News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

I just want to see a herbivore that's not dead.   I want a living Tenontosaurus, REBOR!

Mod edit: Please avoid all-caps and extraneous punctuation.

SirGrooot

Quote from: Rain on October 02, 2015, 08:44:35 PM
Quote from: Patrx on October 02, 2015, 06:28:21 PM
Yawn. Let me know if they decide to make a herbivore that isn't just a gory prop for one of their zombie-eyed theropod-goblins.

Totally mature and definitely constructive criticism. Gee, I sure wonder why they left the forums, it totally doesn't make any sense. (Sarcasm)

Although, alive herbivores would be appreciated

I mentioned the seemingly unusual negativity in the Rebor threads in another thread. I'm assuming its here to stay along with soaring reviews for $15-$20 plastic molds with below average detail.
Rebor is not "King", but its sad too see that they are in essence the thing people love to bash here. I personally don't relate to "theropod fatigue", but I can understand that people
love herbivores.

tanystropheus

Yawn. Let me know if they decide to make a herbivore that isn't just a gory prop for one of their zombie-eyed theropod-goblins.

This is where things get a bit weird and somewhat irksome, imo. CollectA's dead triceratops (which was, to be fair, quite decent) received rave reviews across the board in the forums. REBOR's dead triceratops (easily on par with a Sideshow maquette) receives a subdued Yawn, at best.

However, having said this, I do believe that REBOR should focus on herbivores, pterosaurs and marine reptiles for the rest of 2015 and perhaps, part of 2016.

Arul

Haha "bullying" rebor product is become common thing right now, dont know why  :D

Patrx

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 03, 2015, 08:20:04 AM
CollectA's dead triceratops (which was, to be fair, quite decent) received rave reviews across the board in the forums. REBOR's dead triceratops (easily on par with a Sideshow maquette) receives a subdued Yawn, at best.

I assure you, I was quite bored by CollectA's dead Triceratops as well  ;D Combining gore or violence with dinosaurs has been done so frequently that it just does not usually capture my attention, personally.

The reasons why people dislike (or like) REBOR and REBOR products have been explored at length in this and other threads; there is no need to revisit that subject. People will continue to critique each REBOR product as it appears, because that's what we do here. More importantly, we agree to disagree. I encourage all of you that find the new Triceratops intriguing to express your opinions, and when the time comes, to add the model to your collections :)
In any case, I look forward to seeing more photos of "fallen queen". The existing image does not give quite enough data to accurately assess the hand anatomy, so frequently mishandled in ceratopsid reconstructins. For REBOR to produce a "living" Triceratops maquette with acceptably accurate forelimbs would do much to boost my personal regard for their work!

tyrantqueen

QuoteHaha "bullying" rebor product is become common thing right now, dont know why
There's no "bullying" going on.

One can purchase a Papo dinosaur with the same amount of detailing as a Rebor for nearly a fraction of the cost. Most other companies get criticised just as much as Rebor do when they mess up. See Battat's Nanshiungosaurus. Considering how expensive Rebor are, most of the criticism is well deserved. When you are paying $10 for a toy, of course you're going to be more forgiving of its flaws than something you paid $40+ plus for.

Don't get me wrong, I like some of Rebor's products (the Acro and the egg set) but I will criticise something I like as well.

By the way, CollectA's dead Triceratops is better value for money and probably more accurate than Rebor's (although I don't buy dead dinosaurs).

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Victoria B on October 03, 2015, 07:02:22 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 02, 2015, 07:16:37 PM
If you mean the Acrocanthosaurus regarding zombie, Rebor representatives commented that they had been put because lions have a fluorescent view on hunting at night.

But that does not mean in my honest view that the Acrocanthosaurus Rebor bad. It does have problems of sustainability.

My Acro has pupils. I don't think its supposed to, but it does.
Because of how REBOR envisioned it, technically they ALL have pupils.  Because it's meant to represent a predator at night time, we're seeing light reflecting of its pupils as it stalks the shoreline late at night, carrying its spoils back home.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Arul

Even the model is perfectly made without factory flaw, people still give harsh "criticism" about everything :D but yeah i know, thats what we do, to discuss. Not all people have same idea and opinion.

Sim

Quote from: Arul on October 03, 2015, 12:47:06 PM
Even the model is perfectly made without factory flaw, people still give harsh "criticism" about everything

I don't think that's true at all.  If a model was made perfectly, wouldn't there be nothing to criticise?  I can't think of a single prehistoric animal toy line that hasn't received criticism.  However it seems that with Rebor if even one person criticises Rebor figures, some people start posting how Rebor seems to be treated unfairly, rather than discuss the criticism constructively.  I agree with Tyrantqueen:
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 03, 2015, 11:51:42 AM

One can purchase a Papo dinosaur with the same amount of detailing as a Rebor for nearly a fraction of the cost. Most other companies get criticised just as much as Rebor do when they mess up. See Battat's Nanshiungosaurus. Considering how expensive Rebor are, most of the criticism is well deserved. When you are paying $10 for a toy, of course you're going to be more forgiving of its flaws than something you paid $40+ plus for.

I'm not trying to start an argument here.  I feel I have to say it seems to me some people here are intolerant of Rebor receiving criticism despite this being a forum for discussion and the criticisms being fair (most have been).  In my time here, I've never seen this happen consistently for any of the prehistoric animal toy lines (except Rebor if you count it as one).  Battat is my favourite line.  Battat figures have received criticism for different things.  I've never said Battat is being treated unfairly, it should be liked more, some people always complain, Battat's received a roasting, etc..  If criticisms are fair, they're fair.  And they could help a company be aware of what they haven't done well, and improve.  Sometimes when I've seen Battat figures criticised for reasons that aren't correct, I've explained the misunderstanding constructively.

Rain

Quote from: Sim on October 03, 2015, 01:48:54 PM
Quote from: Arul on October 03, 2015, 12:47:06 PM
Even the model is perfectly made without factory flaw, people still give harsh "criticism" about everything

I don't think that's true at all.  If a model was made perfectly, wouldn't there be nothing to criticise?  I can't think of a single prehistoric animal toy line that hasn't received criticism.  However it seems that with Rebor if even one person criticises Rebor figures, some people start posting how Rebor seems to be treated unfairly, rather than discuss the criticism constructively.  I agree with Tyrantqueen:
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 03, 2015, 11:51:42 AM

I'm not trying to start an argument here.  I feel I have to say it seems to me some people here are intolerant of Rebor receiving criticism despite this being a forum for discussion and the criticisms being fair (most have been).  In my time here, I've never seen this happen consistently for any of the prehistoric animal toy lines (except Rebor if you count it as one).  Battat is my favourite line.  Battat figures have received criticism for different things.  I've never said Battat is being treated unfairly, it should be liked more, some people always complain, Battat's received a roasting, etc..  If criticisms are fair, they're fair.  And they could help a company be aware of what they haven't done well, and improve.  Sometimes when I've seen Battat figures criticised for reasons that aren't correct, I've explained the misunderstanding constructively.

I don't love Rebor as much as other members here seem to do, the only reason I comment on the criticisms is because they go too far. Criticism is good when it's constructive, it helps a company grow and learn from their mistakes. Without it Rebor wouldn't have made such a good Ceratosaurus or Acro, they'd still be making stuff like their Yutyrannus. What irks me though, is that members on this forum, and it seems to be the exact same ones each time, think it's okay to not criticize, but insult Rebor.

Take Patrx for example, he's not fond of a dead herbivore, understandable. He'd prefer a living one, understandable. But what isn't understandable, is the rude remarks he had to add. He could've easily gotten his point across without referring to Rebor's theropods as "zombie eyed goblins". Rebor definitely isn't perfect but that doesn't mean you can go around tossing such degrading remarks. I'd assume it's really demotivating for them as a company.

That being said, every company receives their fair share of criticism and the odd individual who likes to go beyond criticism and start insulting. But Rebor gets a lot more than just one odd individual , which is why I believe some Rebor fans are , as you put it, intolerant of Rebor's criticism.

Criticize all you want, but don't insult someone's handwork and artwork.

tyrantqueen

Rude remarks are against the rules, right? Patrx is a mod. Maybe Patrx can ban himself? :))

(Don't take that too seriously, I'm just teasing :P I don't want to see Pat banned, he's nice.)

Rain

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 03, 2015, 04:05:34 PM
Rude remarks are against the rules, right? Patrx is a mod. Maybe Patrx can ban himself? :))

(Don't take that too seriously, I'm just teasing :P I don't want to see Pat banned, he's nice.)

Haha that's funny

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 03, 2015, 04:05:34 PM

Ack! I will say I ended up sounding more insulting than I'd planned to, alas. I do endeavor to be nice.
If it'll help get things back on track: "zombie-eyed" = the dark circles around the eyes; "goblin-theropod" = the stylized designs. Neither was meant to insult the sculptor (whose impressive skills I've complimented in the past), just to express further disappointment with the direction the company is taking.

Sim

I agree rudeness isn't good.  However, some of the recent comments saying things like, Rebor isn't being liked enough, some people always complain, Rebor's been roasted again, all came after some people expressed their disappointment about the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus having such oversized feet, and having standing issues (despite the oversized feet and the base).  There was no rudeness or insulting from those who criticised these things about the figure.  Many of these poeple had the figure too.

Rain

Quote from: Sim on October 03, 2015, 05:17:59 PM
I agree rudeness isn't good.  However, some of the recent comments saying things like, Rebor isn't being liked enough, some people always complain, Rebor's been roasted again, all came after some people expressed their disappointment about the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus having such oversized feet, and having standing issues (despite the oversized feet and the base).  There was no rudeness or insulting from those who criticised these things about the figure.  Many of these poeple had the figure too.

I agree with you on this. I was only referring to the criticism that isn't actually criticism. Some of us do need to realize that criticism =/= bullying

Shonisaurus

I completely agree with the forum. The destructive criticism discourage traders from toys. Constructive criticism serve to rectify.

With the knowledge that members of such important forum dinosaurs can make traders reconsider and modify early prehistoric animal toys.

I for one am very happy with the Acrocanthosaurus Rebor. I think a great piece.

Tapejara1122

I do understand that people dont like the inaccuracies in the rebor figures but can we get over it already? I mean I dont like innacuracies in any figure but what can I do? Threaten the sculptor for not making the figures right and beg for refunds? For example, in jurassic park the raptors arent accurate, or like the papo oviraptor isnt feathered, or the safari's trike's feet, or papo's spino's facial issues, but do we bring them up as much as rebor? No.

Now look, I understand that these are expensive, NEW figures, and we want to talk about them, but why talk about the bad parts and almost never bring up the good things. And if we are going to criticize the figures do we have to do it in such a nasty way that makes us look like children? Im a fourteen year old and I even dont judge them with so much aggressivenes. " Oh the feet are kinda big on the acro, but man look at that color scheme and that vicious face! ". Its sad to see some of the adults or so I think act like this.

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

joossa

Quote from: Rain on October 03, 2015, 03:48:38 PM
I don't love Rebor as much as other members here seem to do, the only reason I comment on the criticisms is because they go too far. Criticism is good when it's constructive, it helps a company grow and learn from their mistakes. Without it Rebor wouldn't have made such a good Ceratosaurus or Acro, they'd still be making stuff like their Yutyrannus. What irks me though, is that members on this forum, and it seems to be the exact same ones each time, think it's okay to not criticize, but insult Rebor.

Take Patrx for example, he's not fond of a dead herbivore, understandable. He'd prefer a living one, understandable. But what isn't understandable, is the rude remarks he had to add. He could've easily gotten his point across without referring to Rebor's theropods as "zombie eyed goblins". Rebor definitely isn't perfect but that doesn't mean you can go around tossing such degrading remarks. I'd assume it's really demotivating for them as a company.

That being said, every company receives their fair share of criticism and the odd individual who likes to go beyond criticism and start insulting. But Rebor gets a lot more than just one odd individual , which is why I believe some Rebor fans are , as you put it, intolerant of Rebor's criticism.

Criticize all you want, but don't insult someone's handwork and artwork.
Well stated, Rain. I agree with you. It's not necessarily the delivery of criticism itself, it's the harsh, rude, distasteful, and antagonistic delivery of it that you don't often see with other lines.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

tyrantqueen

Meh, I learned a while ago the best way to deal with it is to just grow a thicker skin. Sorry if that sounds dismissive, but it will save you a lot of trouble in the long run. If you do find a post that you perceive to be insulting to the sculptor and/or company or overly rude or aggressive, you can report it to a moderator.

Shonisaurus

One bad thing I see in the Acrocanthosaurus Rebor is that you need to add more layers of paint to prevent abrasions.

I speak from my own experience, I am a very careful person in regard to dinosaurs and prehistoric animals in general, and I noticed that by the mere touch with other figures, my Acrocanthosaurus has already small abrasions.

Moreover, in all honesty it is not observed any seams in the portion of the jaw or in the rest of the body. And hooves are carefully crafted.

The drawbacks in this figure summarizing: lack of more coats of paint as Papo to prevent abrasions and sustainability problems (in fact I still have the support of the enbalaje acro plastic to prevent falls).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: