News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Even if they hatched bald it wouldn't explain the pronated wrists or incorrect skulls.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Megalosaurus on May 22, 2015, 07:42:15 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on May 22, 2015, 06:22:39 PM
Quote from: Megalosaurus on May 22, 2015, 04:52:58 PM
I think we have to quit using the "awesomebro" adjetive. I has been used quite agressively by some forum members, and its not enough descriptive of REBOR pieces.

Actually, REBOR used the 'awesomebro' adjective to describe their Velociraptor hatchlings/triplet maquette in their FB page!
According to REBOR:

[...]awesomebro style, haters gonna hate wink emoticon [...]

A clear reference to their experiences in this forum.   :o

That will be exciting. Their 2nd non-theropod.

It would be very interesting if REBOR's adult Triceratops retains the lavender color of the "Jolly" counterpart. I've never seen a Tri released in that color and it would look very unique (possibly, exotic). Of course, the adult Tri should have a matte finish as it didn't recently hatch or anything.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 23, 2015, 12:09:37 AM
Even if they hatched bald it wouldn't explain the pronated wrists or incorrect skulls.

That's definitely correct. At least it will arrive in time to benefit from Jurassic World's momentum  :)

Could hatchling dinosaurs pronate their wrists or move about flexibly (especially since they are curled up like that in an egg)? I know that human babies tend to have more malleable, (somewhat) porous bones. I'm not rationalizing their decision...I'm just curious.

stargatedalek

Its possible, I know psittacosaurus wrists go through a similar transformation as it ages.

Shadowknight1

Wow, they're making us wait til AUGUST for Herc?  Ughhhh, gonna be a loooooong summer.  Was kinda hoping for him to be OUT by August/September.

3 raptors?  Interesting!  Kinda wish the eyes weren't bugging out a little, but that's how it is for newborn chicks.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Takama

Heres what i have to say about it (Copied from the Facebook Page)

QuoteWrong head shape? fine, Lack of Feathers? FINE. Pronated Wrists? WTF is wrong with you guys? The pour things gonna cry in agony from his broken wrists tongue emoticon. As long you don't claim this as an Educational piece it would be a great addition to the world of Dinosaur models.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on May 23, 2015, 12:57:06 AM
Heres what i have to say about it (Copied from the Facebook Page)

QuoteWrong head shape? fine, Lack of Feathers? FINE. Pronated Wrists? WTF is wrong with you guys? The pour things gonna cry in agony from his broken wrists tongue emoticon. As long you don't claim this as an Educational piece it would be a great addition to the world of Dinosaur models.

Good one. It would have been nice if you were a bit more diplomatic about it  :P
REBOR was actually pretty transparent about this model.
If you don't like JP models, then don't buy the Velociraptor hatchling maquette. Why do you thing the model is being released to coincide with Jurassic World ? Plus, it's not even a part of their core line (the hatchlings are from the Club selection line and are limited in quantity).

tyrantqueen

I like the Kenner raptor hatchling a lot more.

Shouldn't the eggs be chicken shaped instead of lozenge shaped? But then again if this is supposed to be JP inspired I guess accuracy isn't a high priority. But the JP films did feature chicken eggs for the raptors.

Just wondering. Amargasaurus, you seem to be well informed about dinosaur eggs so do you have any comments on this?

Shadowknight1

Well tyrantqueen, the Kenner raptor hatchling was a toy and could be removed from the egg.  I find it amusing that those hatchlings had a lot of personality for something that couldn't move.  I miss my raptor and rex.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

amargasaurus cazaui

I will not comment regarding the chicks themselves, I do not know enough about raptors to say much myself. I can speak to the egg question somewhat however and will do so. In my opinion the eggs and their shape are actually likely fairly well considered. I made notice they even provided texturing to the outer shell . Based solely on the eggs, their shape and ornamentation I would purchase the replica....
   In my experience the shape of theropod eggs is generally elongated.
In these pictures you can see first a pair of eggs I own. The second picture demonstrates a Citipatti egg against various other suposed oviraptorid eggs. The final picture is a natural nest as found .

Make note in this picture the larger egg measures a whopping 7 1/4 inches long !

In this image the first egg is a confirmed citipatti egg with chick inside, visible through the various openings of the egg.

It is generally assumed this is an oviraptorid nest, and would have been made in this way. The egg layer would clear a circular pit type area on the ground, and starting at say 12 on the clock face she would depost two eggs. It is accepted her cloaca would have dual openings allowing her to place two eggs side by side in one lay. She would then rotate her backside some degree to lets say three on the clock face and depost another two eggs. This would continue until she was again at 12 setting at which point she would then lay further eggs if necessary in the openings. It is likely she may lay eggs for a period of a few weeks, each time laying the newer eggs atop the older in the openings left from previous passes.
         I purchased my two eggs on the assumption I was getting an oviraptor and a citipatti egg. IN speaking with Ken Carpenter he confirmed the shape is indicative of a theropod but type uncertain. He made it quite clear these two eggs could be oviraptor, troodon, tyrannosaurid, or basically any other type of theropod ...and I would assume that includes velociraptors. Indeed when you think about it, just how much difference do you suppose there might be between an oviraptor egg and a velociraptor egg? So for my money the eggs are right...and look actually rather well done to me.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

joossa

I hope they stick something in between the legs of the Acro to prevent the issue of the Cerato from happening again.
I don't care much for the raptor hatchlings since I normally wouldn't collect items like that.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

tyrantqueen

QuoteI purchased my two eggs on the assumption I was getting an oviraptor and a citipatti egg. IN speaking with Ken Carpenter he confirmed the shape is indicative of a theropod but type uncertain. He made it quite clear these two eggs could be oviraptor, troodon, tyrannosaurid, or basically any other type of theropod ...and I would assume that includes velociraptors. Indeed when you think about it, just how much difference do you suppose there might be between an oviraptor egg and a velociraptor egg? So for my money the eggs are right...and look actually rather well done to me.
Oh, I'm glad to be wrong about that then :)

Thanks for answering my question also.

Arul

On fb rebor said stock, lock, barrel color will revealed next week. We will see another beautiful art in world of dinosaur models  :) very excited

Megalosaurus

Thank you amargasaurus cazaui. Very informative post.

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: ARUL on May 22, 2015, 11:57:59 PM
Its still baby, and it just hacth. The feather will grow in more couples days just like modern bird. Btw quetzalcoatlus that will be a great diorama, i mean a pair of quetz  :D  :P
How did you hear this great news?
Then I deduce that the couple quetzalcoatlus diorama will be based on a hunting scene. As they suppose they were scavengers or hunters pups small dinosaurs, speculations are served.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Megalosaurus on May 23, 2015, 04:16:47 PM
Thank you amargasaurus cazaui. Very informative post.
You are quite welcome...I try to avoid some of the is , is not type discussions that accompany the Rebor material often, however since TQ asked and I consider her a friend.....and even then, I offered what I can see, there is always a chance more evidence will present and change it all.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

I don't care for those baby raptors at all. And I can't describe how happy I would be if toy companies stopped using the JP franchise as their inspiration.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

Quote from: suspsy on May 23, 2015, 09:45:33 PM
I don't care for those baby raptors at all. And I can't describe how happy I would be if toy companies stopped using the JP franchise as their inspiration.

Another reason why Jurassic World is bad for the public

tanystropheus

JP films, for better or for worse have inspired a number of youths to take up interest in paleontology in the first place (with Alan Grant envisioned as the paleontologist-archetype).

While I certainly believe that it was a missed opportunity to not include feathered dinosaurs in JW, let's not further derail this thread into a 'whether or not JP is good for the public' as two sides of the argument could easily be generated.

Derek.McManus

Possibly the 'public' not in touch with all the recent discoverys prefer their dinosaurs scaley and swamp bound a la Kong 1933.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: