minis definitely look like a step up from last year's batch. The Dimetrodon looks especiallycute. They may not be as good as their larger counterparts and most of them copy the pose of those a little too closely, but I like them well enough. That Theropod definitely isn't a T-Rex though. In fact, it doesn't look like any of the current Paposaurs. My guess is it's a new species for Papo. And why not? :)

tanystropheus

Quote from: kreativtek on December 23, 2014, 09:25:51 PM
Now that you mention it, the dinosaur indeed doesn't look like a T-rex. Its head is too long and narrow, and it has three fingers on each hand. Could it be a Giganotosaurus?

Perhaps, an indication of what is forthcoming for their non-mini line  ;)

SpartanSquat

I was thinking the same. Probably its a future giganotosaurus figure to be release.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on December 23, 2014, 06:04:40 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 23, 2014, 06:00:17 PM
I'm not sure we can gauge the size of the Apato based on the pic in the catalog, the Plesiosaurus looks huge next  both.  Shame they don't list sizes like Safari does.

I'm again disappointed in their dragons. I had really hoped for a nice Smaug clone.

The Alligator Snapper looks cool..can't tell if it has the right length tail though.

at least the Book just Said Apatosaurus and not Juvenile Apatosaurus

It did. It was ED that it was young..maybe that was a mistake on the info Papo sent them.  If it's torso is as big as the Brachiosaurus's I'll be fine with the size..that's plenty big enough.

stargatedalek

Quote from: kreativtek on December 23, 2014, 09:25:51 PM

my guess is its a d. rex random carnivore that is in no way affiliated with Universal

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Takama on December 23, 2014, 06:04:40 PM
at least the Book just Said Apatosaurus and not Juvenile Apatosaurus

IIRC the pachycephalosaurus was labeled "Baby Pachycephalosaurus" in the catalogue, I'm not sure if it still is or not. If it is to represent a juvenile animal, there is no certainty of an adult, unfortunately. What if the mini was this rumored giganotosaurus I've heard about on the forums? It could be that it was delayed due to Jurassic World and its resemblance or planned resemblance to D. rex?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Papo concerned with likeness? I wouldn't think so.. lol

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 24, 2014, 02:09:29 AM
Papo concerned with likeness? I wouldn't think so.. lol

I was thinking more about Papo waiting to copy it.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

If they already had a Giganotosaurus in development I doubt they would hold off on it due to the release of "Jurassic World". Beside, they seem to have strayed away from JP copies as indicated by their Dilophosaurus.

triceratops83

It's reminiscent of that green Giganotosaurus sculpture in Dorling Kindersly books, just with the tail down.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

kreativtek

Here's a better look at it.

Rathalosaurus

It seems like a Giganotosaurus.
Hopefully we get a bigger version of this fella next in 2016.
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

CityRaptor

Alright, that looks like Giganotosaurus. Or maybe another Carcharodontosaurid.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

kreativtek

Since Papo usually simply scales down the sculpts of larger animals for the Mini series, it is safe to assume that this model will be very similar to the brown T-rex. I wish it had a dynamic pose like the running T-rex or Allosaurus.
On the other hand, though, there are two or three Minis that look very different from their bigger counterparts. So who knows what Papo is cooking up for 2016? Chances are the Giganotosaurus (or whatever this is) will be sculpted after the D-rex from Jurassic World.

As for other the Apatosaurus, I couldn't find out how big it is. Dimensions are not in the catalog (available on Papo's website), so we will have to wait for Everything Dinosaur crew to publish the hands-on after the New Year.

SpartanSquat

Where did you find the pic of Giganotosaurus? Probably the next year they will release it for Jurassic World.

kreativtek

Quote from: RolandEden on December 26, 2014, 12:14:25 PM
Where did you find the pic of Giganotosaurus? Probably the next year they will release it for Jurassic World.

It's from Papo's new catalog for 2015. Here.

alexeratops

I love the Apatosaurus, its neck is nice and baggy. It almost reminds me of this:
like a bantha!

SpartanSquat

I forgot to ask, when the mini dinosaurs will be release?

postsaurischian

Quote from: alexeratops on December 26, 2014, 03:25:37 PM
I love the Apatosaurus, its neck is nice and baggy. It almost reminds me of this:

:o Ouch! Please don't do this to my eyes.
This is quite an ugly illustration and it reminds me of this ;D:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: