You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Utahraptor ostrommaysorum Museum Class Replica “Wind Hunter” [updated]

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, January 13, 2015, 08:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 13, 2015, 02:48:58 PMNow i'm not being funny here but when it comes to feathers and the head how can anyone be 100% sure what it looked like ie where the feathers were? Paleontologist's can't agree on many of these things so unless a live one pops out the ground can accuracy be that accurate?

Phylogeny and cladistics. We know very well what the arm feather arrangement of dromaeosaurids was like from finds such as Microraptor, and it's pretty darn similar to that of other feathered theropods like oviraptorosaurs (like Caudipteryx) and avialans (true birds). While the feather size and appearance probably varied from species to species dependent on factors like size and niche, the general layout was the same. Evolutionary there is no reason for an animal to completely lose the integumentary features its ancestors possessed without some extremely strong naturally selective advantage.

Dobber

Looks like Rebor will give us a nice presentation again. I will admit I was hoping for more feathers, but that's just me. Looking forward to seeing the colored photos.

I'm no Utahraptor expert, so, how does the skull look to those of you with an eye for it?

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

triceratops83

Rebor needs to do a Hadrosaur, rather than another controversial Theropod. I'd buy one for sure. Best part is, Hadrosaurs are DEFINITELY scaly. Something like eleven species have been discovered with integument from enough parts of the body from each specimen to safely say they WEREN'T feathered. Win-win situation for everybody.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

DinoLord

Quote from: Dobber on January 13, 2015, 02:59:36 PM
I'm no Utahraptor expert, so, how does the skull look to those of you with an eye for it?

IIRC Scott Hartman has hinted at a new look for Utahraptor in the works, including the possibility of a slightly downturned lower jaw (a bit like on Masiakosaurus).

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 13, 2015, 03:02:51 PM
Rebor needs to do a Hadrosaur, rather than another controversial Theropod. I'd buy one for sure. Best part is, Hadrosaurs are DEFINITELY scaly. Something like eleven species have been discovered with integument from enough parts of the body from each specimen to safely say they WEREN'T feathered. Win-win situation for everybody.

That would be nice, though they'd probably still end up getting something like tail flexibility or the hand appearance incorrect.  :-\

triceratops83

Quote from: DinoLord on January 13, 2015, 03:03:32 PM
IIRC Scott Hartman has hinted at a new look for Utahraptor in the works, including the possibility of a slightly downturned lower jaw (a bit like on Masiakosaurus).
I wonder if some Dromaeosaurs were heading to a piscivorous lifestyle, with that and those weird South American ones with the long snouts and short arms.

That would be nice, though they'd probably still end up getting something like tail flexibility or the hand appearance incorrect.  :-\
I don't think it'd attract as much attention. Theropods are by their very nature controversial. Plus, they're often portrayed as a step away from movie monsters. Ornithopods would be more easily portrayed in a more naturalistic way, without ostentation. Maybe.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

CityRaptor

The problem is that Hadrosaurs seem to be the worst sellers among Dinosaurs. They seem to lack appeal for the broad masses...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

petebuster1

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 13, 2015, 03:02:51 PM

Yes agree with that, If they'd asked which one next? this wouldn't have been top of the list but i do think its a stand out model which will look even better in 2 days when the colour version is revealed

triceratops83

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 13, 2015, 03:17:25 PM
The problem is that Hadrosaurs seem to be the worst sellers among Dinosaurs. They seem to lack appeal for the broad masses...

That bugs me. Horse figures are among the top sellers for extant animal toys, and Hadrosaurs are like really big scaly horses. If dinosaurs were alive today all little girls would have rooms full of fluffy duck-bill plush. This is why Theropods annoy me - it's like it's not a DINOSAUR unless it has steak knife sized teeth. Ornithopods are graceful animals and should be appreciated more.
I must be getting annoying - I've brought this up a number of times ::)

Patrx

Quote from: Dobber on January 13, 2015, 02:59:36 PM

Here's a photo of one of the newly-found Utahraptor jaws (found via the Everything Dinosaur blog):

In addition to the new jaw shape, the (as yet unpublished) material also evidently shows different proportions for Utahraptor than anticipated. Its legs and tail were rather on the short side. Here's a reconstruction by dromaeosaur expert Emily Willoughby based on a new silhouette by Scott Hartman:

Utahraptor was a stocky bird indeed!

triceratops83

Those multiple Utahraptor fossils recently discovered in a quicksand trap should reveal a whole lot more in the coming months, too.

petebuster1

This is the problem their first 3 models have attracted attention and will all sell very well which is the main target, accuracy issues are minor as we're never going to see a real one anyway to compare it to so its not a big issue for most. Be interesting to see if they keep with carnivores or go with a herb for the next one

Patrx

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 13, 2015, 03:41:59 PM
...accuracy issues are minor as we're never going to see a real one anyway to compare it to so its not a big issue for most.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. When it comes to up-to-date dromaesoaurs, there just aren't many on the market, and I expect there are lots of people who want them. If this Utahraptor had more research behind it, I'd gladly spend over a hundred USD on it without batting an eye.

...I'd have to eat instant noodles for a month, but there you go.

triceratops83

Quote from: Patrx on January 13, 2015, 03:53:39 PM
I'd gladly spend over a hundred USD on it without batting an eye.
...I'd have to eat instant noodles for a month, but there you go.
Ha! Been there, before!

Tallin

But shouldn't a company - any company - that calls its products museum quality strive for accuracy?

Megalosaurus

First the positive for me and then the negative:

+
Well detailed sculp, articulated jaw and fore limbs (I'd love REBOR continue to do that in their future figures).

-
Naked head in a feathered body!!!
I've always dislike that style of feathering. (Yes, "vultures", I know).

In this case I would prefer a completely scaly one.

This is the first REBOR I'll not buy.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Patrx

Quote from: Tallin on January 13, 2015, 04:10:34 PM
But shouldn't a company - any company - that calls its products museum quality strive for accuracy?

You'd certainly think so, wouldn't you?  :-\

That's the problem with the phrase "museum-quality". It sets high expectations, but doesn't really mean very much in the end. I've seen some awful reconstructions at museums. Based on their first few products, I don't think REBOR is out to educate anyone  :(

Tallin

Yeah...they seem to be going for a sensationalist approach - a shame, because their model quality and sculpting is truly beautiful - I have no criticisms there. I with there were more models of therapods in particular in more relaxed poses. We all know they stomped around and rawred some of the time but I would still like some more passive looking creatures. Most meat eaters today look lazy and relaxed when they're not hungry or having their territory encroached upon...
(of course, it's certainly not just Rebor who are guilty of these things, and it's a sensible marketing ploy to many to open your range with intimidating, aggressively posed critters...)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 13, 2015, 02:25:23 PM
Quote from: sauroid on January 13, 2015, 01:02:30 PM
Quote from: petebuster1 on January 13, 2015, 12:50:39 PM
see the feather brigade are at it already ^-^, it looks fully feathered to me though i suppose its the wrong kind of feathers now ::) Think its a stunning model and it looks far better than a chicken with teeth ;D
http://www.theguardian.com/science/lost-worlds/2013/jun/10/dinosaurs-fossils an interesting peice
what are you whining about? we just complimented your favorite company, didnt we? save the wise-*ss retort when the real feather brigade starts swarming on this thread.
Oh stay in your pram  ::)i was referring to feather brigade reply 2  ^-^ if you bothered to read it

C:-) Warning to both of you. @Petebuster1, this is your last warning. "feather brigade" is intentionally provocative, "stay in your pram" is downright rude. Thank you for understanding that this is a polite forum where we respect each others opinions, even if we disagree with them.

darth daniel

The sculpt is nice, but the third thropod in a row? :-\

The photo indicates that the area around the eye is very dark, just as on the Tyrannosaurus. I wonder if it´s really necessary to make an animal look especially "evil" just because it´s a carnivore?

triceratops83

Quote from: darth daniel on January 13, 2015, 04:54:22 PM
The sculpt is nice, but the third thropod in a row? :-\

The photo indicates that the area around the eye is very dark, just as on the Tyrannosaurus. I wonder if it´s really necessary to make an animal look especially "evil" just because it´s a carnivore?

Hey, yeah - it kinda looks like the Joker. Let's hope it has green feathers and a white face.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: