News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

I get the feeling that they're making "awesomebro" styled dinosaurs just to spite scientific acuracy.
Who know, they sure as hell ain't getting my money until they make something that might interest me.
like a living breathing tenontosaurus

Faelrin

About time they do a JP styled Dilophosaurus since they've done nearly every raptor variant in the films so far, although it would have been interesting to see their original take on this creature for their 1:35 lineup.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

For the photographs the dilophosaurus will do it with multiple joints. Honestly I like dinosaurs but I'm not a fan of articulated dinosaurs for that are the magnificent figures of Jurassic Park or Lego that are magnificent figures mainly intended for children.

Of course I'm not going to buy dinosaurs and prehistoric animals with multiple pieces articulated and less still removable, they may be very well made but I'm not a follower of that type of figures I like more conservative and realistic figures.

Reptilia

Quote from: Flaffy on March 17, 2018, 07:43:34 PM
They somehow managed to screw up a JP Dilo.

Sorry, how exactly they screwed it up? We can see very little of the Dilophosaurus in the original movie to say that the skin texture is substantially different.

Quote from: Dinomike on March 17, 2018, 10:40:15 PM
I generally like Rebor's stuff but the dilophosaurus is somehow weird looking. I guess it's because of the pronation of the hands and the oddly shaped skull.

Quote from: Atokensis on March 18, 2018, 03:37:56 AM
... and the hands are pronated. Not good!

It's a JP Dilophosaurus, it has to have pronated hands!

To me looks good. My only complaint is the generic pose, considering the great job they did with the raptors I was expecting something similarly dynamic for the Dilophosaurus. They said it will have bendy tail and neck, so despite not being a fan of articulations at least that will give some variation options to the pose. The two names suggest different colour schemes, like they're doing with the Ankylosaurus, I hope that "Green Death" will resemble enough the screen version.

Flaffy

Rebor has this thing for over scaling their figures for some reason. A good amount of detail is a nice thing, but an overabundance of it is jarring.
The JP Dilo sculpt has different sizes and variations of scales and wrinkles, while the Rebor one looks like it's infected with smallpox.
(sure you can argue that there are mild variations on the JP ripoff, but definitely not to the extent of the original)
On the proportions. This is waaay too stocky to be a JP Dilo, and the hands might be too big and long. The whole thing just feels off.
It has no identity, if it's meant to be a JP clone (obviously it is), it's not a very good one. And if it wants to be a standalone Dilophosaurus? It's got all the problems of a JP Dilo clone, and hardly any of the good things. Maybe a JP inspired colour scheme will win me over, but so far it's unlikely, and I have yet to purchase a single Rebor product.

One can simply and easily search up behind the scenes photos of the Dilophosaurus animatronic to get a clearer look at the sculpt.

I really want to like Rebor, I really do. But they seem so focused on spiting scientific accuracy, making JP clones over and over again. The drama from back in the day and their PR still leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Shadowknight1

*@*$ing fantastic!  They finally, FINALLY do a Dilophosaurus, and it's the horrible JP one.  Give a great early predator his due, even PAPO didn't go the JP route!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

stargatedalek

Yeesh, that's just a generic inaccurate theropod with the JP Dilo crests on it. The least they could have done was do a good JP Dilo.

SidB

On a different. but significant note: congratulations on reaching the 4000 post milestone. That's no mean feat, Stargatedalek!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Atokensis on March 18, 2018, 03:37:56 AM
... and the hands are pronated. Not good!

Here are pictures since they haven't been posted yet:

I guess REBOR was too humble to become the first mainstream toy company to make a Dilo with non-pronated arms!

They should have just added detachable frills. Or perhaps, we could take Mattel's frills and tack it on this model.

Patrx

It doesn't appear at this stage to be a substantially better Jurassic Park Dilophosaurus than the one iToy made a couple years back:

stargatedalek

Quote from: SidB on March 18, 2018, 04:13:00 PM
On a different. but significant note: congratulations on reaching the 4000 post milestone. That's no mean feat, Stargatedalek!
I actually had no idea, thanks for pointing it out.

Shonisaurus

By the way the deinosuchus its production is slowing down and sincerely is the one that interests me most I see it as a superior figure to other companies whose figures are discontinued.

And the sarcosuchus? He is another figure that I would like him to make the Rebor brand. But please do not overly articulate! With the jaw is enough!  :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Patrx on March 18, 2018, 04:34:55 PM
It doesn't appear at this stage to be a substantially better Jurassic Park Dilophosaurus than the one iToy made a couple years back:

This was my issue, if your going to an obvious film copy, then make it look like what it's supposed to be, like the JP Raptors.  Not doing so and not doing it for accuracy is just being lazy in the design dept. 

suspsy

You know, we gripe a lot (justifiably so) about dromaeosaurs constantly getting shafted due to their featherless JP image, but sometimes I feel Dilophosaurus has it even worse. REBOR clearly never bothered to even glimpse at an image of a genuine skull.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

I have to agree with that. As much as I like the JP version (as a movie monster), I don't know if there are really any accurate models out there currently for this genus (that do it justice).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Syndicate Bias

I think when they Started Jurassic Park back in the 90s, they should've gone for the real king of the dinosaurs, Giganotosaurus!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on March 19, 2018, 02:06:28 AM
I have to agree with that. As much as I like the JP version (as a movie monster), I don't know if there are really any accurate models out there currently for this genus (that do it justice).

models yes..figures/toys...not so much.

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on March 19, 2018, 02:13:50 AM
I think when they Started Jurassic Park back in the 90s, they should've gone for the real king of the dinosaurs, Giganotosaurus!

At that time i hadn't even heard of Giganotosaurus.  I think i may have vaguely known what Amargasaurus  and Carnotaurus were in 93'.

Patrx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 19, 2018, 03:15:08 AM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on March 19, 2018, 02:13:50 AM
At that time i hadn't even heard of Giganotosaurus.  I think i may have vaguely known what Amargasaurus  and Carnotaurus were in 93'.

Aye, Giganotosaurus wasn't described until 1995. I remember reading about it back then!

Syndicate Bias

yea its fairly new compared to the t Rex which i forget how long ago was it now? like over a century ago or are getting close?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Faelrin on March 19, 2018, 02:06:28 AM

We have reasonably accurate Monolophosaurus and Cryolophosaurus. I wonder what went wrong with Dilo...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: