News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Question about sauropod toys

Started by Dobber, January 10, 2015, 01:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobber

Hi everyone. I am looking to expand my collection and wanted to get a few Sauropod Dino's to my collection and wanted to know which ones stand out to you guys. I've been looking at reviews on TDTF but have been having a hard time keeping things straight...ie...when they were released as each time I read the comments ithey all seems to get the same  "best sauropod yet" ect.  :)). I'd love the Sideshow Apatosaurus but I don't know if I can afford one.

I'm leaning towards the Carnegie Brachiosaurus and Diplodicus. I know most other "Brachiosaurs" are actually Giraffatitans, so can any of those be recommended? I would also like an Apatosaurus and it seems like the Wild Safari is pretty good, though Dan's doesn't have any. Any ideas there or any other Sauropod recommendations? I'm mainly a theropod guy (Tyrannosaurus in particular) so help would be appreciated.  ;)

Thanks guys!

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Manatee

I would recommend the Carnegie Brachiosaurus, WS Nigersaurus, Carnegie Amargasaurus, and the Carnegie Diplodocus. I'm holding out for the 2015 Papo Apatosaurus in regards to the genus, but if you like the WS model, by all means go for it!

triceratops83

Grab the Favorite Tamba Sauropod while you still can. Fantgoodspeed still has them on Ebay. That will be one for others to be jealous of.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

DinoLord

The Sideshow Apatosaurus is definitely worth it if you can manage to get a hold of it. The Kaiyodo Dinotales sauropods (Brachiosaurus & Apatosaurus) are also nice, and their Brachiosaurus is actually proportioned like B. altithorax.

Saurian

Carnegie amargasaurus ,Safari nigersaurus,Collecta diplodocus,Papo brachiosaurus,Carnegie camarasaurus!
Soory,my English is poor

postsaurischian

The Battat Diplodocus will be re-released this year ;).
I also highly recommend the MO Models Diplodocus: http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/diplodocus-resin-kit-by-mo-models/
It's actually in 1:40 - 1:35 (slightly larger than the Battat), not 1:50 as stated.

Dobber

Ooh, I didn't know the Battat Diplodicus WAS being reissued. That one seemed to be the undisputed favorite! I had forgot about the Papo Apatosaurus too. Wasn't there something about it being a juvenile? Is the Battat Diplodicus large? I really liked the size of the Carnegie Diplodicus and new Brach. as I saw them at the Carnegie museum a few weeks ago. Are any of the suggestions around those sizes? I think Sauropods need to have that.....presence.....if you know what I mean, on the display shelf.  ;) I thought the Carnegies fit in the category of big but not too big. Though I would be will to go too big if I can get the Sideshow Apatosaurus!  ;D

Chris

Megalosaurus

Papo Brachiosaurus.
Collecta Jobaria
Collecta Ampelosaurus.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

amargasaurus cazaui

I like the destop favorite amargasaurus and brachiosaurus ...as well as carnegie amargasaurus and I am also quite fond of our own Dan Larosso model Battat Amargasaurus. Another nice but under rated sauropod is the carnegie camarasaurus......
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Yes, the Carnegie Camarasaurus is certainly the best model of the genus you'll find in an acceptable price range. I also agree with recommendations for the Carnegie Diplodocus, Brachiosaurus and Amargasaurus. The CollectA Jobaria has a sunken in chest but is otherwise impressive and large model. The WS Apatosaurus is alright but the Nigersaurus is a must have. Another great sauropod IMO would be the Bullyland Apatosaurus. The Papo Brachiosaurus is certainly well made and impressive to look at but does suffer from a few inaccuracies (if that's important to you).

Keep in mind that although big sauropod toys are nice that some sauropods like Amargasaurus were actually pretty small by sauropod standards. I wouldn't pass it or the WS Nigersaurus up despite that small size.

And yes, the Battat Diplodocus is large. It's in 1:40 scale, the same as the Carnegie version. 

And even though they're old and outdated, the Invicta sauropods are all large and very well made. The Cetiosaurus and Brachiosaurus are actually fairly accurate even for today.

Dobber

Thanks for all the great input. So far I'm looking at getting the Carnegie Diplodicus, latest Brachiosaurus, and after the multiple recommends Amargosaurus. Probably the WS Nigersaurus too. Will also have to get the Battat Diplodicus whenever it comes back out. I may consider the Papo Brachiosaurus and call it a Giraffatitan as I do like Papos "presentation" despite the inaccuracies.

Please keep the info comming. I still would like an Apatosaurus too. I'll look into the Bullyland one and keep my fingers crossed that the Papo won't be too "out there" accuracy-wise. Another thing I take into consideration is availability. Don't want to pay too much for one.

Chris

DinoLord

From what I can tell from the stock photo the Papo Apatosaurus actually looks quite good accuracy-wise.

Therizinosaur

Safari Nigersaurus
Carnegie Camarasaurus
New Carnegie Brachiosaurus
Carnegie Diplodocus
Carnegie Amargasaurus
Carnegie Saltasaurus
CollectA Ampelosaurus
CollectA Jobaria
CollectA Daxiatitan

triceratops83

Quote from: Dobber on January 11, 2015, 12:10:21 AM
Thanks for all the great input. So far I'm looking at getting the Carnegie Diplodicus, latest Brachiosaurus, and after the multiple recommends Amargosaurus. Probably the WS Nigersaurus too. Will also have to get the Battat Diplodicus whenever it comes back out. I may consider the Papo Brachiosaurus and call it a Giraffatitan as I do like Papos "presentation" despite the inaccuracies.

Please keep the info comming. I still would like an Apatosaurus too. I'll look into the Bullyland one and keep my fingers crossed that the Papo won't be too "out there" accuracy-wise. Another thing I take into consideration is availability. Don't want to pay too much for one.

Chris

Most of us are starting to expect an Apatosaurus from Carnegie next year. Grab the Safari one in the meantime, though.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Dobber

I do kind of like the WS one but the more I look at it I'm not so sure about it's neck positioning. It looks kind of "old school" to me.

Chris

Gwangi

Quote from: Dobber on January 12, 2015, 01:18:41 AM
I do kind of like the WS one but the more I look at it I'm not so sure about it's neck positioning. It looks liked of "old school" to me.

Chris

I wasn't sure about it either and I actually put off getting it for many years despite a local craft store having it in stock. Eventually I bought one from another forum member and since I've had it I've grown quite fond of it. It's not particularly large but large enough to have that big sauropod presence.

Maybe the diorama photograph by forum member Seismosaurus can convince you!

Dobber

Darn it GWANGI!  That looks so cool!  8)

Chris

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think the neck is plausible, I'm sure Doug does his homework on it, looks to me it's more based on Greg Paul.  I used it for our 1:1 Apatosaurus as a 3D reference, though I used Hartman's skeletal for the sideview/neck.

Seems Apatosaurs love the beach :

Gwangi

Is that the Safari Great Dinos Apatosaurus? I've been considering that one for awhile. I like the almost retro feel of it. For the sake of shelf space I probably should skip it because I'm going to NEED the Papo model.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on January 12, 2015, 04:12:28 AM
Is that the Safari Great Dinos Apatosaurus? I've been considering that one for awhile. I like the almost retro feel of it. For the sake of shelf space I probably should skip it because I'm going to NEED the Papo model.

Yep. I picked her up while at the beach for 5.00 and decide to do a  quick photo shoot.  I think the tail is a bit too low, the feet aren't accurate , though the neck could be forgiven I think...not a great consensus on sauropod neck positions still..I'd say it's easily an early 90's version.

For more retro the Schleich is totally worth it :

I had to have em' all..sauropods display so well together..all those long necks in a big herd..  :))

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: