News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prehistoric Traveler

REBOR what's the estimate on the release date for this precious beast (the smilodon)? This year PLEASE.

Loon

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 23, 2020, 09:30:36 PM
And like, hey, if they do want to do accurate herbivores/pterosaurs/corpses/other extinct animals to appeal to the accuracy group and then do inaccurate theropods to appeal to JP fans I have no issues with that.

I would be fine with that. I loved it when CollectA did corpses, and some from Rebor would be welcome, especially if they're going to look as accurate as this Protoceratops (despite the clawed 4th and 5th digits). It's just the attitude the present themselves with is so off-putting; like we should be grateful for them supposedly being force to make a mediocre ankylosaurus and decent stegosaurus. Sometimes I wonder if they want my money or not.

Quote from: The Prehistoric Traveler on April 23, 2020, 11:50:11 PM
REBOR what's the estimate on the release date for this precious beast (the smilodon)? This year PLEASE.
They've still got the King Kong, Carnotaurus, and Grab n' Go Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus to release before this. Given current circumstances, I wouldn't count on it.

Loon

QuoteTook us two long years and we've finally done it! Meet REBOR 1:35 scale Titanoboa cerrejonensis Monty Premium Edition super posable figure(65cm)&Strangled Crocodile accessory(18.5cm). Monty won't break, Monty won't crack and Monty is built to last! Pre-order starting tomorrow, first come first serve!

Shonisaurus

I will wait tomorrow to preorder the titanoboa, but I will wait for an online store in Europe to sell it.

It looks spectacular, by the way the nickname of the titanoboa "Monty" I suppose that it will refer to some of the music to which Rebor has so accustomed us.

Loon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 24, 2020, 03:14:46 AM
I will wait tomorrow to preorder the titanoboa, but I will wait for an online store in Europe to sell it.

It looks spectacular, by the way the nickname of the titanoboa "Monty" I suppose that it will refer to some of the music to which Rebor has so accustomed us.

I thought it was a Monty Python reference.

Avian

Quote from: Loon on April 24, 2020, 03:30:03 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 24, 2020, 03:14:46 AM

I thought it was a Monty Python reference.

Me too, unless there is some detail I am missing.
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Flaffy

1) Are the badlands and jungle/swamp variants still planned?

2) Can anyone identify the genus/species of croc that is?

3) Those bloody angry eyebrows will never not look silly and goofy. They are far too excessive, and almost as if it's trying too hard to be menacing or "awesome". I personally feel that the anaconda design in Anaconda executed the "angry eyebrows" look far better.

4) This is a revolutionary snake figure imo. All previous attempts at a bendy wire snake figure were either far too stiff for any useful posing (e.g. Papo rattlesnake), or had plastic that tore easily and paint that would flake off from minimal wear. Massive props to Rebor for finding a solution to this issue that's all too common with figures of this sort.

Shonisaurus

The figure looks highly threatening. It looks like a real snake is monstrously beautiful and fantastic this titanoboa.

The Prehistoric Traveler

Quote from: Flaffy on April 24, 2020, 05:00:46 AM
1) Are the badlands and jungle/swamp variants still planned?

3) Those bloody angry eyebrows will never not look silly and goofy. They are far too excessive, and almost as if it's trying too hard to be menacing or "awesome". I personally feel that the anaconda design in Anaconda executed the "angry eyebrows" look far better.

4) This is a revolutionary snake figure imo. All previous attempts at a bendy wire snake figure were either far too stiff for any useful posing (e.g. Papo rattlesnake), or had plastic that tore easily and paint that would flake off from minimal wear. Massive props to Rebor for finding a solution to this issue that's all too common with figures of this sort.

1. As it is very limited, i doubt there will be other versions. They would have been announced. 2. I doubt it's a prehistoric member of the family. 3 Will you say the same to a rattlesnake? Yes i know it's a constrictor and not a viper, but since there are actual snakes with that downright angry look i'm not to bothered with it. Helps it to make it look a bit different from an anaconda. 4. I wonder how durable the paintjob is. 

Flaffy

Quote from: The Prehistoric Traveler on April 24, 2020, 05:21:37 AM
3 Will you say the same to a rattlesnake? Yes i know it's a constrictor and not a viper, but since there are actual snakes with that downright angry look i'm not to bothered with it. Helps it to make it look a bit different from an anaconda.
It's not the eyebrows itself that are the issue, it's the poor execution, along with it being haphazardly stapled onto a boid.
Even you understand that it's not a rattleshake, but a "constrictor". According to your logic, might as well give the Titanoboa fangs since some snakes had them, even if if it defeats the entire purpose of making a constrictor.

Faelrin

I hope I don't miss out on those pre-orders going up tomorrow. Both the Titanoboa and croc are beautifully painted/colored. I only waited those past two years for this, and I think it turned out well worth it too, despite the few anatomical issues. This is going to be quite easily the best Titanoboa on the market.

Am I the only one here interested in the dead Protoceratops though? Like it would certainly display nicely alongside the Beasts of the Mesozoic Velociraptor figures and Desert pack. I certainly need to get it eventually, if released. I am curious about how the color scheme will turn out too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

The Prehistoric Traveler

Quote from: Flaffy on April 24, 2020, 05:35:19 AM
Quote from: The Prehistoric Traveler on April 24, 2020, 05:21:37 AM
3 Will you say the same to a rattlesnake? Yes i know it's a constrictor and not a viper, but since there are actual snakes with that downright angry look i'm not to bothered with it. Helps it to make it look a bit different from an anaconda.
It's not the eyebrows itself that are the issue, it's the poor execution, along with it being haphazardly stapled onto a boid.
Even you understand that it's not a rattleshake, but a "constrictor". According to your logic, might as well give the Titanoboa fangs since some snakes had them, even if if it defeats the entire purpose of making a constrictor.

Not really. The eyebrows wouldn't be an essential part of it's anatomy. The fangs however would be. But you can dislike or hate whatever you want ofcourse. I hate plenty of models/figures or certain aspects of them. Would i have rather have had a titanoboa without the angry eyebrows? Yes. But it's not extremely bothersome to me. However, with all the criticism regarding this aspect one would expect REBOR to have removed  or modified them in the final product. Do they really think that people would have declined on buying this figure if it didn't have an angry look?

Loon

Flaffy

Quote from: The Prehistoric Traveler on April 24, 2020, 06:30:14 AM
Not really. The eyebrows wouldn't be an essential part of it's anatomy. The fangs however would be.

That's fair, but either way my point was, just because some snakes have certain features that look "natural" or "good" on them, does not mean they achieve the same effect when copy-pasted onto an entirely different animal.

So allow me give another example: Just because a rostrum looks natural on a leafnose snake, or that keeled scales look intimidating on a spiny bush viper, does not mean such features would be fitting for a boid.

Loon

Quote from: Flaffy on April 24, 2020, 05:00:46 AM
Part of me thinks it's just a generic crocodile. But, the shorter snout makes me think it might be Cerrejonisuchus, as it was found in the same rocks as Titanoboa and was once thought to be a good source.

Quote from: Faelrin on April 24, 2020, 05:55:34 AM
Am I the only one here interested in the dead Protoceratops though? Like it would certainly display nicely alongside the Beasts of the Mesozoic Velociraptor figures and Desert pack. I certainly need to get it eventually, if released. I am curious about how the color scheme will turn out too.
I'm interested in it, mostly because it's Protoceratops, of course. I've already got a very nice model of it in that scale by CollectA, and I know Rebor couldn't make a living one better than that. So, I like that it's something different. I don't care for their attitude, which is what I think is what's off-putting for some. As if they were doing us a favor by not making a Theropod for once.

suspsy

I could also do without those angry brows. No extant species of boa or python possesses such a feature, so it's unlikely Titanoboa did.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sarapaurolophus

Getting Kaa vibes from this, very nice. Call me a wuss but my reason not to get it is that poor prey. I'm just not the type for death scenes.
I guess I wouldn't be able to sell off the croc because of the unique position. Who would need two of these?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just don't use the croc. I have no plans to. My main goal is recreating this :

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on April 24, 2020, 03:27:47 PM
Getting Kaa vibes from this, very nice. Call me a wuss but my reason not to get it is that poor prey. I'm just not the type for death scenes.
I guess I wouldn't be able to sell off the croc because of the unique position. Who would need two of these?
I'd be interested in a second swimming crocodile actually. The issue is the potentiality that shipping costs as much as getting a whole second set could.

Faelrin

avatar_Loon @Loon Good points there. The wording was a bit disappointing, but I suppose it isn't surprising either since REBOR's biased towards making these types of things (though granted REBOR and CollectA are like the only two companies I'm aware of that have made dinosaur corpses). Granted I am curious if they will be doing their own take on a non JP Velociraptor eventually (and CollectA in that regard), since it would be pretty oddball for them to make a corpse on its own, and not have the predator responsible for the carnage available either.

For anyone interested in the Titanoboa, Everything Dinosaur is going to have a reserve list for this one, like they did for the Papo Spinosaurus:

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2020/04/24/everything-dinosaur-and-rebor-titanoboa.html?fbclid=IwAR1h56Jh6ZnGx9APkurEcfDfReMWgpDxVSjr4HITRvronSuVrorpCQ-DIiM

Edit: Price will be about £29.16 GBP and there is only one color variation available.

I'll be keeping my eye on BigBadToyStore too just in case it shows up there as well, like with their other products, but I already sent them an email asking to be on the reserve list for this one.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: