News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Life Size Stegouros

Started by Kayakasaurus, February 16, 2015, 08:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on August 09, 2015, 07:55:26 PM
Does anyone know of a glue like super glue, that doesn't spread that fog effect? It can be scratched off, and it takes about a day to appear, you guys know what I'm talking about?
So it's a residue from the curing process? I wonder if it would help to have a fan blowing across the top of the bottle while it's curing, to evacuate some of the fumes. I don't know any glues that wouldn't give you that problem, but what I don't know could fill a book.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Z-Ray

QuoteDoes anyone know of a glue like super glue, that doesn't spread that fog effect? It can be scratched off, and it takes about a day to appear, you guys know what I'm talking about?

Do you need it to be fast drying like superglue?
If not than a Wood glue, PVA or some sort of Craft glue would work.
I have a really nice Craft glue from a scrap booking shop that I use for pretty much everything called Tacky Glue by Sullivans.

however if you are needing a very firm hold and fast drying I'd use a two part epoxy and superglue
what you do is mix up the epoxy and apply it leaving a small part of the contact point clear of epoxy then squeeze some superglue onto a piece of tinfoil and with a toothpick transfer just a small amount
into that clear spot then press the surfaces together and leave to dry.

the superglue holds everything in place while the epoxy hardens but because you only used a tiny amount there isn't enough off-gassing to fog your clear surfaces.
I've used this to attach models to clear bases with great effect, superglue on one foot epoxy, on the other.
You can just use superglue and the toothpick but the bond is weaker and can brake.
My Favorite Dinosaur Over The Years.
1988: Dienonychus - 1998: Pachycephalosaurus - 2008: Carnotaurus - 2018: ?

Arul

Thank you for the explanation this work is really really cool

Kayakasaurus

Hello! A long while back, you may remember I showed the beginnings of a protoceratops head... Well, it's getting close to completion! I haven't posted a lot of projects lately, but I have been busy with multiple Dino related things. Also I didn't want to share my work in case I wanted to use it for the Diorama contest. Anyways, here he is! I've considered naming him cricket, but I'm not sure yet. So far he is mostly paper mâché with a wooden frame for the legs. I painted him red today, to help me spot things I wanted to change. When I'm done with the head and front feet, I will use fiberglass/resin to make him super strong. Then I'm going to try roughing out detail with Bondo. This guy is 100% life size, and will be strong enough to sit on!
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Rain

Lookin' good.  ;D Any plans to make a 1:1 scale Velociraptor to go alongside it?

Pachyrhinosaurus

Very cool.  8) If you don't mind me saying so, I just wanted to point out that the hind legs would be better off with more musculature. The gastrocnemius is particularly small. I can't wait to see this one finished... I would really do this as well if I had the space for something of this size. ;)
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on October 10, 2015, 03:46:46 AM
Very cool.  8) If you don't mind me saying so, I just wanted to point out that the hind legs would be better off with more musculature. The gastrocnemius is particularly small. I can't wait to see this one finished... I would really do this as well if I had the space for something of this size. ;)

Thanks! Yes I agree, I will bulk them up. I'm not sure where I'm going to put this guy, I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with my family and 2 dogs, so I know about space :D.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Rain on October 09, 2015, 10:36:08 PM
Lookin' good.  ;D Any plans to make a 1:1 scale Velociraptor to go alongside it?

Not yet, however at least 2 forum members have.

fabricious

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on October 10, 2015, 05:06:23 AM
Quote from: Rain on October 09, 2015, 10:36:08 PM

Not yet, however at least 2 forum members have.

Yeah, mine is looking at me rather grumpily for not having worked on him for a while, haha.

Great progress so far, can't wait to see it finished! And funny you want to call him Cricket, I have a Velociraptor-character (female) that I named the same. :D Cricket-fight!

Kayakasaurus

He turned blue! I bulked up the gastrocnemius as you suggested Pachyrhinosaurus. I've also added the toes for the front feet. I think I may need to enlarge the tail as well as the front legs, and add some shoulders.

If anyone has suggestions feel free to let me know.

Kayakasaurus

Here are the changes I plan to make to the head

Kayakasaurus

I did this on my iPad today, digital painting really is amazing and fun to experiment with  :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Kayakasaurus

Most of the fiberglassing is complete! I still need to sand, fill with bondo, finish the head and add details, then I can paint it! He is super strong and fairly light weight.

Halichoeres

I'm impressed that it can hold up a person! I don't think a real Protoceratops could ;)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

fabricious

Coming along nicely! Now I really feel like I'm falling behind with my Velociraptor, haha.

Are you going to cover it for details?

Doug Watson

Ah the sweet smell of styrene, if you are going to do a lot of this be sure to use good ventilation with preferably a respirator with organic vapours cartridges, you only have one liver after all.
Can't wait to see the finished piece, my friend did a life sized Protoceratops vs Velociraptor but he sculpted them, moulded them and then cast them in FRPolyester.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 04, 2015, 06:38:54 PM
I'm impressed that it can hold up a person! I don't think a real Protoceratops could ;)

I don't know, I would think a full grown Proto would be rideable. This one is 6' long and 2' high at the shoulders.

Quote from: fabricious on November 05, 2015, 03:43:12 PM
Coming along nicely! Now I really feel like I'm falling behind with my Velociraptor, haha.

Are you going to cover it for details?

Yah, you've got to get him ready for battle :)). What did you have in mind to cover it with? So far I haven't found a cheap enough material that can be sculpted and strengthened. I will definitely be doing details on the head and feet though, I have some Epoxy sculpt left from smooth on that I can do that with. I think the epoxy was bad when I got it, the hardener seems to produce this tacky substance over time, but coating it with resin should seal it in.

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 05, 2015, 06:41:01 PM
Ah the sweet smell of styrene, if you are going to do a lot of this be sure to use good ventilation with preferably a respirator with organic vapours cartridges, you only have one liver after all.
Can't wait to see the finished piece, my friend did a life sized Protoceratops vs Velociraptor but he sculpted them, moulded them and then cast them in FRPolyester.

Yes! Resin smells of creativity  :)). I do wear a respirator  ;). I can't wait either! Sounds like your friend did it the right way! I've found this metal coating method to be very interesting, there are pictures of their Hadrosaur fountain in the gallery: http://www.afxstudios.com/sculpture/

I would love to make a park that is full of life size dinosaurs that can be climbed on, or at least one dinosaur.

fabricious

I must say, finding a cheap material for coating that is resistant to pressure is almost impossible. I've run into the same issue while looking for ways to cover my Velociraptor. DAS clay seems to be a good solution for detailing, but only if you have the sculpture displayed at a museum or somewhere it won't be prone to a lot of stress due to handling. Aves Apoxy is expensive, but hardens quite nicely. Since you have a strong base, maybe papermaché/clothmaché in combination with D4 (waterproof) white glue would be a solution, but it has quite some limitations for detailing. Maybe that in combination with aves apoxy for areas like the eyelids? Just a few ideas, though. Can't wait to see it done! :)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.