You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa, Ontario

Started by suspsy, February 22, 2015, 03:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

Very nice pictures; I wish I could be there. Its also interesting to hear about it from someone who did work for them. The life sized statues are also cool. Which came first, the Safari mammoth or the CMN statue?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

triceratops83

Thanks for posting these pics! I for one have never been anywhere that has such a gallery of skeletons. That Anchiceratops is one of my all time favourite displays.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on February 23, 2015, 02:57:05 AM
Very nice pictures; I wish I could be there. Its also interesting to hear about it from someone who did work for them. The life sized statues are also cool. Which came first, the Safari mammoth or the CMN statue?

I did the Mammoth group for the museum in 1987, I did the Mammoth adult and baby for Safari Ltd in 2004 long after I left the museum in 1997.

suspsy

Added a couple more photos to the first post.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

Nice photos of the Exhibits. I love the photo of the indoor Vega herd, and the darkness of the room makes it look eerie to walk among those large orange Creatures.  I also love the detail on the Vegas themselves, though now i cant think of any other color to picture them in thanks to them, and the Safari Model (Which I bet was inspired by those models)

Suspy  Alright if i share one of your Photos on Facebook?

suspsy

HD-man

Quote from: suspsy on February 22, 2015, 03:39:00 PMThis is the museum that I grew up with, one that helped immensely to foster my lifelong love of dinosaur and other prehistoric animals. It underwent a complete renovation some years back. If I ever come across any photos of the original gallery, I'll be sure to share them.

Not to sound ungrateful, as I do appreciate your photos of my favorite permanent dino exhibition (I especially like that 1 half is a walk-through diorama of local Late Cretaceous dinos for ecological-context & 1 half is a gallery of said dinos' skeletons arranged phylogenetically for evolutionary-context). However, none of your photos show my favorite part: http://pappasaurus.deviantart.com/art/Troodon-pair-nest-brooding-423368120
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Doug Watson

Quote from: HD-man on February 24, 2015, 06:03:00 PM
Not to sound ungrateful, as I do appreciate your photos of my favorite permanent dino exhibition (I especially like that 1 half is a walk-through diorama of local Late Cretaceous dinos for ecological-context & 1 half is a gallery of said dinos' skeletons arranged phylogenetically for evolutionary-context). However, none of your photos show my favorite part: http://pappasaurus.deviantart.com/art/Troodon-pair-nest-brooding-423368120

I have some more shots of it before the glass went up if suspsy would like me to post them?

suspsy

I didn't take any pictures of the Troodons and their nest because of that glass.

Doug Watson

I had the advantage of being there during construction while I was installing some bronze and fibreglass fossil casts that I had done for CMN so I got these before the glass was installed. I know the walk through dinosaur diorama was done by Research Castings International and the mammal life models were done by Hall Train studios but I am not sure who did this one. It looks like they also turned the heads of both Troodon even more towards the viewer after I took these.

dinosaurdungeon

I love this place! Going to try and make it back there around easter.

HD-man

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 25, 2015, 03:21:49 AMI had the advantage of being there during construction while I was installing some bronze and fibreglass fossil casts that I had done for CMN so I got these before the glass was installed. I know the walk through dinosaur diorama was done by Research Castings International and the mammal life models were done by Hall Train studios but I am not sure who did this one. It looks like they also turned the heads of both Troodon even more towards the viewer after I took these.

Many thanks for sharing more of your photos.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

suspsy

I paid a visit to the CMN today on a whim. Took a few more photos. Forgot to take one of the museum exterior though. :p

Leptoceratops

Parasaurolophus

Ankylosaurus club

Hesperonis

Pteranodon female

suspsy

Platecarpus and Terminonaris

Troodon nest. It now has a glass barrier in front of it to prevent kids from petting the birds.

suspsy

More of the Vagaceratops

Notharctus

Dorudon and Ambulocetus. Note the difference in nostril placement between the two. An excellent example of macroevolution.

Megacerops

Hoplophoneus

amargasaurus cazaui

Did you happen to have any closer tighter or more detailed shots of the Leptoceratops panel?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

Hahahah, I was actually thinking about you when I took the photo today:)

And I'm afraid that was the best shot I could get, sorry. The glass casing doesn't help, and worse, there's a window on the opposite wall that makes it VERY hard to take a clear photograph. Worse, part of the display is mounted over the Styracosaurus skeleton, so one can only get so close to it. I can tell you that there are two Leptoceratops there, but one is missing its skull.

Again, if I ever find any photos of the old dinosaur exhibit, I'll post them here. The Leptoceratops was very, very accessible back then.

amargasaurus cazaui

Drat and humbug!! Thanks for thinking of me, im sure it came as no surprise my post went right to the Lepto mount then...at least I am consistent and predicatble. Thanks for posting this , and I do notice all the glare and reflections and can see it must have been hard to get any shot or angle that was useful given the display./ At least I have this to look at
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

Sorry for the double post here in your thread, but I am wondering, is this the holotype specimen itself or a cast? It looks so well done and preserved.....also could you speculate how large the  entire panel was? Just a spectacular animal..wow, so glad to get to see it....that skull is stunning

suspsy

I believe it is a genuine fossil, but Doug Watson would probably know better than me. The slab is around six and half feet by two feet, so the Leptoceratops would be about the size of a husky.

Here are some shots that I found online:

You can see the fossil on the wall behind the Styracosaurus. Again, the old exhibit had it at eye level, which was nicer.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: