News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Bread on January 16, 2021, 12:37:52 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 16, 2021, 05:05:23 AM
Kinda wish the Knight was a bit more green, but that could be an alternate. This one feels like Gwangi more.
I would have preferred it to be a bit more green, too. Oh well... maybe there could be 2 paint variants?

I quite like these, but my worries are about the price. I may have to pass if this figure is $40+

30-ish

Bread

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 16, 2021, 05:20:11 PM
Quote from: Bread on January 16, 2021, 12:37:52 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 16, 2021, 05:05:23 AM
Kinda wish the Knight was a bit more green, but that could be an alternate. This one feels like Gwangi more.
I would have preferred it to be a bit more green, too. Oh well... maybe there could be 2 paint variants?

I quite like these, but my worries are about the price. I may have to pass if this figure is $40+

30-ish
Well that's some good news! Probably will be picking these up then.

Also thank you for the images avatar_Over9K @Over9K

Faelrin

I love this. Definitely eager to see the Sauron coloration on the other sculpt though.

Gotta catch up on the Alpha Gorilla Z within the coming months (so long as it stays in stock) hopefully since I had to cancel my preorder recently because I know I wouldn't be in the right state to pay for it. Kind of good timing on my part as it seems they started shipping soon after, but dang does it suck to have to do that in the first place.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

When will that retro theropod be available? I'm interested in buying it. Will it be available in sales this year?

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Over9K on January 16, 2021, 04:53:38 PM
Few more of the 'MesozoicRhapsody'...

Top Notch, gotta have this.... 30ish they... take my money I say!

Over9K

Not so much a fan of the 'Plain' colorway for the Rhapsody rex...

Bread

Quote from: Over9K on January 17, 2021, 10:58:10 AM
Not so much a fan of the 'Plain' colorway for the Rhapsody rex...
Thanks for the photos, and yeah that color way does not work for me. I wish this one had a green color scheme instead in order to compliment more of Knight's work.

I'll definitely be getting the purple one now that this variant has been shown, since I am not a fan of its color variant.

Shonisaurus

I really like the purple version of that "retro" theropod. But I would honestly buy the two versions of that "retro" theropod, they are both very beautiful. Rebor is going to ruin me in the future. I wish Rebor's theropod figures were one piece with no detachable tail.

I would like one-piece theropods like carnotaurus, its velociraptors, tyrannosaurus initiates, ceratosaurus, yutyrannusl, and acrocanthosaurus. In my case, I have no problem having Rebor's theropod figures in several pieces, it is with a removable tail since you hardly notice that they are different pieces and the positive is that they never separate from the body when they are on a shelf. , but perhaps because of my particular hobby as a collector I prefer theropods without removable parts.

On the other hand, I am pleased that Rebor has eliminated the removable bases, which are highly artistic by the way, but which of course made the product more expensive. Without a doubt, Rebor's theropod bases such as the ceratosaurus were and are for me some of the best toy dinosaur bases on the market.

Carnoking

I kinda like the albino vibe of that variant.

I also feel like the purple offering was meant to emulate Gwangi, but the sculpt looks more like the allosaurus from One Million Years B.C. than the one from The Valley of Gwangi, so I'm holding out for a paint scheme more akin to the former. They did three color schemes of the stegosaurus, ankylosaurus, and Gorilla, so we'll see how many come of these retrosaurus figures.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 17, 2021, 02:49:21 PM
I really like the purple version of that "retro" theropod. But I would honestly buy the two versions of that "retro" theropod, they are both very beautiful. Rebor is going to ruin me in the future. I wish Rebor's theropod figures were one piece with no detachable tail.

I would like one-piece theropods like carnotaurus, its velociraptors, tyrannosaurus initiates, ceratosaurus, yutyrannusl, and acrocanthosaurus. In my case, I have no problem having Rebor's theropod figures in several pieces, it is with a removable tail since you hardly notice that they are different pieces and the positive is that they never separate from the body when they are on a shelf. , but perhaps because of my particular hobby as a collector I prefer theropods without removable parts.

On the other hand, I am pleased that Rebor has eliminated the removable bases, which are highly artistic by the way, but which of course made the product more expensive. Without a doubt, Rebor's theropod bases such as the ceratosaurus were and are for me some of the best toy dinosaur bases on the market.

One-piece bodies with the tails permanently glued in=double sized packagings=quadruple total shipping costs and handling fees, you'll be spending £2-4(at least)more on each figure. Now Would you spend the money on more figures or would you rather hand it to FedEx/DHL/UPS/Royal Mail guys?  ;)

Shonisaurus

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 17, 2021, 03:29:15 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 17, 2021, 02:49:21 PM

One-piece bodies with the tails permanently glued in=double sized packagings=quadruple total shipping costs and handling fees, you'll be spending £2-4(at least)more on each figure. Now Would you spend the money on more figures or would you rather hand it to FedEx/DHL/UPS/Royal Mail guys?  ;)

avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO Honestly, with his wise and intelligent explanation, he makes me see that it is better that they continue making theropod dinosaurs or other prehistoric animals stegosaurus and ankylosaurus, to give two examples, with tails detached. Putting myself in that text I honestly prefer to spend less and have more figures of dinosaurs of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals of Rebor. Your sales criteria seem logically smarter. Rebor loves their customers that way, I am practical and honestly I would rather save money and buy more dinosaurs on this one from Rebor than give the money away to parcel shipping companies. It has opened my eyes. Thank you! I also want to save.  :)

Faelrin

avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO Are you doing a green/grey version like the Knight painting for Meozoic Rhapsody? Kind of what I was hoping for after the sculpt was revealed.

Edit: Looks like I had to just be a little patient, haha. This new Jungle one is right along the lines of what I was hoping for.

Also if you are doing paint variations of these, I hope this means the 80's rex is getting a Diablo variation in addition to the Sauron one. Diablo was one of my favorites from Primal Rage as a child, other then Talon.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Over9K

Quote from: Carnoking on January 17, 2021, 02:59:05 PM
I kinda like the albino vibe of that variant.

I also feel like the purple offering was meant to emulate Gwangi, but the sculpt looks more like the allosaurus from One Million Years B.C. than the one from The Valley of Gwangi, so I'm holding out for a paint scheme more akin to the former. They did three color schemes of the stegosaurus, ankylosaurus, and Gorilla, so we'll see how many come of these retrosaurus figures.

The sculpt emulates the Charles R. Knight Tyrannosaurus painting below.

stargatedalek

I'd buy one for sure if it was painted like the Knight painting, with the stripes on the tail and the patterning on the underside.

Blade-of-the-Moon

There is always a repaint option. Or go with Joe Laudati's replica.  I have it, just been pending paint.
http://www.joelaudati.com/copy-of-knight-t-rex-sale-page

Carnoking

Jungle variant. This is easily the closest to Knight's painting

Also, I know it's based on Knight's painting, but you can see a lot of influence from him in Harryhausen's designs.

stargatedalek

I wish it was a lot closer to the Knight painting in general. The weird scales around the eyes and the Jurassic Park rex eyebrows nearly ruin it for me. The torso is also completely off, this one has an oval rather than teardrop shaped torso and you can see the spine, ribs, hips and shoulder blades sticking through the skin. REBOR has also shrink-wrapped it, while the original has a relatively thin tail and lacks a fair bit of general bulk, it has really nice looking surface level soft tissues, no jutting bones or rippling arm muscles like the REBOR version does. And why is the tail looking like Godzilla light?

They got the oversized bird styled dew claws, the iguana face scutes/dewlap, and the lips. But the underlying frame of of the sculpt is clearly based on tropes from far more recent (80's and 90's) depictions.

Bread

I'll probably purchase the purple one, since to me it replicates more of Knight's work in my opinion. The lighter green, almost lime, bothers me since I don't like light colors on therapods. As avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek mentioned, what's with the spikes on the tail?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 18, 2021, 05:09:23 PM
I wish it was a lot closer to the Knight painting in general. The weird scales around the eyes and the Jurassic Park rex eyebrows nearly ruin it for me. The torso is also completely off, this one has an oval rather than teardrop shaped torso and you can see the spine, ribs, hips and shoulder blades sticking through the skin. REBOR has also shrink-wrapped it, while the original has a relatively thin tail and lacks a fair bit of general bulk, it has really nice looking surface level soft tissues, no jutting bones or rippling arm muscles like the REBOR version does. And why is the tail looking like Godzilla light?

They got the oversized bird styled dew claws, the iguana face scutes/dewlap, and the lips. But the underlying frame of of the sculpt is clearly based on tropes from far more recent (80's and 90's) depictions.

The body is intended to be used for the other version which is a later 80s/90's version so that's why it looks the way it does, a cost saving feature.   I get what you mean, if you want one that really looks like Knight's work then go with Joe's sculpt.  It has a lot more reptilian features and bulk that this does not.

The tail I'm guessing is just a bit of artistic flair and it doesn't detract much as reptiles do have similar things. Knights painting wouldn't show those given the size and it seems like something Harryhausen would have added. 

Looking at the definition of "Rhapsody" seems to sum up the point of the thing.

QuoteRhapsody
Composition type
A rhapsody in music is a one-movement work that is episodic yet integrated, free-flowing in structure, featuring a range of highly contrasted moods, colour, and tonality. An air of spontaneous inspiration and a sense of improvisation make it freer in form than a set of variations.

Personally I'll probably get both the Knight and Gwangi color schemes as they aren't that expensive and I just like retrosaurs.

triceratops83

The two with the lighter colours don't work as well, but they look like a coat of drybrushing a darker shade could be done easily and effectively over the top.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: