News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My projects for 2015.....Xiphactinus 3/8/15

Started by yankeetrex, December 30, 2014, 04:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeetrex

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 25, 2015, 04:05:56 PM
Quote from: yankeetrex on January 05, 2015, 03:20:28 AM
Tsukuda Raptor......Really want to get rid of this, not a fan of the sculpt.....Anyone wants it pm me before I start painting, haha

I just found this thread, you have got some neat projects on the go. I just noticed that Tsukuda Raptor is sculpted with two left feet how did they miss that in quality control?

Yea, I guess they did :-\ . I received the sealed box, opened it up, and there were two left feet. I tried to add them as best as I could, but It has been the black sheep of my model collection ever since,haha.

Rathalosaurus

Despite its Handycap it is a really nice one!!
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

yankeetrex

stargatedalek

Gallimimus looks nice! Almost like a mount in a museum.

@that velociraptor, now if only you had some extra claws, you could have a balaur ;D

reinier zwanink

What kind of paint do you use
And do you seal it before the wash?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: yankeetrex on February 25, 2015, 07:22:42 PM
Another one down.....

Nice paint work! You can easily tell it's a JP Gallimimus ( something hard to do with newer official products...lol ).

yankeetrex

Quote from: reinier zwanink on February 25, 2015, 08:00:32 PM
What kind of paint do you use
And do you seal it before the wash?

I actually use the cheap paints from Michaels thinned down so they can be used in airbrushed. No I don't seal before I wash, is it something I should do? I'm a rookie with that kind of stuff.

reinier zwanink

Well looking at your work no
I use tamiya and there the wash tends to stain  the pain deu to its matt finish
How do u blend the colors?

Rathalosaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 25, 2015, 07:43:53 PM
Gallimimus looks nice! Almost like a mount in a museum.

@that velociraptor, now if only you had some extra claws, you could have a balaur ;D

I just searched for Balaur. This is such a strange fella'!!! Only two claws at it's hands  but 4 at it's feet!!

Tyto_Theropod

Balaur is indeed strange, and it seems that it's turning out to be quite hard to classify as well - it isn;t certain whether it was a Dromaeosaurid, a 'true' bird or another type of Maniraptoran entirely...
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

yankeetrex

Quote from: reinier zwanink on February 26, 2015, 06:01:36 AM
Well looking at your work no
I use tamiya and there the wash tends to stain  the pain deu to its matt finish
How do u blend the colors?

The way I do it, the washes do tend to stain the model, so I am very vigilant to wipe if it is looking like to much of a stain. As far as blending goes, I airbrush my models, there is nothing that can blend better then airbrushing.  After i'm happy with the airbrushed base colors, I use a wash in either black or brown depending if the base paint is dark or light(for instance black for the dark brown triceratops, and brown for the beige gallimimus. Then I dry brush the raised areas with a lighter shade of the darker skin color. Do they have sealers that are matte in finish? I always see glossy and I do not want glossy models.

stargatedalek

I always buy my supplies from Micheal's as well (they are also the only place around here to buy Safari models to use the supplies on :P ), and I have purchased matte sealant/varnish from them in the past. Just be sure to shake it up well or it may still appear glossy.

Rathalosaurus

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on February 26, 2015, 02:17:44 PM
Balaur is indeed strange, and it seems that it's turning out to be quite hard to classify as well - it isn;t certain whether it was a Dromaeosaurid, a 'true' bird or another type of Maniraptoran entirely...

It keeps getting stranger and stranger!

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Rathalosaurus on February 27, 2015, 08:32:08 AM

Could be the next Deinocheirus... ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Rathalosaurus

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on February 27, 2015, 01:26:07 PM
Quote from: Rathalosaurus on February 27, 2015, 08:32:08 AM

Could be the next Deinocheirus... ;)

And stranger..... Have you got a picture of it's skeleton?

stargatedalek

Rathalosaurus

Thank you.
What the heck, it's bones look like melted together!!

yankeetrex

I know its not a model, but i did build and paint it like one......haha.  And yes I know pronated hands and its a jp raptor, but in its heart of hearts it's still a dinosaur.

yankeetrex

Used the Carnotaurus skin pattern from the Sideshow model, still need to add the back scutes.

yankeetrex

Just Wanted to share my progress on the spinosaurus, she's painted and the base was finished, just need to work on that nasty fish.....

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: