News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Ratings are supposed to be of the actual figure, not the quality of the review.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 18, 2015, 05:17:31 PM
Why not take the criticism that the blog offers into consideration instead of complaining about the "unfair" system? I think most of the reviews written on there are actually quite balanced and consider both good and bad points that a model may have to offer.

The rating system may benefit from a sub panel (similar to online customer satisfaction surveys). The actual review gives the impression that the product is somewhere around 87-95% in overall score, but stars give the impression that the product is rated 50%. There is nothing wrong with the review, but there is a disconnect between the stars system and the underlying review text.

tanystropheus

Quote from: DinoLord on June 18, 2015, 07:54:23 PM
Ratings are supposed to be of the actual figure, not the quality of the review.

Oh no! I've been giving out so many high scores to the reviews, despite whether I actually like the toy or model  :-[

suspsy

I always took it as a given that the rating system is meant to reflect people's opinion of the toy, not the reviewer's writing ability.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on June 18, 2015, 08:28:08 PM
I always took it as a given that the rating system is meant to reflect people's opinion of the toy, not the reviewer's writing ability.

Not the writing ability, but whether the reviewer gave an informative review with a reasonable breakdown of all the pros and cons. I liked most of the reviews that I've read and I was giving out a lot of "5" stars with a few "4" stars here and there.  I feel a bit silly now and I have to wonder if anyone else did the same, lol.

tyrantqueen

QuoteI feel a bit silly now and I have to wonder if anyone else did the same, lol.
I didn't, but I think it is possible that people could get confused. Maybe it needs to clarified on the blog in future.

CityRaptor

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 18, 2015, 05:29:14 PM
The reviews are more than prefect, however we cannot agree with those who voted 1 star simply because them don't like us, our efforts put into these models should deserve better than that. Everybody has the right to vote including those who love our creations. :)

Well, it is not fair that the new Carnegie Velociraptor only has 3.5 stars while the Schleich abomination has 3 stars. 

It is however also not fair to sic your fans at the blog.  I expect upvotes galore for your products and downvotes galore for everyone else, regardless of which one is better.

Hmm, looking at the rude comments of your fans, someone clearly shoudl check the blog.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Tumtist on June 18, 2015, 01:53:35 PM
Quote from: ARUL on June 18, 2015, 12:19:15 PM
Quote from: TJ_Terrorsaur on June 18, 2015, 03:49:59 AM
I'm already so very excited for everything and now there are basically two more reveals of up coming Rebor merch. I feel like it's already the holidays! I'm hoping this mosasaur will be a figure with a moveable jaw and a gorgeous base. I'm excited for the fossil but I would love a figure too. The mosasaur is one of my favorite prehistoric animals. :D

Yes they said 50cm for the shark eater. If they made a base for it i hope it set vertically just like sideshow hehehe

That would be awesome!!

OMG Yes it would be so cool! Rebor please oh please oh please do that! :D

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 18, 2015, 06:02:17 PM
I think it's reasonable to suppose that at least some of those votes are spite votes, because of some ill will toward Rebor. Which is crappy, don't get me wrong. But Rebor's gotta be more gracious than to gripe about it. As Tallin said (forgive my paraphrasing), they're making it hard to like them.
If there are "spite votes" I wouldn't have thought there would be enough to affect the final rating.  For what it's worth, I think if lots of people gave low votes on the Rebor figure reviews because of how they feel about Rebor, then Rebor would probably benefit from seriously thinking about why people feel as they do about them.

Quote from: Sim on May 28, 2015, 12:03:17 PM
Quote from: Libraraptor on May 27, 2015, 09:02:45 PM
Quote from: ARUL on May 27, 2015, 03:39:58 PM
What review which the most votes in dinotoyblog history ?

Is it Papo Allosaurus with its 78 votes?! (plus 18 for the short review)
The Rebor Tyrannosaurus currently has 196 votes.  I don't know if there's another review with more votes..

Edit: The 2014 Carnegie Tyrannosaurus currently has 198 votes!
This was from another thread at the end of May.  The Rebor Tyrannosaurus now has 225 votes, surpassing the 2014 Carnegie Tyrannosaurus which has 200 votes, thus making it the Dino Toy Blog post with the most votes as far as I've seen.  Just as I was about to post this, the Rebor T. rex review got a 226th vote which raised it from 2 stars to 2.5 stars.

tanystropheus

The Papo T-rex has double the rating, even though it is at least half the quality [with respect to production values and accuracy of body (not head)].

Is this response related to price of the figure or is this a passive-aggressive form of 'boycotting' products?

CityRaptor

I think it is a mix of several factors.
Oh no

tanystropheus

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 18, 2015, 09:05:30 PM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 18, 2015, 05:29:14 PM
The reviews are more than prefect, however we cannot agree with those who voted 1 star simply because them don't like us, our efforts put into these models should deserve better than that. Everybody has the right to vote including those who love our creations. :)

It is however also not fair to sic your fans at the blog.  I expect upvotes galore for your products and downvotes galore for everyone else, regardless of which one is better.

This is a common practice in the gaming and entertainment industry. Downvoting and up voting.

The critically acclaimed DmC: Devil May Cry sits at 86% on Metacritic, but "fans" have given this superior product (and one of the very best DMC games ever made )an abysmal 50% rating. What is the rationale behind the low user rating? Believe it or not, the vast majority of Devil May Cry fans have expressed frustration and disdain for the game when the developers changed the protagonists hair from white to black. A precipitous drop in score all because of a mancrush. Pathetic. Recently, popular fighting game reboot, Killer Instinct was met with  low user ratings. Most of the negativity stemmed from misconceptions regarding the f2p model (or the lack, thereof) or exclusivity of platform.

There are numerous occasions when ratings appear not to be truly reflective of anything.

suspsy

Hmm, looking at the rude comments of your fans, someone clearly shoudl check the blog.

Wow, a lot of really nasty things being said about the DTF in that Facebook thread. My personal favourite has to be the individual proclaiming that anyone who gave Savage a 2.5 star rating doesn't deserve to live. No, really, that's what he wrote.

Very classy!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tyrantqueen

QuoteBelieve it or not, the vast majority of Devil May Cry fans have expressed frustration and disdain for the game when the developers changed the protagonists hair from white to black. A precipitous drop in score all because of a mancrush. Pathetic.
Regardless of the quality of the games, I have to say I would rather play a DMC game with the original Dante than that unlikable jerk from the DmC games. And yes, a protagonist's personality does matter to me in a video game. Especially if it is heavily story driven. The way the character was handled was just a big middle finger to the long time fans.

For the record, I'm only a casual DMC fan. I'm not a fangirl of the character either (I don't find anime characters or prettyboys attractive at all) so a crush has nothing to do with it.

Shonisaurus

I understand that the vote is free, and not out of spite or voting is valid.

Moreover only it allowed to vote once. Although to be honest in most of the votes forum members are right, for example five star Monolophosaurus best dinosaurs 2014; Best Dinosaur Gryposaurus five star 2013; five star megacerops best animal prehistoric 2011.

As regards the tyrannosaurus Rebor has unfortunately and it is my humble opinion the same acceptance that the great vastatosaurus Papo, but stops unless the latter a mere recreation tyrannosaurus King Kong (I mean the tyrannosaurus running) is very detailed and is stable.

I understand that the tyrannosaurus Rebor was voted unfavorably because of their lack of sustainability and ridicule support that had its hind leg. Moreover there was much debate at the time about this figure, including discussions and the issue was by all hands. Regardless of this Rebor should make a tyrannosaurus that can be maintained without support regardless having base (is his philosophy and respect) as if it does. I think the other interesting part of the new base with triceratops dead female.

CityRaptor

Quote from: suspsy on June 18, 2015, 11:08:53 PM

Wow, a lot of really nasty things being said about the DTF in that Facebook thread. My personal favourite has to be the individual proclaiming that anyone who gave Savage a 2.5 star rating doesn't deserve to live. No, really, that's what he wrote.

Very classy!

Well, that one is clearly more savage than Savage. Savage would kill someone for a proper reason.
Oh no

tyrantqueen

QuoteWow, a lot of really nasty things being said about the DTF in that Facebook thread. My personal favourite has to be the individual proclaiming that anyone who gave Savage a 2.5 star rating doesn't deserve to live. No, really, that's what he wrote.

Very classy!
Mine was the guy who said that the three other models were based on Jurassic Park (which they weren't) and thus inaccurate and outdated, and that the Rebor Ceratosaurus was the only one which was truly accurate. People only liked the other three because they were "lizards".

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 18, 2015, 11:19:12 PM
QuoteBelieve it or not, the vast majority of Devil May Cry fans have expressed frustration and disdain for the game when the developers changed the protagonists hair from white to black. A precipitous drop in score all because of a mancrush. Pathetic.
Regardless of the quality of the games, I have to say I would rather play a DMC game with the original Dante than that unlikable jerk from the DmC games. And yes, a protagonist's personality does matter to me in a video game. Especially if it is heavily story driven. The way the character was handled was just a big middle finger to the long time fans.

For the record, I'm only a casual DMC fan. I'm not a fangirl of the character either (I don't find anime characters or prettyboys attractive at all) so a crush has nothing to do with it.

Ninja Theory makes excellent games and the combat engine and visuals are much better than previous DMC games. Regardless, this is no 50% game.

I've played DMC1-4, but I haven't played this DmC. I might pick up the special edition version that is being released for Xbox One. However, I've watched a lot of video reviews and I enjoy the overall feel of Ninja Theory games...so I'm looking forward to it. I also feel that it is fresh take on a series that was becoming too formulaic.

DinoLord

I'm a bit disappointed that this rather petty online ratings gaming has made it into the dinosaur collecting community. Personally I prefer to go by the reviewer's comments and photos rather than just the star rating - the former offer a much more comprehensive and balanced picture.

Dinomike

The votes are not quite comparable. For instance, the Kaiyodo Ceratosaurus has 16 votes and Rebor's  98. So had all of these creatures given the same attention the results might have varied a lot more. I gave Rebor's creation a 5/5 as I think it's a good figure. However, I think the marketing campaign has taken a turn for the worse. I originally commented on Rebor's post pointing out that all the other models deserve credit in their own categories and that I did give them a high score. But I deleted my post when the comments started being hostile. What I have always liked about this forum is that everybody here has always been very well behaving, at least in my experience. Even heated arguments have been resolved. I guess it was the unfriendly tone of the posts on Rebor's FB page that made me feel uneasy. I think, in the end, we are both on the same side. After all we're all dino fans!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: