News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shipping costs and tips

Started by Ikessauro, February 20, 2015, 01:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

Hi guys
We deal with shipping charges everyday in this hobby and I think would be nice to have a topic about this matter, to discuss the average costs to ship a model/figure and ideas to save on shipping. What's the best way to pack figures? This and other questions could be answered here.

I'm in a situation and would appreciate any advice. eBay is a good place to buy retired rare items and sometimes it is the only way we have. For me, this is sometimes a problem, because ebay shipping calculator tends to overcharge shipping to my country. I have bought many kinds of models over the years, from small kaiyodo to big figures like most BRachiosauruses, both heavy and light items. Also have bought singles and lots. I see a pattern in shipping prices depending on the country I order from.
US tends to have higher costs than UK in my opinion, at least in my case. Germany has quite reasonable shipping prices too. China usually ships free in several small items, so that's a plus, but even when charged, shipping is not very expensive.

Last week I won an auction on eBay for two small figures about 15 cm each, very lightweight. A small package would suffice to send them with some bubble wrap around each model to avoid damage. The auction didn't list the shipping prices, so I asked the seller for a paypal invoice including first class mail shipping, which is cheaper and usually delivers fine, although it takes longer. I'm not spending loads of cash in shipping now that dollar costs have risen of course.

So the seller politely messages me telling he/she will send me the invoice with the ACTUAL shipping costs for FIRST CLASS MAIL. A couple of days later I get the invoice charging me 44 USD for shipping! That's more than I paid for the figures! The models, of course, Battat Ouranosaurus and Utahraptor, are retired and usually go for over 45 each alone, but I bid 40 and got both together with no other bidders in the auction.

To me seems like the seller is not satisfied with the amount the auction ended and wants to earn a bit more on shipping costs or the seller is afraid to ship to Brazil without extra tracking/insurance and decided to only ship via PRIORITY MAIL. If that's the case, I would understand, several sellers have problems with overseas deals, since packages are sometimes lost or stolen in the way.  Anyway, I would prefer the seller to be honest with me and tell me what's going on. So I emailed him/her again to ask why shipping is so expensive since it is supposed to be first class mail.

I am using as a reference my last order from US. Five Safari Ltd. Figures from eBay. The seller charged me 24 USD for First class mail. You see, three more figures, which btw were way bulkier than the Battats.

I didn't get a response yet, so I thought of asking you guys what you think about it. Have you ever been in the same situation before? What would you recommend I do in this case?

Doug Watson

I am in Canada and shipping costs out of the US through eBay have really gone up especially if the seller uses the Global Shipping program which prepays customs charges. This is a ripoff since most of my items never have customs charges if shipped through the postal service but eBay adds them automatically with that service.

My main advice to you is ask about shipping before you bid. In order for a seller's transaction to be covered by eBays Seller protection eBay requires the seller to use shipping that can be tracked so that automatically bumps the price. That price of 44 USD could be totally legit. I always ask for shipping costs before bidding. Sometimes if it is an item I really want and they have the Global Shipping Service I will ask if the seller will ship it direct to me without the service because the customs charges are bogus. I have had some sellers agree and I have saved tons on shipping.
If you have very good feedback some sellers will forego tracking to get you a better shipping price but you have to ask before bidding. Once you have bid and won you have entered into a contract and you must abide by the shipping that is quoted on the listing.

As far as shipping being more than the item cost well that is a reality more often than not these days. I just won an item for $2 and the shipping is $7.70. Its the cost of doing business.

SBell

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 20, 2015, 01:57:12 PM
I am in Canada and shipping costs out of the US through eBay have really gone up especially if the seller uses the Global Shipping program which prepays customs charges. This is a ripoff since most of my items never have customs charges if shipped through the postal service but eBay adds them automatically with that service.

My main advice to you is ask about shipping before you bid. In order for a seller's transaction to be covered by eBays Seller protection eBay requires the seller to use shipping that can be tracked so that automatically bumps the price. That price of 44 USD could be totally legit. I always ask for shipping costs before bidding. Sometimes if it is an item I really want and they have the Global Shipping Service I will ask if the seller will ship it direct to me without the service because the customs charges are bogus. I have had some sellers agree and I have saved tons on shipping.
If you have very good feedback some sellers will forego tracking to get you a better shipping price but you have to ask before bidding. Once you have bid and won you have entered into a contract and you must abide by the shipping that is quoted on the listing.

As far as shipping being more than the item cost well that is a reality more often than not these days. I just won an item for $2 and the shipping is $7.70. Its the cost of doing business.

I was going to say the same thing--I haven't, and won't, buy from a US seller if the GSS is in use--it's a cash grab, since any value under $20 wouldn't pay taxes, and the shipping cost includes postage from the seller to the ebay packing centre, and then to the buyer.

But postage is expensive, especially relative to a single or small, inexpensive items. From my perspective, having a store, I know that the lowest price I can mail a single item, no matter how small (unless it fits a letter envelope) is $8.13 to the US. $16 or so to anywhere else. And that's for a parcel under 250g, with no tracking or insurance. Tracking doubles the cost. ANd 250 is a very hard number to stay under for even two small figures, because a box good enough to make it safely often weighs 125-175g.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 20, 2015, 01:57:12 PM
Once you have bid and won you have entered into a contract and you must abide by the shipping that is quoted on the listing.

I actually don't mind it being more expensive than the figure itself, I've had to pay more for shipping than for a figure before. And as I said, there was no shipping quoted on the listing. I'm waiting the seller respond my message, I hope he/she will understand me and find a better option. I just don't want to pay 44 for shipping when I KNOW it CAN be sent for 25 or so, even in a sturdy box which ads to the weight. Oh, and the auction wasn't on the GSS, I too don't bid on those.

triceratops83

I've made peace with the fact that where I live, postage will be expensive. BUT, I have seen a lot of US Ebay listings for cheap, small chinasaurs where the postage will be in excess of $40 to Oz.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Ikessauro on February 20, 2015, 03:14:00 PM
And as I said, there was no shipping quoted on the listing.

When there is no shipping quote on the listing it is even more important to ask for a quote before bidding. The seller could add a $50 handling fee and what are you going to do about it other than giving a neg feedback.

brettnj

If you are okay with waiting, you could consider paying someone in the US to have items shipped to him or her and have that person forward them all together at whatever intervals make sense, charging you for the actual shipping method of your choice.

I receive figures for some of my regular buyers.

Doug Watson

Quote from: brettnj on February 20, 2015, 03:48:09 PM
If you are okay with waiting, you could consider paying someone in the US to have items shipped to him or her and have that person forward them all together at whatever intervals make sense, charging you for the actual shipping method of your choice.

Great advice! I have used that method to get around people who won't ship out of the US as well.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've played "middleman" on more than one occasion to help out friends, if you need me you know where to find me. :)

Ikessauro

Thanks for the offer guys. But it won't be necessary, the seller sent me another invoice with a new shipping cost. Thanks.