News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pose changes

Started by DinoLord, January 06, 2015, 01:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Has anyone here had luck modifying poses on Safari/Carnegie and Papo figures without cutting and reattaching parts? I'm thinking of minor mods like changing tail or head direction. I have heard of the hot water method but it seems to have mixed results for some.

triceratops83

I've used boiling then cold water treatment for Collecta figures, but they gradually return to their original shape.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Arul

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 06, 2015, 02:58:00 AM
I've used boiling then cold water treatment for Collecta figures, but they gradually return to their original shape.

Wow, how you do that ?  :D

triceratops83

Quote from: ARUL on January 06, 2015, 06:03:31 AM

Just dip them in a bowl of boiling water, bend them to the shape you want (like twisting their neck to face other direction), then dip them in a bowl of cold water to set the pose. But like I said, although it works initially, they warp back to their original shape. I have one Collecta Corythosaurus whose tail remained in the position I put it, but the head moved back to normal. Worth trying before you attempt to cut and modify the figure, in case it works for you, since you ultimately lose nothing.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Arul

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 06, 2015, 06:13:52 AM
Quote from: ARUL on January 06, 2015, 06:03:31 AM

Just dip them in a bowl of boiling water, bend them to the shape you want (like twisting their neck to face other direction), then dip them in a bowl of cold water to set the pose. But like I said, although it works initially, they warp back to their original shape. I have one Collecta Corythosaurus whose tail remained in the position I put it, but the head moved back to normal. Worth trying before you attempt to cut and modify the figure, in case it works for you, since you ultimately lose nothing.

Thanks for the explanation  ;) i'll try it to my chinasaur first hahaha

DinoLord

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 06, 2015, 02:58:00 AM

How long do you find it takes them to revert back in shape?

triceratops83

Quote from: DinoLord on January 06, 2015, 12:08:26 PM
How long do you find it takes them to revert back in shape?

The full story is I tried to re-pose a Collecta Corythosaurus, turning its' head from looking to the side to facing forward, moving the arms downwards and curving the tail. All seemed to work like a charm, but I'd say the head and arms reverted back in a little over a week, but the tail surprisingly (I only checked it when looking at this thread) still has the slight upward curve, and is actually quite difficult to bend back! I say it's totally worth a go, I mean you can't really do any damage - the worst thing that will happen is that it will go back to its' original shape. Then you will know for sure if you need to modify the figure. I WOULD be careful with Papo, though, because of their uh, glued together construction. I can see parts being pulled off before they reshape.

Geemfive

I've also only made negative experience with re-shaping CollectA figures.
First, they look fine. And even though I put them in the freezer over night, they gradually go back to about 90% of their original shape after a few days... .  :(

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.