News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Battat anonymous

Started by laticauda, December 22, 2014, 10:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triceratops83

Depends what sort of dinosaur, Hadrosaurs had more or less pebbly skin and would have the smooth look of a monitor lizard, while Triceratops had scales the size of tea cup saucers, and might be more reasonably crocodile like in appearance. So I love the look of both Battat Hadrosaurs and Safari Ceratopsians.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Pawnosuchus

I'm probably among the oldest members here so I thought I'd  give my perspective on Battats. I was born in the early fifties and one of my first toys was the old Marx set with the one piece landscape with the pond in the middle. For years the Marx was my favorite and I looked forward to a rare new Marx. (the Styracosaurus and others were not in my original set). Eventually Invicta came out and they were a big step up in quality and scale. Finally one day I came across Battats and they were light years better then anything else on the market. I bought them all as fast as I could. I still think that many of their species are the best renditions of some dinosaurs. They took my collection to a new level. I appreciate the hard work and talent all artists must have, regardless of companies they create for but Battats will always be special to me. Just a personal preference.

Paleogene Pals

Many here view Battats like how I view Kaiyodo Dinolands.

loru1588

In 1:40th scale the largest scales on Triceratops ( roughly 2" - 3" in diameter) would be just under 1/16th of an inch or .14 cm. They really wouldn't have a reptilian/crocodilian like appearance. View image < http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/rapidcityjournal.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/a8/aa817f14-9c82-5eec-9b05-70f597e7f6dc/51623fe264cad.preview-620.jpg >

To Pawnosuchus: You and I are in the same age bracket and same mind set with what was available then and now. Marx, Invicta, Safari and yeah, even though i was/am part of it Battat. There are other companies out there that put out a decent representation of past critters and the artists behind the pieces should all be commended on their work.

loru1588

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on December 25, 2014, 05:32:40 PM
Many here view Battats like how I view Kaiyodo Dinolands.

The Kaiyodo stuff old & new, was/is light years ahead in many cases!!

Daspletodave

Marx made toys. Invicta was the first museum line - they tried to make their models as accurate as possible and to a constant 1:45 scale. Other museum lines followed - Carnegie, Schleich, and Bullyland. The initial Carnegie series was simply awful - but they sold well. Perhaps that was because the Carnegie figures were painted, or maybe they just had wide distribution and affordable prices.
The Battat line (Boston Museum ) was awesome right from the start. That is why Battat has that mystique.

Every TOY dino manufacturer has some dreadful turkeys in their line up. Only Battat and Favorite have none.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.