News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nature Photography (Formally Spring is in the Air)

Started by Gwangi, March 13, 2012, 02:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crackington

Wow, lovely pictures avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian. Haven't seen these geese before, are they visitors to UK? Would have thought it was a bit warmer in Egypt!

ceratopsian

avatar_Crackington @Crackington, I was oblivious to their existence till I met them on the golf course last year in lockdown. They are native to Africa. But there are feral populations widely dispersed, presumably descended from escapees from ornamental collections. So no, they don't migrate. They can swim and indeed we saw the babies swimming strongly yesterday, but the adults spend a lot of time grazing and wandering on land. They make a very peculiar hoarse quack/honk!  Two friends further out in Hertfordshire to whom I showed photos said they had a pair on their respective local ponds.

Edit: forget to add that there are ancient Egyptian wall paintings showing what must be the same birds. Maybe in the Ashmolean?  But a quick Google will bring up something!

Crackington

That's amazing avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian, love the factoid about them being pictured in Egyptian art. I'll keep an eye out for them over my way.

By the way, I see the kites most days now - they were really close the other day, right over our square. Hope they make their way to you soon.

ceratopsian

avatar_Crackington @Crackington - I will keep looking for the red kites!

Dusty Wren

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian, thank you, you solved a mystery for me. I took some photos of some beautiful geese at a farm show a few years back, and forgot to ask the owner what they were. Guess they were Egyptian geese!

Love those spotty little goslings, too.
Check out my customs thread!

Halichoeres

Great photos! Definitely not a species I'd expect to find in England. I suppose the winters there aren't too hard (compared to, say, an equivalent latitude in the US).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Indeed our winters are not especially hard at all.  We tend to get a couple of cold snaps in the average year, but they don't usually last for very long, especially not this far south.  Yours is a much more extreme continental-type climate I think, both hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. I don't know the distribution of these geese and how far north they survive in the UK (e.g. up in Scotland).

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 10, 2021, 11:15:17 PM
Great photos! Definitely not a species I'd expect to find in England. I suppose the winters there aren't too hard (compared to, say, an equivalent latitude in the US).

Newt

My faithful Olympus TG-4 has died. In its honor, I would like to post some photos from our last outing together, to the Cumberland River Bicentennial Trail in Ashland City, Tennessee.

The trail is part of the Rails To Trails program, wherein abandoned sections of railroad grade are paved to make walking paths. There are several such trails in my area. This one runs parallel to the Cumberland River at the margin of its floodplain. To the north of the trail is a former river channel, now a swampy slough with abundant Black Willow and Buttonbush.

To the south is a series of steep slopes and bluffs carved into the limestone by some combination of the Cumberland in its wanderings and the railroad engineers. The slopes are blanketed with typical mixed hardwoods - oaks, hickories, maples, beeches, locusts, and so on. The bluffs are crowned with Eastern Redcedar and festooned with calciphilic plants, like the swathes of moss and sedum seen here.

At this time of year, both bluffs and slopes are decorated with wildflowers (for some reason, few wetland and aquatic plants bloom so early, so the swamps will not show out until late spring and summer). Here are some samples:

Dwarf Larfspur (Delphinium tricorne) with Spring Beauty (Claytonia virginica).

Virginia Bluebells (Mertensia virginica)

Early Saxifrage (Micranthes virginiensis)

More later.

*EDIT* My pictures aren't showing for me. Can anyone else see them?

Lanthanotus

Can only see the first picture showing the wetlands.... looked at the your text, seems you did right with the code to show pictures, but there link addresses
seem rather long, maybe that has something to do with them not showing.

Newt

Hmmm. I deleted the image links and replaced them with the very same links, and now they work. I'm baffled. I think I have whatever the electronic equivalent of a black thumb would be.

False Garlic (Nothoscordum bivalve)

Eastern Columbine (Aquilegia canadensis)

Bulbous Bittercress (Cardamine bulbosus)

Eastern Redbud (Cercis canadensis)

bucatini

Quote from: Gwangi on March 20, 2012, 04:27:21 AM
Spring peepers, American toads and wood frogs but still no chorus frogs (though I did hear some).

Can anyone spot the caddisfly larvae?

The first picture, wow! I would only go there if someone pay me a lot to do it. It looks like a scenery for a horror movie :)

Mellow Stego

avatar_Newt @Newt Wow! That's a gorgeous location.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Newt

Thanks, avatar_Mellow Stego @Mellow Stego ! It's one of my favorite places to walk. Great herping location too - lots of snakes hibernates in crevices in the limestone bluffs. The only herps I saw on this trip were an Eastern Cricket Frog (Acris crepitans), a couple of Little Brown Skinks (Scincella lateralis), and some basking emydid turtles (too far away to make out clearly, but at least some were too big to be anything but Cooters (Pseudemys concinna)). I also heard Cricket Frogs, Spring Peepers (Pseudacris crucifer), and Cope's Gray Treefrogs (Hyla chrysoscelis) calling. I think I was out too early for the snakes' emergence.

Gwangi

lol, I get what you're saying B @bucatini, but the creepy atmosphere for me is part of the appeal. At any rate, I feel safer out there in the swamp than in most cities.

Halichoeres

Sorry to hear about your camera, Newt!

Not so much on the close-ups, but this was the view of Lake Michigan from my window today. I love this town.

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

ceratopsian

What a wonderful open view!

Halichoeres

This was the same window about a month ago:

And about a month before that, a view of downtown from the lakeshore (ground level this time, I love walking in the snow).

Newt

Nice shots, and nice view, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres !

I both love and dread snow. Here in Nashville, where light dustings are the rule, any significant snowfall is a traffic-stalling, utilities-disrupting calamity. We just aren't prepared for it. We had a few inches of snow and freezing rain in February; you would have thought the world was ending.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on April 13, 2021, 02:46:35 AM
Nice shots, and nice view, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres !

I both love and dread snow. Here in Nashville, where light dustings are the rule, any significant snowfall is a traffic-stalling, utilities-disrupting calamity. We just aren't prepared for it. We had a few inches of snow and freezing rain in February; you would have thought the world was ending.

Thanks! Where I live is dense enough that I don't have to own a car or shovel anything, so I only get the upside of snow. I might feel different if I had to clear a long driveway of a foot of slush.

ceratopsian

I've found new places fairly locally to watch avian dinosaurs.  The rarer birds, like the nesting or displaying Great Crested Grebes, keep too far away for my modest camera.  But my new binoculars at least assist the viewing!

A Mallard drake with a rather mud-spattered neck preening at Stocker's Lake, Hertfordshire:

And two from Grovelands Park, Southgate (north London).  A male Mandarin:

And a Tufted Duck female:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: