News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on February 26, 2020, 12:23:21 PM
Quote from: Rain on February 25, 2020, 12:02:39 AM

I hope they mean "once hairs, skin, and subcutaneous fat are added", because nothing in nature is that ripped beneath its fur... Just google hairless lions.

Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome design and I might even consider getting it as-is, just as a fantasy monster. Rebor has been pretty candid in the past about acknowledging how some of their models are deliberately exaggerated or sci-fi ish to appeal to a big market segment. Nothing wrong with that. But the act of acknowledging it is important.

The sculpt is only 40% finished and without these over exaggerated muscles at this stage we won't be able to get all those very subtle muscle definitions right at later stages. 

Once a thin layer of clay for sculping hairs is added then everything will look natural and realistic. The reason we sculpted the musculature digitally is because it's more efficient and accurate to adjust all kinds of small details on the T-pose, then we'll hand-sculpting hairs as the traditional techniques give better results than their digital counterparts.

By the way just Google "lion muscles" and you'll realise that these large cats are acutally quite ripped in real life...

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Loon on February 25, 2020, 05:24:52 PM
Also, since Rebor gives all of their figures music inspired names, I would like this smilodon to be called "Dr. Teeth".

The name is Stray Cat ;)

Shonisaurus

I think that Rebor smilodon is going to be better than the rest of felines of the same species made by other brands of conventional prehistoric animals. Hopefully Rebor will sell it soon. I'm glad you make prehistoric mammals collectible.

By the way, Rebor, when will titanoboa and sarcosuchus and deinosuchus be available? And when will the four hundred percent scientific spinosaurus and tyrannosaurus models be available? I am interested in them.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I don't have high hopes for that, it looks like it belongs in He-Man Masters of the Universe sorry. I would love a live Tenontosaurus though, so it's a shame you probably won't ever make one.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Loon

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on February 26, 2020, 09:04:23 PM
I don't have high hopes for that, it looks like it belongs in He-Man Masters of the Universe sorry.

That's an insult to Cringer.

stargatedalek

I know nitpicking REBOR products is basically a pastime around here, one I often take part in, but they are absolutely right here. As someone who uses the same method of hand sculpting details on top of 3D printed forms, using highly defined musculature works extremely well. It also works well if you are creating hard segments to cover later with fabric for articulated soft figures.

I can't speak for the length of the teeth however.

The Prehistoric Traveler

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on February 26, 2020, 01:36:01 PM

I hope they mean "once hairs, skin, and subcutaneous fat are added", because nothing in nature is that ripped beneath its fur... Just google hairless lions.

Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome design and I might even consider getting it as-is, just as a fantasy monster. Rebor has been pretty candid in the past about acknowledging how some of their models are deliberately exaggerated or sci-fi ish to appeal to a big market segment. Nothing wrong with that. But the act of acknowledging it is important.

The sculpt is only 40% finished and without these over exaggerated muscles at this stage we won't be able to get all those very subtle muscle definitions right at later stages. 

Once a thin layer of clay for sculping hairs is added then everything will look natural and realistic. The reason we sculpted the musculature digitally is because it's more efficient and accurate to adjust all kinds of small details on the T-pose, then we'll hand-sculpting hairs as the traditional techniques give better results than their digital counterparts.

By the way just Google "lion muscles" and you'll realise that these large cats are acutally quite ripped in real life...

I have seen tigers with nearly the same amount of muscle as your smilodon model so i fully agree. Tigers are more muscular than lions.  https://imgur.com/gallery/vYthZjE Not to mention that smilodon was more robust than a tiger. This is not a fantasy smilodon.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 26, 2020, 09:53:48 PM
I know nitpicking REBOR products is basically a pastime around here, one I often take part in, but they are absolutely right here. As someone who uses the same method of hand sculpting details on top of 3D printed forms, using highly defined musculature works extremely well. It also works well if you are creating hard segments to cover later with fabric for articulated soft figures.

I can't speak for the length of the teeth however.

The length of the teeth are correct as we've followed fossil evidence strictly, we didn't even bother to call it an Alpha male and make the teeth slightly longer for aesthetic reasons this time. Zbrush has a function that allow you to paste the photo of the skull on the canvas then sculpt around it so there shouldn't be any mistake unless the reference material we used was incorrect:

It's just that the lips are up and the roots of the teeth are showing so they just appear a bit longer.

Sometime we go full scientifically accurate on some of our sculpts and the Smilodon just happen to be one of those, it's because their Felidae relatives are still living among us and we all know what large cats are supposed to look like so there is zero room for creativity or awesomebro treatments here and we need to follow reference materials by the book otherwise the final results just won't look right and everybody will be able to tell.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: The Prehistoric Traveler on February 26, 2020, 10:11:20 PM

I have seen tigers with nearly the same amount of muscles as your smilodon model so i fully agree. https://imgur.com/gallery/vYthZjE Not to mention that a smilodon was more robust than a tiger. This is not a fantasy smilodon.

Thank you! Finally someone who understands us :'(

The Prehistoric Traveler

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on February 26, 2020, 10:34:50 PM
Quote from: The Prehistoric Traveler on February 26, 2020, 10:11:20 PM

I have seen tigers with nearly the same amount of muscles as your smilodon model so i fully agree. https://imgur.com/gallery/vYthZjE Not to mention that a smilodon was more robust than a tiger. This is not a fantasy smilodon.

Thank you! Finally someone who understands us :'(

No problem. Thanks for the smilodon (and the gorilla, titanoboa etc, all favorite species of mine). I hope it will be released this year.

The Prehistoric Traveler

Quote from: Stolpergeist on February 27, 2020, 08:17:02 AM
They still are too long.
After death the teeth get a bit loose in their sockets and slide out a bit, making them appear longer in some specimens but the teeth on the model appear to even be longer than on those.
It would help to post the skull of your model to compare it with other ones.

No they are about right. When i take you valid point about the loosening of the teeth into account, the LaBrea tar pits specimen's teeth (fatalis) are still longer than the ones on the REBOR model. https://gramho.com/media/2236691377743702498

REBOR_STUDIO

They still are too long.
After death the teeth get a bit loose in their sockets and slide out a bit, making them appear longer in some specimens but the teeth on the model appear to even be longer than on those.

Please read our pervious comments.

Also never heard of this theory anywhere, could someone please confirm this? Even if it's true and the teeth did slide out of the sockets for 1-2cm which is a lot, that's like 1-2mm on a 1:10 scale model and even professional sculpters with trained eyes won't be able to tell and have to measure them with a caliper to know for sure.

The Prehistoric Traveler

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on February 27, 2020, 11:08:30 AM
They still are too long.

Also never heard of this theory anywhere, could someone please confirm this? Even if it's true and the teeth did slide out of the sockets for 1-2cm which is a lot, that's like 1-2mm on a 1:10 scale model and even professional sculpters with trained eyes won't be able to tell and have to measure them with a caliper to know for sure.

REBOR the loosening of the teeth is a possibility not a given.

Dinoguy2

They still are too long.

I don't know if this applies to mammals, and is obviously going to vary a lot between fossils, but it has been discussed a fair bit when it comes to dinosaurs. Example: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/sinornithosaurus-probably-wasnt-venomous-after-all-75529149/

The teeth of most T. rex mounts are also hanging by a thread far out of their sockets, though this is usually obvious looking at the color and texture.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on February 27, 2020, 12:46:54 PM
They still are too long.

I don't know if this applies to mammals, and is obviously going to vary a lot between fossils, but it has been discussed a fair bit when it comes to dinosaurs. Example: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/sinornithosaurus-probably-wasnt-venomous-after-all-75529149/

The teeth of most T. rex mounts are also hanging by a thread far out of their sockets, though this is usually obvious looking at the color and texture.

*cough* Stan. *cough*

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on February 27, 2020, 12:46:54 PM
They still are too long.

Mammals have much firmer teeth roots while dinosaurs replace their teeth constantly like sharks.

Syndicate Bias

I gotta say I feel bad for avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO
There will always be something to nitpick  ::P

Shonisaurus

I sincerely agree with you the prehistoric dinosaurs and animals of Rebor I like and they seem to me scientists like the stegosaurus (the three versions of painting).

Killekor

I find that this Smilodon is turning out Amazing! avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO , that's truly a masterpiece! Naturally I can't wait to see it with the fur, at that point it will become even more great!
I have to say that I'm sincerely impressed. The Stegosaurus (which I'll surely get soon), the GnG Spino, the crocodiles and now this Smilodon... these are some of the best Prehistoric toys Ever!

I think that this is the moment for me start collecting Mammals, with the release of the CollectA Elasmotherium, this Smilodon and that superb Papo Megaloceros...

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: