News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joossa

I agree with the following comments:
Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 02, 2015, 06:22:30 PM
These days, if I receive a figure that is so badly warped that it can't stand by itself, then I would want a refund or replacement. It is advertised as being able to stand in the stock photos, so mine should be able to stand. Otherwise it is false advertisement. Little things like slightly warped arms or legs are okay, but figures that cannot stand are a no for me.

Quote from: Dobber on May 02, 2015, 07:58:27 PM
To help, possible solutions to help prevent this in the future would be:
1) as Takama said, include removable pins in both feat that could peg into the base, as the Utahraptor does (with 1 leg)
2) when packing the models include either a plastic "tray" both feet could snap into to help them keep their position or even just use an inexpensive cardboard shim that could go between the legs to keep them from warping.

Quote from: Simon on May 03, 2015, 01:53:31 AM
As an aside, you might want to hire someone to do a serious re-assessment of your business plan, because you DO have to turn a profit in order to remain viable in the long run.  Even if that means slowing down your production schedule or re-assessing your pricing.

I just want to say, I'm impressed by the major change and maturity displayed by our members. Such a good difference than the last rounds of discussions with Rebor.

Rebor, I would say this... The overall quality of your products is fantastic. It sounds like you guys have a great line up coming up. While it's understandable that you are new to this, you are still delivering product to paying customers at the end of day. No matter if you are eating the cost, people, like me, are still paying their hard earned money for your product. Learn from your mistakes and don't let them happen again. I purchased the Ceratosaurus and was so let down with the leg issue and honestly, reading you say that we should use the "30 second fix" made me more angry and frustrated since we as customers should not have to be told to fix such a defect in the product. That's not right. The product should not come with defects to begin with.

Regardless, your stuff is great and your company has great potential. You posting here is great as long as you're willing to take suggestions and learn. Many great ones have been made already in the previous posts. Learn and prevent these issues in the future. Despite my Ceratosaurus' issue, I am willing to give you another chance, especially with your Acrocanthosaurus and your Carnotaurus.

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Shadowknight1

No joosa, products shouldn't come with defects, but the plain simple fact is that they do.  My Papo running rex can't stand on his own anymore.  My first Allosaurus would fall over if you looked at him funny.  And then bought two, TWO!!! Favorite Spinosaurs and BOTH of them couldn't stand on either their own feet or their bases.  Was I upset?  Yes, but not for long.  There's nothing I could do about it.  The Papo figures are a product of both shipping and design, especially in running rex's case.  The Spinos are just poorly designed and manufactured and I can't help but laugh any time I see one of their products touted among the best.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

ddidiodion

Quote from: joossa on May 03, 2015, 07:19:04 AMreading you say that we should use the "30 second fix" made me more angry and frustrated since we as customers should not have to be told to fix such a defect in the product. That's not right. The product should not come with defects to begin with.

They were clearly trying to help by posting the fix video, would you rather they just ignore it? The fault exists and that's a fact, that you'd be angry someone would try to help you in this situation is frankly a bit silly. 

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ddidiodion on May 03, 2015, 04:29:51 PM
Quote from: joossa on May 03, 2015, 07:19:04 AMreading you say that we should use the "30 second fix" made me more angry and frustrated since we as customers should not have to be told to fix such a defect in the product. That's not right. The product should not come with defects to begin with.

They were clearly trying to help by posting the fix video, would you rather they just ignore it? The fault exists and that's a fact, that you'd be angry someone would try to help you in this situation is frankly a bit silly.

Don't call members silly (directly or indirectly). This is a personal attack in breach of forum rule 1. Thanks C:-)

In any case, Joossa's reaction to the situation is completely understandable in my opinion. The cause for frustration is the deflection of responsibility, not the suggested (and ineffective) fix itself. I thought that was obvious.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 03, 2015, 05:21:11 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on May 03, 2015, 05:07:15 AM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 03, 2015, 04:50:53 AM
Excuse me, what?  I have ONE Acro on my shelf that's any good.  The only other one I might consider getting is the Battat.  The Carnegie is horrible.  Those are the only Acro figurines that I can think of off the top off my head that aren't small Japanese figures.
Just out of curiosity, which is the one you regard as good, the Wild Safari or the CollectA deluxe? The Carnegie is pretty bad, though.
The Wild Safari.  The CollectA isn't out and I have 0 plans on purchasing it due to inaccuracies.  REBOR's model is superior.  Even if it falls flat on its face with a slight breeze, it'd be superior to CollectA's humpbacked Carcharodontid.
I also recognize that of the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus Rebor exceeds that of Collecta, but I honestly like to collect all makes, of course and I'm not recommend Schleich collector because the dinosaurs are logically intended for children, unless the kentrosaurus and between quotes the pentaceratops unfortunately give a lot to be desired.

Moreover what makes me Rebor grace to keep us in suspense about the figure of Acrocanthosaurus and do not show their paint schemes, is to me a promising company.

I would like Rebor was encouraged been making prehistoric mammals, or animals of the Silurian to Permian inclusive, but obviously they know more than anyone else I am nobody and nothing to impose my ideas, but it would be interesting to Uintatherium, Paraceratherium or cave bear to put some examples.

joossa

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 03, 2015, 08:29:17 AM
No joosa, products shouldn't come with defects, but the plain simple fact is that they do.  My Papo running rex can't stand on his own anymore.  My first Allosaurus would fall over if you looked at him funny.  And then bought two, TWO!!! Favorite Spinosaurs and BOTH of them couldn't stand on either their own feet or their bases.  Was I upset?  Yes, but not for long.  There's nothing I could do about it.  The Papo figures are a product of both shipping and design, especially in running rex's case.  The Spinos are just poorly designed and manufactured and I can't help but laugh any time I see one of their products touted among the best.
I understand that. I guess my premise here is that it's even more frustrating to deal with defects of figures that are 2 or more times expensive than a Papo figure and the like. If my Papo Running Rex or Papo Allo came with a standing defect or could not stand a little while after I received them, I could spend another $25 or so dollars down the line to find a replacement, which isn't as hard on the bank account than say, another $40+ for a Rebor replacement.
It might premature of me to say this, so take it with a grain of salt. Scouting FB, YouTube, this site, and considering Rebor's comments, it seems that the Ceratosaurus' leg issue may turn out to be a pretty consistent issue... Something not necessarily found in the Papo Running Rex and Allo.

I'm not discrediting the merits of Rebor trying to do some damage control or angry/frustrated that they are trying to help.
Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 03, 2015, 05:25:29 PM
The cause for frustration is the deflection of responsibility, not the suggested (and ineffective) fix itself. I thought that was obvious.
Yup, that's right.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

ddidiodion

Don't call members silly (directly or indirectly). This is a personal attack in breach of forum rule 1. Thanks C:-)

In any case, Joossa's reaction to the situation is completely understandable in my opinion. The cause for frustration is the deflection of responsibility, not the suggested (and ineffective) fix itself. I thought that was obvious.

I didn't say anything about the root cause of his frustration, I said him becoming more frustrated with them offering advice to fix the problem was silly. What other option did they have once the fault has been identified? Would he rather they try not to offer advice and just not engage? Warping in figures during shipping isn't something completely unknown, having a bash with a hairdryer before you send it back is always worth a shot, anyone who collects figures knows that. It was hardly an outrageous suggestion was it? And I say that as someone who is going to have to return theirs because it won't stand correctly, even after spending most of yesterday trying to get it to stand for more than a few hours.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ddidiodion on May 03, 2015, 09:04:14 PM

...I said him becoming more frustrated with them offering advice to fix the problem was silly.

And I said that's a personal attack in breach of forum rule 1. I gave you fair warning.

I've therefore banned ddidiodion for 30 days for breaking forum rules 1 (personal attack) and 4 (respect moderator requests).

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 03, 2015, 05:15:55 AM
There are only a handful of Acro models, and REBOR's version appears to be the best, hands down.
I don't agree with the bolded part.  I find the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus's eye crests and raised area between the eyes highly unlikely and unconvincing.  Note that these features are much higher than the crests it has that ARE supported by underlying bone (the snout crests).  These things on the Rebor Acro change the distinctive shape of Acrocanthosaurus's skull to a shape I don't prefer.  I find the Rebor Acro's skin/scales equally unlikely, unconvincing and unappealing.  Dinoguy2 explained why very well in posts he made on page 26 of this thread.  The caudofemoralis is also far too small on the Rebor Acro.  I don't know much about Acrocanthosaurus models that wouldn't normally be considered 'toys' (e.g. resin models) but out of toy Acrocanthosauruses, I find both the Wild Safari and the Battat ones better than the Rebor figure.  That's my opinion though.  None of these figures are completely superior to the others, so I think which someone thinks is the best will depend on what they prefer.

I actually quite like the Rebor Ceratosaurus.  It looks better in photos Joosa posted than in the pre-release pictures.  Especially its eyes, which looked evil in the pre-release pictures but look very nice on the final product.  I noticed they gave it crests/horns over the eyes but at least they aren't higher than the bone-supported horns Ceratosaurus is known to have.  What really puts me off it though is the scales, in particular the ones on its back, and the ones on its underside which are very lumpy - this is very noticeable over the pubis and ischium (the areas that project out in between its legs).

Shadowknight1

Sim, the raised area in between and behind the brow corresponds to a raised area on the back of the skull.  I believe I mentioned this earlier when a picture of the skeleton was posted.  Whether the flesh covering that area would be that prominent is subject to interpretation.

Also, I know it's a minor quibble, but both of the models you mentioned lack the enlarged thumb claw.  REBOR's doesn't.  But hey, at least all three of them got the high spine, which is the defining trait of Acrocanthosaurus, correct unlike CollectA.

tanystropheus

Sorry for the confusion. It's actually too early for me to give a solid assessment on the REBOR Acro especially since they released b&w pictures and have yet to reveal the details of the base. I definitely feel that it is progressing in a positive direction and has the potential to be the 'best' (or to be clear, 'balanced') representation of Acro, in terms of aesthetics, accuracy and overall presentation/production values. I am aware of the accuracy issues and I don't think it is a huge deal, especially when we take into account the state of skeletal restorations available. I have the WS Acro.  The colors on the WS are nice, and it appears quite impressive from one of its side profile. However, from another angle it seems rather stocky, especially with respect to the model size (perhaps, an optical illusion?). Overall, it is a great model, but I was hoping for something that is a bit more detailed or in a deluxe size (comparable to T-rex). The CollectA version has a pleasant color scheme but the proportions are somewhat exaggerated. I completely overlooked the Battat version.

Dobber

Quote from: ddidiodion on May 03, 2015, 09:04:14 PM

I didn't say anything about the root cause of his frustration, I said him becoming more frustrated with them offering advice to fix the problem was silly. What other option did they have once the fault has been identified? Would he rather they try not to offer advice and just not engage? Warping in figures during shipping isn't something completely unknown, having a bash with a hairdryer before you send it back is always worth a shot, anyone who collects figures knows that. It was hardly an outrageous suggestion was it? And I say that as someone who is going to have to return theirs because it won't stand correctly, even after spending most of yesterday trying to get it to stand for more than a few hours.

Nothing wrong with them making the suggestion...but saying it is a perminent fix was inaccurate as I had already made the suggestion, as did someone else on the previous page. I then reported that it didn't work as you found out yourself. It doesn't seem like you, or REBOR for that matter, bothered reading previous posts at all.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Sim

Hi Shadowknight1, I remember you mentioning all those things.  Comparing the Rebor Acro's head to an Acrocanthosaurus skull shows that to achieve the raised area on the top of the Rebor Acro's head (as well as the eye crests) requires A LOT of non-bone.  I think this is highly unlikely for a real Acrocanthosaurus.  I'm not saying it's impossible.  I just find it unconvincing.  Regarding the thumb claw, I remember you pointing that out.  When I said, "None of these figures are completely superior to the others" that's one of the things I had in mind which the Rebor figure does best in. ;)

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 03, 2015, 10:44:58 PM
Sorry for the confusion. It's actually too early for me to give a solid assessment on the REBOR Acro especially since they released b&w pictures and have yet to reveal the details of the base. I definitely feel that it is progressing in a positive direction and has the potential to be the best (or to be clear, balanced) representation of Acro, in terms of aesthetics, accuracy and overall presentation/production values. I am aware of the accuracy issues and I don't think it is a huge deal, especially when we take into account the state of skeletal restorations available. I have the WS Acro.  The colors on the WS are nice, and it appears quite impressive from one of its side profile. However, from another angle it appears rather stocky, especially with respect to the model size (perhaps, an optical illusion?). Overall, it is a great model, but I was hoping for something that is a bit more detailed or in a deluxe size (comparable to T-rex). The CollectA version has a pleasant color scheme but the proportions seem somewhat exaggerated. I completely overlooked the Battat version.
With regards to the bolded part, that would be an opinion.  One that I don't agree with.  As I said, "None of these figures are completely superior to the others, so I think which someone thinks is the best will depend on what they prefer."  That's what I think.  I'm not seeing why there should be an objectively best one when different people can like different things.  Doesn't that mean which is the best is subjective and not objective?

I have the WS Acro too, it's a nice figure.  I also find it can look impressive but also a bit stocky.  I think the stocky appearance is due to its oversized feet.  I can't say I'm fond of the CollectA Acro's colour scheme.  What I dislike most about that one though is the extremely wide hips!  When it was looking straight ahead in the video that was recently posted, it made me think of an ankylosaur!

suspsy

Quote from: John on April 29, 2015, 05:57:46 PM
I thank you and suspy for the kind words! ;D

Glad you're back. :)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

TJ_Terrorsaur

...random bit of Rebor related stuff. Am I the only who would love to see them make their Magnificent? ^^;
Also does anyone else 'name' their Rebor figures?

Arul

Well the good news is rebor is back, welcome back rebor :D

TJ_Terrorsaur

Venah (Windhunter) and Bruniik (Savage) are both still standing and looking great. :D I can't get enough of the newest dino's in my collection. Lookin' forward to that Acro Rebor. :D

Simon

Pins and a clear support rod for the one-foot-in-the-air figures (Utahraptor) would solve all of these problems.

Inserting a pin into the feet and base of one of these figures is not terribly difficult to do for an experienced modeler, but I realize that most folks who buy these do not dare - or want to - drill holes into the pieces they just bought.

Hopefully this company sticks it out and implements these easy fixes on future offerings.

Aesthetically their sculpts are very well done, and now the accuracy is catching up ... if I was still collecting figures I would definitely get the Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus based on what I've seen ...

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Simon on May 04, 2015, 02:09:12 AM
Pins and a clear support rod for the one-foot-in-the-air figures (Utahraptor) would solve all of these problems.

Inserting a pin into the feet and base of one of these figures is not terribly difficult to do for an experienced modeler, but I realize that most folks who buy these do not dare - or want to - drill holes into the pieces they just bought.

Hopefully this company sticks it out and implements these easy fixes on future offerings.

Aesthetically their sculpts are very well done, and now the accuracy is catching up ... if I was still collecting figures I would definitely get the Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus based on what I've seen ...

Well it's only been the two most recent ones that seem to have had trouble, and even then Windhunter (mine at least) is fine. As for the Ceratosaurus well I did get mine to stand, not without his base and not with his paws(?)/feet in the mudprints. He's standing at an angle from them.
As for the pegs thing, unless Rebor set it up that way themselves then, yeah I don't think I'd be brave enough to try myself, unless I used a clear rod for the dinosaur to lean on. But then again even if Rebor did make some with pegs, there still wouldn't be a guarantee that they'd fit perfectly with their bases. Several of my McFarlane Dragon's were that way. No amount of fussing with them ever got them to fit on their bases correctly.

At any rate maybe this is just because of the Ceratosaurus' stride and the ankle warping? He still looks great and I'm sure people can get him to stand with a bit of coaxing?  :)

Shadowknight1

Quote from: ARUL on May 04, 2015, 01:02:22 AM
Well the good news is rebor is back, welcome back rebor :D
I hope they stay.  I'm a little worried considering some of their comments.  Hopefully they see they have plenty of fans who want their products.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: