You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nature Photography (Formally Spring is in the Air)

Started by Gwangi, March 13, 2012, 02:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ZoPteryx

Nice invertebrate finds everyone!

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 26, 2017, 08:32:03 AM
Nothing I found in spring neither in my usual environment, but I thought it somewhat fitting here.... cannot say what species (though it's very recognizable probably, but I have no field guide for Aussie insects), but a hard nut to swallow for potential enemies I bet. The first beetle I ever saw with spikes, nothing alike living in my area...

Are we sure that thing isn't an alien?!  :o

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 26, 2017, 08:32:03 AM
The first beetle I ever saw with spikes, nothing alike living in my area...

That beetle looks so badass!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on April 26, 2017, 12:07:33 PM
A Carolina Devil Scorpion and a Six-spotted Tiger Beetle. Sorry for the terrible lighting.

When I saw the title I thought it was going to be a proverb (just joking).
We have the same species of Tiger Beetle up here in Ontario. I love watching them hunt bugs on the ground.
Luckily we don't have scorpions, I love this warning from NCSU "The easiest step to take is to vigorously shake clothing before wearing. Shaking is particularly useful with shoes stored in a closet. Scorpions tend to be more active at night so beds should not touch the room walls. In houses where scorpions have been seen before, individuals should not walk barefooted at night." Should end with "welcome to North Carolina!" ;)

Sinornis

Inspired by the beautiful wildflower and wildlife photos, I decided to post a few images from our mid-April trip to Smoky Mountain National Park in Tennessee. The photos feature, Showy Orchid, Mayapple, view from 6,600 foot Clingman's Dome, Pileated Woodpecker and a Fence Lizard.

http://avianmusing.blogspot.com/

Lanthanotus

That's one nice woodpecker species.. and I envy you having those Sceloporus around :)

Sinornis

Quote from: Lanthanotus on May 03, 2017, 09:08:14 PM
That's one nice woodpecker species.. and I envy you having those Sceloporus around :)

Yes, its always nice to see such a large woodpecker species, since the Ivory-billed is now gone. The Fence Lizard was also a special treat, and even more surprised that the species ranges into New Jersey, not to far from my home. Thanks for your comments!  ^-^

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sinornis on May 03, 2017, 09:03:44 PM
Inspired by the beautiful wildflower and wildlife photos, I decided to post a few images from our mid-April trip to Smoky Mountain National Park in Tennessee. The photos feature, Showy Orchid, Mayapple, view from 6,600 foot Clingman's Dome, Pileated Woodpecker and a Fence Lizard.

Great shots. I am especially envious of the Pileated Woodpecker. They are common here but I have been trying for over 50 years to get a clear photo of one. Every time I spot one I swear they know I am trying to get a photo and continually dodge behind the tree or move to the next tree. All I ever get are blurry shots. Plus I can't remember seeing one that close to the ground, up here they are usually way up in the trees. I have the similar problem with our Ravens which are also very common but seem to delight in foiling my attempts to get photos. I had an easy time taking shots of the smaller desert Ravens in Nevada. Ours are huge but won't sit still. I am starting to think I need to set up a blind.

Sinornis

Quote from: Doug Watson on May 04, 2017, 03:38:47 PM
Quote from: Sinornis on May 03, 2017, 09:03:44 PM

Great shots. I am especially envious of the Pileated Woodpecker. They are common here but I have been trying for over 50 years to get a clear photo of one. Every time I spot one I swear they know I am trying to get a photo and continually dodge behind the tree or move to the next tree. All I ever get are blurry shots. Plus I can't remember seeing one that close to the ground, up here they are usually way up in the trees. I have the similar problem with our Ravens which are also very common but seem to delight in foiling my attempts to get photos. I had an easy time taking shots of the smaller desert Ravens in Nevada. Ours are huge but won't sit still. I am starting to think I need to set up a blind.

The Pileated Woodpecker is notorious for being two steps ahead of anyone trying to get a decent picture of it! I feel your pain! I have them in my yard and never have I even come close to a respectable shot. Most fly just far enough for me to give up the chase. The Pileated I posted was by far the best photo I've ever taken. As far as the Common Raven, I have better luck photographing them in a city environment, but I don't really care for my birds posing on dumpsters or buildings (which they do a lot around here), I'd rather have them in a dead tree surrounded by spruce or any other natural habitat, that's where the "trickster" belongs! 

Ally Ro

I've just come back from Spain! Met many these guys there, they are everywhere  ^-^!! don't know their name for sure:

And here is my morning view from our apartment in Majorka  8)

https://tranio.com/spain/balearic_islands/majorca/

Make lemonade!

Kaprosaurus

This is beautiful....WHY DON'T WE HAVE THIS IN PHILIPPINES?!?!

Newt

Doug Watson

Quote from: Newt on June 26, 2017, 09:48:33 PM
Just for Doug:

and thank you! Cottonmouth correct? Is that on your home turf?

Newt

Yes and yes! This little guy was in a floodplain swamp in Ashland City, Tennessee, right at the edge of the species' range (they've never been collected in Nashville, a few miles further up the Cumberland River). Cottonmouths are almost restricted to the Coastal Plain, but there are a few places, like here, where they cross the Fall Line into the uplands. These upland populations seem to be restricted by the availability of suitable places to hibernate (here, they use crevices and mini-caves in limestone bluffs) than by swampland. There are some cottonmouth populations in Middle Tennessee that live in very atypical habitats: clear, rocky streams such as the Buffalo River and Turnbull Creek.

Doug Watson

Saw this pretty little thing on one of our last kayaking trips to Murphy's Point. I wonder if they evolved the similar look to confuse predators into thinking they were the venomous Cottonmouth and save them from getting eaten. The colours, the patterns and even the keeled scales. Problem is what may have saved them from wild predators doomed them when he comes to humans. Even up in my area where we don't have dangerously venomous snakes people kill them out of ignorant fear and I have seen way too many Youtube videos with idiots calling other harmless water snakes moccasins.

Neosodon

I don't believe in killing off dangerous animals unless they pose an immediate threat. But if you are going to go through the trouble of killing something you should at least figure out what it is. Snakes are really cool animals. I wish they weren't given such an evil reputation.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

ZoPteryx

A few animal images from my recent Yellowstone area trip.

A friendly Common Raven in Yellowstone National Park.

Captured this cloudy-eyed Western Terrestrial Garter snake (of the widespread "Wandering" subspecies).  It was also missing a fair portion of its tail.

Burrowing Owl keeping a lookout on Antelope Island, Utah.

Bison and wildflowers in the evening.

Cheeky Black-billed Magpies were looking classy everywhere.

Handsome looking Sagebrush Lizard in Utah.  At least, I think it's a Sagebrush, it might be Plateau Fence Lizard.

Jose S.M.

Great pics! I love bisons.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Nice to see that herd of bison. They're my favorite modern animals. It's been a while since I've seen any (in a zoo, that is).
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Doug Watson

Quote from: ZoPteryx on June 30, 2017, 02:46:19 AM
A few animal images from my recent Yellowstone area trip.

Great shots, especially that Raven, talk about a co-operative subject. I remember being blown away seeing those Magpies on my trip to Alberta. Seeing Bison in the wild never gets old.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: