News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Points for giving Deinosuchus it's weird snout and not making it a big alligator!

Points lost for the JP rex eyes.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Over9K on February 18, 2022, 08:46:28 PM
REBOR teasing on Facebook...

"Name the species."

Somebody guessed Appalachiosaurus and they replied "Nice!" so I assume it is that. I made a thread for it like my one for the Kiss rex
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

KrazyKaprosuchus

I know it's such a small feature but, the addition of claws on the digits that shouldn't have them always irks me. Other than that, pretty exciting stuff.

Flaffy

Quote from: KrazyKaprosuchus on February 18, 2022, 11:06:57 PM
I know it's such a small feature but, the addition of claws on the digits that shouldn't have them always irks me. Other than that, pretty exciting stuff.
Same here. Not sure why Rebor didn't go and fix the digits considering it's still in early production stage. And especially since the issue has been brought to their attention months ago already. It does look like they improved the teeth sculpt, especially those signature "fangs" on the lower jaw. Overall sculpt is nice though, surprised to see infamous giant crocodilians such as Deinosuchus get ignored by companies for so many years.

I want to be excited for a potential Appalachiosaurus, but considering how long they've left us hanging for a live Tenontosaurus... I'm not going to hold my breath for a living version of the Tyrannosaur either. But hey, at least the USL will have a new addition (or 1/2 of one ;D)

I wonder if the head detail is closer to their updated American Alligator sculpt, or their previous iteration with Rebor-syndrome overdone scales.

vs

suspsy

Really lame how Rebor still hasn't corrected the osteoderms on the Deinosuchus. Especially given that they're one of its most diagnostic features. There's been multiple papers and articles describing them.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

I would love a living Appalachiosaurus. 

But yeah, I have a slew past Rebor product I'm still waiting on. Primal Rage Rexes, JP Pteranodons, Evolution Raptor statue, ect..

KrazyKaprosuchus

Yeah the more I look at it, the more inaccuracies I see, especially with the osteoderms. I really hope they fix those before release.

Although that Appalachiosaurus, if it were to become a full figure, would probably be an instant buy from me.

The Prehistoric Traveler

Great looking figure, perhaps it is not to late to fix some inaccuracies. So better contact them about it on Facebook.

Shonisaurus

Honestly it's a great deinosuchus even better than its Safari/Carnegie and Schleich counterparts that were made at the time. On the other hand, an appalachiosaurus, although inaccurate from a scientific point of view, would be welcome in my collection. I am glad that Rebor makes new figures in the toy dinosaur market or in the case of deinosuchus little treated or not sufficiently treated from my point of view.

Faelrin

New bases shared over on their socials. Guessing these will be for the T. rex pair? Glad to see more bases coming from them because they've always made awesome bases.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Thialfi

Look who we have here, is that King Trident?

And that deinosuchus looks pretty damn good as well.

Carnoking

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day...

Faelrin

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking Right? I also feel that way towards the Deinosuchus. Been wanting those forever now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

It makes sense though when you consider the upcoming Kiss/Tusk release. Triceratops and T. rex just go together.

Shadowknight1

I find it somewhat amusing that PNSO, which has many, many highly accurate dinosaur models, put out a bunch of ceratopsians with articulated jaws that remove the cheeks, but REBOR works the cheeks INTO the articulated jaw.  Not PERFECTLY, but well enough.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Leyster

avatar_Shadowknight1 @Shadowknight1 The problem is that the ornithischian cheek thing is a lot more complex than we're used to think. I leave you with the words of Ali Nabavizadeh, which is for sure more informed than both of us on the matter. Also keep in mind that David Silva did ceratopsians with cheecks which work flawlessy and that Eofauna's Triceratops, which is not articulated, is cheeckless. So no, PNSO didn't "remove" them, and PNSOs aren't less accurate in any way for lacking cheecks.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Flaffy

Sarcosuchus. Not sure how I feel about the details on the bulla (snout), feels overtextured like their old American Alligator facial sculpt. Maybe a "cracked-skin" look would be more appropriate? As opposed to individual scales. Interesting to note that the fleshy nasal pad/disk is often raised & slightly convex in extant crocodilians. So maybe the Rebor Sarcosuchus could also do something similar, like how the museum model below handled it. avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO

Also, I prefer how Rebor handled the nostrils on this sculpt compared to the Safari one, which has permanently gaping nostrils. The fleshy nasal disk on the Rebor sculpt makes more sense to me as it would prevent water entry, a condition seen in all extant crocodilians iirc.

The teeth on the tip of the snout could use some editing too. In size (too small?) and shape. I can't tell from the images posted by Rebor, so I can't judge the teeth count on the snout. But iirc Sarcosuchus had a total of 8 teeth on the snout, 4 for each side. The smallest tooth is the 4th tooth (lying on the side of the bulbous snout), the largest would be the 3rd, with tooth size decreasing respectively from the 3rd tooth to the 1st. It would be smart to double check the tooth count and placement of the tip of the maxilla too, it's quite distinctive with two larger ones packed close to each other on both edges.

Very glad they went back and changed up the dorsal integument though. Sarcosuchus back plates noticeably differed in morphology from Gharial ones, and copy-pasting extant gharial scutes on an entirely separate lineage of crocodylomorph was certainly not the way to go. Inspiration and referencing modern animals is fine of course, but defining traits should not be compromised in the process.

Shonisaurus

That sarcosuchus looks magnificent it is the best of its kind on the toy collecting market judging by the first photos of the prototype project. I'm glad that Rebor not only does the deinosuchus but also does the sarcosuchus. Rebor products are worth spending money on.

Shane

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 26, 2022, 04:12:36 PM
I find it somewhat amusing that PNSO, which has many, many highly accurate dinosaur models, put out a bunch of ceratopsians with articulated jaws that remove the cheeks, but REBOR works the cheeks INTO the articulated jaw.  Not PERFECTLY, but well enough.

I dunno, with how the cheeks look on King Trident, it looks like he can barely fit anything in his mouth. It looks really awkward having the cheeks go right up to the beak like that.

Flaffy

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 26, 2022, 04:12:36 PM

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: