News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobber

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 28, 2015, 04:08:30 PM
I'm actually surprised that they uploaded one today.  I expected them to take the weekend off and fill up next week with updates.  I'm okay with this though!  Sorry that you think it looks boring Albertosaurus, frankly I couldn't be more excited.  I like that it isn't taking too many liberties(so far) with accuracy by making it spikier and more JP-ified than it needs to be.  Granted, that may change a little with the headsculpt, but at least the spine looks like a spine rather than a buzz-saw blade like I've seen some small figurines of Acro do.  They've correctly given its first finger the largest claw, though I personally can't speak to whether the arm is correctly positioned for the animal or not.  Also, it might just be a trick of the lighting, but even in greyscale, the thumb claw seems to be a different color than the middle and third claws.  Unlike another Acrocanthosaurus coming out this year, REBOR's has the high spine starting at the back of the skull and going down the neck, all the way over the back and to the base of the tail, and the small scutes topping the spines are a nice touch.  What I can see of the head looks promising, lots of sharp teeth, nothing really to complain about.  The teeth seem finer than on the Ceratosaurus, which I rather appreciate.  And another thing I like is that they haven't given it an emaciated appearance, meaning we can't really see the ribs poking through.  Can't say much about the half of the foot, might be too big.  But honestly, the color scheme is what will "make or break" Acrocanthosaurus.  And from what I've seen from them so far, REBOR will likely give us an interesting color scheme.

I agree Shadowknight....though the foot does look a bit odd from what we can see of it. Not sure if it is a size thing or an odd stance. Will just have to wait and see.  ;)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah I was thinking " nice detail" then I saw that foot..then I shifted to "woah!". Maybe that image is out of scale with the others?

DinoLord

I wonder if this one will be free-standing? Honestly I would have rathered they just went with a base and accurate-sized feet than have (from what I can see so far) really huge feet.

Shadowknight1

Acro is supposed to have a base with a corpse on it, but likely it isn't ready to show yet.  Heck, I don't think they were ready to tease Acro yet, but it's been pretty highly demanded.  As for whether the feet are oversized or not, we should know in the next three days.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 28, 2015, 05:33:01 PM
Yeah I was thinking " nice detail" then I saw that foot..then I shifted to "woah!". Maybe that image is out of scale with the others?
Wouldn't that make the arms to small?

As much I'd like to say it might just be the pose, the toes (or even just the claws) are already over-sized without seeing the rest of the foot.

Shadowknight1

Honestly, I don't care if the feet are a little too big.  Leaving out resin kits, this is one of very few Acrocanthosaurus toys/models to come out in recent memory.  Most of them have been Japanese small figures.  Outside of those, the only ones I ever see are the Carnegie and Wild Safari Acros.  I think I can live with oversized feet if it means having a sizable replica of one of my favorite theropods.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 28, 2015, 06:32:17 PM

As much I'd like to say it might just be the pose, the toes (or even just the claws) are already over-sized without seeing the rest of the foot.

Was the arms part of the same pic? I haven't been keeping track.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 29, 2015, 07:53:32 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on March 28, 2015, 06:32:17 PM

Was the arms part of the same pic? I haven't been keeping track.
Yes, they were.  Tail mostly complete, kinda wondering if they'll give us more than one fragment again since the fragment just under the tail won't have much to it.

Arul

Maybe the foot is seems too big but i hope its just a "camera effect". Maybe its walking/turning/stand on tip toes just like green running trex papo

Shadowknight1

At least this Acro can make a trackway unlike CollectA's which seems to have more toenail than toe. :))

Dan

The feet will be pretty big, kind of like the Safari version. The antorbital fenestrae look deeply set, making the lacrimal stand out quite a bit. If those don't bother you though, it's a nice figure. The base will be particularly interesting.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Dan on March 29, 2015, 08:12:33 PM
The feet will be pretty big, kind of like the Safari version. The antorbital fenestrae look deeply set, making the lacrimal stand out quite a bit. If those don't bother you though, it's a nice figure. The base will be particularly interesting.
Comparing the picture we have so far with my Safari Acro, the feet are a bit big, but the toe claws on REBOR's are smaller.  And obviously you know some things we don't. ;D  I think the sculpt looks pretty great, just hope the paint job will do it justice among its predecessors.

Dobber

Oh...to know what Dan knows!!  :'(

;D
Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

The feet look even larger than the safari version, I compared the foot to the lower jaw in both in the Safari figure it's the same size, in the Rebor piece the foot looks larger than the lower jaw.

Maybe someone will want to sell the base of theirs? I could make use of that..if it's that interesting.

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 30, 2015, 02:02:54 AM

The feet look even larger than the safari version, I compared the foot to the lower jaw in both in the Safari figure it's the same size, in the Rebor piece the foot looks larger than the lower jaw.

Maybe someone will want to sell the base of theirs? I could make use of that..if it's that interesting.

I bet that some people would start Saying that This is a Ripp off of the Safrai model? I can see that happening, it happened with the Yutyrannus and Tyrannosaurus.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Takama on March 30, 2015, 02:55:15 AM

I bet that some people would start Saying that This is a Ripp off of the Safrai model? I can see that happening, it happened with the Yutyrannus and Tyrannosaurus.

Its also in the same pose as the Papo allosaurus... But seriously, it looks similar, but I doubt it just due to how few poses are possible (or used) to keep a theropod on two legs.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on March 30, 2015, 03:01:56 AM

Its also in the same pose as the Papo allosaurus... But seriously, it looks similar, but I doubt it just due to how few poses are possible (or used) to keep a theropod on two legs.
And they'll probably avoid any unusual strides in their poses for a while since Utahraptor had so many issues.

As for "rip-offs", there are as Pachyrhinosaurus said, only so many poses that can be used to keep a theropod on two legs, especially if you want it to be interesting rather than just be standing totally still.  Calling it now though, the color scheme and the base are going to be the major selling points of Acrocanthosaurus.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 30, 2015, 02:02:54 AM

Haha, why not just get the whole model? I'm pretty sure that it will be REBOR's premier carnivore model (and perhaps one of the best Acro models of all time). It will probably look amazing in full color and when all the angles are revealed.  I have the Safari version but it leaves me mildly unsatisfied for some reason.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 30, 2015, 03:24:02 AM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on March 30, 2015, 03:01:56 AM

And they'll probably avoid any unusual strides in their poses for a while since Utahraptor had so many issues.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

stargatedalek

For some people accuracy is important,  and buying a whole figure you don't want for its base might not be worth the price.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: