News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A Question on Theropods

Started by Mamasaurus, February 19, 2015, 03:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mamasaurus

Ok, so here is the scoop.  Of all the toy models of various theropods, which one would you all say is the best for an artistic reference.  I am looking for accuracy, detail, and a good overall view of a standard theropod body.

I would love to go out and buy every good looking, accurate toy model I can get my hands on, no matter the species...but budget is limited, and I am looking for a good model that would be a versatile reference  for sketches and the like.  At the moment I am particularly interested in Allosaurus, since that is the theropod I am currently working into an illustration, but none of the existing models really appeal to me.  I am thinking something along the lines of the new Safari nasutoceratops.  Beautifully detailed, accurate, and very "lifelike".  I really look for the toys that portray dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals like real animals, not "movie monsters". 

So if you guys have any pointers for theropods of that nature, that could perhaps help me as a reference for overall proportions of the average theropod, then that would be most helpful.   :)

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

sauroid

the Safari Nasutoceratops is a good figure but it isnt a theropod. the Battat Tyrannosaurus rex is considered one of the best figures ever made, but is quite pricey but a reissue is about to be released soon.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

suspsy

The CollectA Carcharodontosaurus should be on your list. So should the Carnegie Tyrannosaurus rex and Giganotosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tyrantqueen

Quote from: suspsy on February 19, 2015, 11:35:45 AM
The CollectA Carcharodontosaurus should be on your list. So should the Carnegie Tyrannosaurus rex and Giganotosaurus.
Although as Amargasaurus pointed out, the head of the CollectA Car is shrink wrapped. That should be taken into consideration for anyone who desires life-like models.

Mamasaurus

Thank you very much for the suggestions.  :) I've been eyeing the Carnegie rex and giga, and it's good to know they are highly regarded.

@sauroid: of course I am aware that nasutoceratops is not a theropod. I was just using it as an example for the sort of quality I am looking for. 😊

On another note, if anyone has any ideas for a good standard hadrosaur, that would also be very helpful. ☺️

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

sauroid

oh sorry i misread you. re: good hadrosaur, please check out Schleich's older Parasaurolophus
http://mlb-d1-p.mlstatic.com/14181-MLB4286923710_052013-F.jpg

also the Bullyland Lambeosaurus is good.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoLord

From the Wild Safari line, the Allosaurus is really great. The Acrocanthosaurus and Ceratosaurus are nice too but have oversized feet (for balance purposes). From Carnegie, my favorites are the Carnotaurus, Cryolophosaurus, Albertosaurus, and Sinraptor.

For hadrosaurs, my favorite is the Sue at the Field Museum Anatotitan (made by Safari). The Wild Safari Gryposaurus is another great hadrosaur model, but it seems like the paint scuffs very easily on that one. The WS Hypacrosaurus is pretty nice too. The Carnegie Corythosaurus and Battat hadrosaurs still are beautiful and accurate models despite their age.

If you don't mind smaller figures, Kaiyodo Dinotales figures are pretty much almost always perfect anatomically.

Sim

An inaccuracy in a lot of of theropod reconstructions of all types (pictures, figures, toys, etc.), is the dinosaur's caudofemoralis muscle (M. caudofemoralis) is far too small.  The caudofemoralis muscle is explained really well here: https://archosaurmusings.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/guest-post-bulking-up-the-back-end-why-tyrannosaurus-tail-mass-matters/  While a caudofemoralis that is too small can be a problem for other dinosaur reconstructions too, it mostly affects theropod reconstructions as most theropods have a very big caudofemoralis.  The caudofemoralis muscle in Tyrannosaurus and Carnotaurus has been well studied, with the latter having an ENORMOUS caudofemoralis - as seen in the cross section through Carnotaurus's tail below!

A caudofemoralis muscle that is far too small has been a consistent problem for the Carnegie Collection theropods, including the Carnegie Giganotosaurus, 2011 Carnotaurus and 2014 Tyrannosaurus.  This is also a problem for both the 2012 Wild Safari Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus.

Interestingly, the Battat dinosaurs have had correctly sized caudofemoralis muscles since they were first made in the 1990s!  I've looked at some of my Battat figures from when I was a kid, the Tyrannosaurus v3, Gallimimus, Styracosaurus, Utahraptor, Ceratosaurus v1 and Ouranosaurus, and they all have correctly sized caudofemoralis muscles.  Looking at pictures of the Battat Carnotaurus, I can see it also has a correctly sized caudofemoralis. Out of figures currently in production, I recommend the Battat Cryolophosaurus, it's accurate and very detailed, and like the other Battat dinosaurs really looks like a living animal with its own personality.  It shows correct theropod anatomy very well down to a correctly sized caudofemoralis muscle.  The Battat Tyrannosaurus is equally excellent, as mentioned earlier by Sauroid it's planned to be reissued.

I don't know as much about hadrosaurs as I do about theropods, but I can tell some hadrosaur toys are more accurate than others.  I think the most accurate ones are the Wild Safari Gryposaurus and the Battat Parasaurolophus, Maiasaura and Ouranosaurus (a hadrosauriforme).

Quote from: sauroid on February 19, 2015, 02:37:12 PM
oh sorry i misread you. re: good hadrosaur, please check out Schleich's older Parasaurolophus
http://mlb-d1-p.mlstatic.com/14181-MLB4286923710_052013-F.jpg

also the Bullyland Lambeosaurus is good.
They have inaccuracies that should be taken into consideration if one is looking for an accurate/lifelike hadrosaur figure - the hands on the Schleich Parasaurolophus are incorrect, and the notch on its back is probably not a natural feature of Parasaurolophus but an injury of a fossil specimen, and the Bullyland Lambeosaurus has a reduced fourth toe on each foot which it shouldn't have.  That Parasaurolophus is interesting though, it makes me think Schleich was trying to make a good and accurate figure - quite a change from most of their other prehistoric animal toys.

Regarding Allosaurus, unfortunately there currently aren't any great and accurate Allosaurus toys, I can't think of any that don't suffer from caudofemoralis shrinkage or which have correct fingers and finger claws.

Dinoguy2

I just got the WS Gryposaurus because IMO it's one of the most accurate hadrosaurs out there. Not perfect but the scale texture etc. are very accurate.

I have the v1 Battat T. rex which is the gold standard for theropods... Shame it stopped being able to stand up long ago.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.