News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How are dinosaur toys made?

Started by jurassicexplorer91, December 21, 2014, 01:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurassicexplorer91

croatasaurus

SpittersForEver

Quote from: croatasaurus on December 21, 2014, 04:32:13 PM
Quote from: jurassicexplorer91 on December 21, 2014, 01:27:17 PM
I want to know how they are made.
Of plastic

I believe he was asking how they are made not what they are made of.

DinoLord

I think Dan LoRusso (one of the sculptors for the original Battat MOS series and the sculptor of the new Battat Terra series) can chime in here if he sees this thread. From what I gather the process involves the artist making the original sculpt, which then gets cast into some resin masters, and then ultimately the casts from those are used to mass-produce the figures in whatever plastic the company uses (different companies may use different materials it seems).

Dinomike

I would like to know as well! I watched a documentary on how Legos are made and was duly impressed.  It would be cool to take a look inside, say, Safari's factory and see the sculptors etc. Maybe there is such YouTube clip in existence.  Haven't checked.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

tyrantqueen

It's not that different from how resin kits are cast, just different materials and specifications for the final product.

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: Dinomike on December 21, 2014, 06:51:08 PM
I would like to know as well! I watched a documentary on how Legos are made and was duly impressed.  It would be cool to take a look inside, say, Safari's factory and see the sculptors etc. Maybe there is such YouTube clip in existence.  Haven't checked.
I would love to see Safari's factory. My dad may take me next week as I am in Miami Lakes, a mere 15 minutes from Miami Gardens.
-Zhuchengotyrant

SBell

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on December 21, 2014, 07:42:40 PM
I would love to see Safari's factory. My dad may take me next week as I am in Miami Lakes, a mere 15 minutes from Miami Gardens.

That's head office. The figures themselves are cast and molded in China.

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: SBell on December 21, 2014, 07:45:33 PM

Oh.  ::) not as cool, but still a nice experience. Maybe they have the 2015 figures?
-Zhuchengotyrant

DinoLord

It's probably just a bunch of corporate offices. If you really want to go it'd probably be a good idea to call ahead.

Dinomike

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on December 21, 2014, 08:03:51 PM

Oh.  ::) not as cool, but still a nice experience. Maybe they have the 2015 figures?

Let us know how your visit went!  And whether it was just a corporate office.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: Dinomike on January 06, 2015, 08:30:57 AM
Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on December 21, 2014, 08:03:51 PM

Let us know how your visit went!  And whether it was just a corporate office.
My dad will take me next Friday. Sorry for the delay
-Zhuchengotyrant

docronnie

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.