News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 28, 2019, 08:43:13 PM

Who makes those trees in the background?

PhilSauria

Great collection and well photographed! - I've been trying to shoot my shelves but they sorta come out like crime scene photos!

Apart from my liking for looking at other people's collections I also find it helpful in getting an idea of the size of figures that I don't have when I see them next to some that I do. Where did you get those perspex risers / shelves?, I've been after something like these.

Thanks for posting.

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you Halichoeres for your collection is neat and clean.

DinoToyCollector

Wow, nice to see these pieces of your collection. I like the tidiness and the grouping of the models  ;D

Fenestra

Looking good!
I always enjoy looking at someone's collection, no matter how it's displayed.
It's a great opportunity to see different figures interact together.

Bokisaurus

Wonderful collection and display. Wow, you really kept a good record of your figures and which companies and how many from each ones, very impressive!
What is that interesting marine reptile on the 12th photo, the one that looks like a plesiosaur?

I'm contemplating completely re-arranging my display shelf as well, so many new and awesome addition! ;D

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Bokisaurus on March 01, 2019, 08:16:21 PM
What is that interesting marine reptile on the 12th photo, the one that looks like a plesiosaur?

De Agostini rubber "Sea Dinosaurs &Co" ( https://www.originalsandco.com/it/collections/seadinosaurs-maxxi )

https://www.originalsandco.com/storage/7bbb13a668c24d7cc3e4a2046eaa524a.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137381464@N07/albums/72157700921749382

(p.s they're sold in blind-bags ; most of them are just the same mold with a different name/coloration  ;) )

:)

Halichoeres

Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

Quote from: Ravonium on February 28, 2019, 09:07:20 PM
Who makes those trees in the background?

Those are from a company called Scene-a-Rama here in the US; they make accessories for train sets. These are intended for N or HO scale landscapes, so honestly a bit small for most dinosaur figures. I haven't yet decided how to use them, so I haven't removed them from their blister pack.

Quote from: PhilSauria on February 28, 2019, 09:12:13 PM
Great collection and well photographed! - I've been trying to shoot my shelves but they sorta come out like crime scene photos!

Apart from my liking for looking at other people's collections I also find it helpful in getting an idea of the size of figures that I don't have when I see them next to some that I do. Where did you get those perspex risers / shelves?, I've been after something like these.

Thanks for posting.

Thank you! Glad you find it helpful. As for the risers, I'm not sure if they ship to Australia, but http://displaycaseart.com/ has a great selection. There are also quite a few available on Amazon.

Wonderful collection and display. Wow, you really kept a good record of your figures and which companies and how many from each ones, very impressive!

I'm contemplating completely re-arranging my display shelf as well, so many new and awesome addition! ;D

I am a compulsive user of spreadsheets. I never count but the spreadsheet keeps a tally. I do the same thing with my books, and I download US Census data tables as soon as they're available.

As for the marine reptile, I think you mean the solid green one, which as Robin points out, is one of the rubber figures from DeAgostini. That one is a Pistosaurus; I'll be featuring it in this thread soon!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Your collection is very pleasing to look at, and this is the first time I've seen one of these "in real time". Didn't know the Shonisaurus was that big, or that the Estemenosuchus was a good size (i.e. neither too big nor too small).
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on March 02, 2019, 09:00:48 PM
Your collection is very pleasing to look at, and this is the first time I've seen one of these "in real time". Didn't know the Shonisaurus was that big, or that the Estemenosuchus was a good size (i.e. neither too big nor too small).

Thanks! I think the Estemmenosuchus is an appropriate size, too, and I was pleased to find upon my recent receipt of the CollectA Edaphosaurus that they scale well together, which you'll see when I next do a Paleozoic update.

For now, osteichthyans of the Jurassic!

Diramix Leedsichthys (Dinosauri Marini)
Scale: 1:60
Released: 2018
Middle Jurassic
The only other toy version is the tiny CollectA one. This one is bigger, so fits in better scale-wise on my shelf, but it's way uglier. It replicates the biggest error of the CollectA version: giving Leedsichthys pelvic fins while taking away the anal fin. Diramix commits the additional sin of giving it a bunch of goofy teeth--Leedischthys was toothless. While companies are making endless versions of Ty***nosaurus, Spinosaurus, and Giganotosaurus, the largest actinopterygian that ever lived gets this treatment.

Papo Compsognathus
Scale: 1:4-1:5
Upper Jurassic Laurasia
Compsognathus is a somewhat tragic case. It's very completely known, and very famous to boot, but the toy versions are either ugly, two-fingered reconstructions (GeoWorld, Schleich, Galoob), or The Lost World-inspired kangaroo-snakes. This is obviously one of the latter, but it's at least a nicer JP clone than the Rebor version, so it's replacing it in my collection. Plus it scales better with the Protolindenia that comes with the Rebor.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Killekor

Thanks for your collection overview, Halicoeres! It's full of interesting models.

So you think that the Papo Compy it's better than the REBOR one? I was thinking of getting the latter, but your post is making me change idea.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on March 02, 2019, 06:38:25 AM

De Agostini rubber "Sea Dinosaurs &Co" ( https://www.originalsandco.com/it/collections/seadinosaurs-maxxi )

https://www.originalsandco.com/storage/7bbb13a668c24d7cc3e4a2046eaa524a.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137381464@N07/albums/72157700921749382

(p.s they're sold in blind-bags ; most of them are just the same mold with a different name/coloration  ;) )

:)

Where can one purchase these?

Georassic

Amazing collection. Aspirational!
I wasn't counting, but it looks like you've rounded up the complete Play Visions amphibians and Dawn of the Dinosaur minis and resins. THAT is an impressive accomplishment in just a few years.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Killekor on March 07, 2019, 11:57:17 AM
Thanks for your collection overview, Halicoeres! It's full of interesting models.

So you think that the Papo Compy it's better than the REBOR one? I was thinking of getting the latter, but your post is making me change idea.

Killekor

Thanks! I should make clear that I don't think there are any good Compsognathus figures. I do think this one is nicer than the somewhat rigid Rebor version.

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on March 07, 2019, 08:46:09 PM

Where can one purchase these?

I got mine from Italian eBay. Sometimes DeAgostini reuses their Italian series for the UK market; I don't know if that will happen with these though.

Quote from: Georassic on March 07, 2019, 11:59:17 PM
Amazing collection. Aspirational!
I wasn't counting, but it looks like you've rounded up the complete Play Visions amphibians and Dawn of the Dinosaur minis and resins. THAT is an impressive accomplishment in just a few years.

Thank you! I have all the ones I wanted, at any rate. 6 PV amphibians (no Diplocaulus or Eryops because I have the Kaiyodo versions), and I have all the Dawn of the Dinosaurs figures I wanted, but again there were a few I didn't want. But yeah, I was amazed I managed to scare them all up!

Now, sauropsids of the Triassic!

Planeta DeAgostini Ceresiosaurus calcagnii (Sea Dinosaurs & Co.)
Scale: 1:12
Middle Triassic
This is a largish rubber blind bag figure, similar to the ones sold by Diramix. Italy seems to be really into this style of marketing. Sometimes I suspect that Diramix and DeAgostini are part of the same company, but I'm not really sure. Odd that this series came out only a couple of months after Diramix's "Dinosauri Marini" series! Anyway, this is actually not a terrible mold to represent a nothosauroid. A litlte bit of an overbite, but not the worst thing in the world.

It changes color in hot water, although the effect is short-lived (by the time I took the photo, the purplish color was already returning to the head).

With the Kaiyodo Xenacanthus and Carnegie Ichthyosaurus

Planeta DeAgostini Askeptosaurus italicus (Sea Dinosaurs & Co.)
Scale: 1:8 based on overall length, 1:5 based on length excluding tail
Middle Triassic
Most of you will have noticed that this is identical to the Ceresiosaurus except for the paint job. That would be irritating but acceptable if it were some other nothosauroid, but Askeptosaurus is a thalattosaur with wildly different anatomy. The snout would be narrower, the teeth finer, and the tail much loooooonger. I hope somebody makes a real Askeptosaurus someday, as it doesn't resemble anything else now available as a toy. This same series also used the same mold to make a Lariosaurus, which I meant to order alongside this one, but made a mistake. Shipping from Italy is so expensive that it's hard to justify for just one ugly rubber figure. Hilariously, DeAgostini did not use this mold for their Nothosaurus, which instead shared a mold with the Mosasaurus, which obviously has a wildly different morphology.

Another color-changer.

With the PNSO Glyphoderma and Starlux Placochelys.

Planeta DeAgostini Pistosaurus longaevus (Sea Dinosaurs & Co.)
Scale: 1:15
Late Triassic
The only other Pistosaurus I know of is a fève, which I think is also made by a DeAgostini subsidiary. This shares a mold with the Plesiosaurus from the same line, and I think it works better as that genus. Unfortunately, respectable companies just keep making the same five or six marine reptiles over and over again, so this sits on my shelf until they get more daring.

Giving chase to Henodus and Gerrothorax

Sonokong Shastasaurus (Dino Mecard)
Scale: 1:80
Released: 2019
Mid-Late Triassic
Sonokong has finally made almost all of their species into larger-scale figures, although Shastasaurus was such a gigantic animal that this figure is 1:80, or even smaller based on the largest specimens attributable to the genus, which were potentially up to 21 meters long. Frankly, it also looks like a mosasaur with ichthyosaur flippers stuck on, as the head is too blunt and lizard-y, and it has big teeth, while Shastasaurus was toothless. Don't let the seam on the tail fool you, this one only articulates at the jaw.

With Shonisaurus, which, while bulkier, was not as long. These both need updated versions.

Shonisaurus

Thanks for posting these Halichoeres photos. Sincerely the Planet DeAgostini I am interested in that pistosaurus looks very good, it is a pity that I have to take care of my economy and save for another occasion maybe in several years I will buy those figures (if I find them). Thanks for sharing the photographs.

Halichoeres

Bilaterians of the Paleozoic!

CollectA Estemmenosuchus (mini box)
Scale: 1:45-1:50
Middle Permian
The only figure in the new prehistoric mini box that interests me, so if anybody wants the rest, let me know. I wasn't sure it would be a decent scale for me, but it's just a little bit small for 1:40, so close enough. It's roughly to scale with my Kaiyodo Dimetrodon and Dinowaurs Keratocephalus, but those are both boxed away, so here's a photo with the Dawn of the Dinosaurs Ischigualastia:

CollectA Edaphosaurus
Scale: 1:15
Sculptor: Matthias Geiger
Latest Carboniferous-Early Permian
Absolutely beautiful sculpt, and the coolest addition to CollectA's 2019 lineup. Very excited to see them continue making Permian animals; keep 'em coming!

It's substantially larger than the Bullyland figure, which it's replacing. That's bittersweet because the Edaphosaurus is one of the very best Bullyland figures and now that the company is in bankruptcy, it doesn't seem very likely we'll ever get any more like this.

Still, the CollectA fits in a little better with other Permian animals in my collection, which is nice! Given that the Estemmenosuchus was included in the otherwise uninteresting (for me) mini box, I'm thinking a Permian mini-box is not very likely, but that would be the best: Seymouria, Diadectes, Elginia, etc.

Favorite Anomalocaris
Scale: 1:4-1:6
Sculptor: Hirokazu Tokugawa
Released: 2014
Lower Cambrian
I still have the Kaiyodo "Great Leaps" Anomalocaris, but I finally got around to adding this larger-scale version to my collection as well, only to find that I have basically nothing from the Cambrian on the same scale. Most of my Cambrian critters would work better with the big vinyl model from Favorite. I usually don't go for big vinyl models if other options are available, so I guess this will just be by itself. Beautiful little model, though. We need more of this kind of thing from Favorite.

Now for some weird stuff.

Sonokong cf. Gerobatrachus (Dino Mecard)
Lower Permian
This is a character called Kai from the movie Dino Mecard: The Island of Tinysaurs. Some of the promotional material refers to the character as "frogamander," which is the informal name given to Gerobatrachus when it was first described, because it was thought to be on the stem of Batrachia, the clade containing both salamanders and frogs. This character is about what you'd get if you took the informal name too literally. The box is all in Korean, and I've tried to translate it with my phone, but there doesn't seem to be a positive ID anywhere. Obviously I'd rather have a proper Gerobatrachus; this one is so goofy in its proportions it doesn't even make sense to try to estimate the scale.

It also comes with this giant swamp monster thing, which, I don't know, is maybe its final form? I don't really want to watch the movie to find out.

And finally, the highlight of my recent acquisitions:

cf. Microhaplolepis ovoidea
Scale: just a shade over 1:1
Sculptor: Richard Rush or someone in his studio
avatar_SBell @SBell you're going to want to see this. This tiny metal fish comes from the studio of Richard Rush, who made models for a variety of museums in the Midwest. This model is sufficiently detailed that I am almost certain it's meant to represent Microhaplolepis ovoidea (Lowney KA 1980, J. Paleontol. 54: 942). This was a tiny stem-actinopterygian from the Upper Carboniferous, found in the same deposits as Tullimonstrum.

I managed to get two of them. They seem to have been stored incautiously, and are both a little battered in different ways.

With my Paleocasts Euproops and Paleolimulus.

SBell

That Microhaplolepis is amazing! If you need a home for the second one avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I'm sure I can help!

And while many people might not be familiar with Rush Studios anymore, they might be familiar with D @dinonikes and his FaunaCasts models--he worked with Rush years back!

I even have a copy of the Rush rex that Malcolm gave me way back while he was building an (unrelated) display of Paleocene fauna for a museum I ran!

Shonisaurus

That prehistoric fish Microhaplolepis looks magnificent is an addition to your fabulous collection. It is a very realistic figure.

On the other hand as regards the edaphosaurus of Bullyland, it is a pity that this company has left two years ago the production of new figures. Bullyland was one of the best companies of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals based in Europe, by the way the edahphosaurus of Collecta makes a very good team with its counterpart of Bullyland. I congratulate you on all your Halichoeres acquisitions.

Roselaar

Excellent acquisitions, Hali! There's some amazing species there and some equally amazing renditions of them (though not all as apealing...).

I get the feeling I need to overhaul the USL yet again...

Libraraptor

Excellent acquisitions for sure! I love those new critters! That Edaphosaurus seems to become quite rare, isn´t it?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: