News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

QuoteIf anyone knows any reason why I can't use the acrylics I have lying around, let me know!
All acrylic is fine (even alcohol based brands)

They are indeed his designs. He had an article in PT about it.

SBell

You should be fine with acrylics, but you'll want to prime first anyway.

Halichoeres

Thanks for the reassurance, guys! TQ, gratifying to know it's his original work.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Halichoeres

6-month commemorative edition! I ordered my first dinosaurs at the end of February. Like many collectors, I started with Papo. The first time I picked one up, I marveled at how much better the production quality of dinosaur toys had gotten since I was a kid. But soon I started noticing the anatomical liberties in the models, and I couldn't un-see them, so recently several Papos have been honorably discharged from my collection. Except the Pteranodon. That discharge was emphatic and dishonorable. My scope has broadened, and this is the 6-month progress report on my mission to collect the single best toy representation (I try to steer clear of high-end resins and model kits because I am on a grad student budget) of every Paleozoic and Mesozoic total-group chordate, from the Cambrian lagerstätten to the K-Pg boundary. I make numerous ad hoc exceptions for renditions in different scales, excellent sculpts that I can't decide between, and non-target organisms.

I'm now at 300 animals and 5 plants, representing 265 genera, made by at least 36 separate manufacturers. The most-represented manufacturers are Safari Ltd., CollectA, and Kaiyodo, which together account for more than half my collection. I have more theropods than any other clade that doesn't contain theropods, but sauropods + ornithischians together outnumber theropods. The most represented genus is Plesiosaurus, of which I have five. For most other genera I have only one version, but sometimes there are two or even three. Here's a quick peek at the shelves! Forgive the flash--most of them are housed in a room that gets very little sun, which is great for avoiding fading but lousy for taking pictures.

This bookcase houses the largest chunk of my collection, but also some books. Up top are a few fossils, every last one a gift from one of my closest friends, a young paleontologist. Every time he does field work he brings me back something dead. Every time I do field work, I bring him back liquor.

Late Cretaceous, 1:45-1:80

Late Cretaceous, 1:30-1:40

Late Cretaceous, 1:40-1:45

Late Cretaceous, 1:15-1:30

Cretaceous, 1:7-1:15

Some pterosaurs guarding some books. I have a great many books whose titles conform to the formula X of Y where X is some taxonomic group and Y is some geographic area.

Early Cretaceous, 1:15-1:30

Early Cretaceous, ±1:40

Mesozoic, 1:30-1:60

Mesozoic, ±1:10

Jurassic, 1:7-1:15

Jurassic, 1:2-1:5

Jurassic, 1:30-1:80, but mostly around 1:40

Jurassic, 1:15-1:30

1:15-1:30

The Permian and Triassic, 1:15-1:30, with The Great Dying in between.

Permian and Triassic, 1:2-1:12

Permian and Triassic, ±1:35-1:50, along with some rocks, at least one of which is pre-Cambrian.

Paleozoic, ±1:10

Paleozoic, ±1:40, on a stack of back issues of Scientific American.

These guys guard my art supplies.

Paleozoic, 1:1-1:6. These are some of my favorites.

tyrantqueen

Nice prehistoric eye candy. I have an Art Bin™ too, they're awesome.

Paleona

Very nice, I see many that are on my wish list!  That Favorite co. Saurolophus caught my eye- I hadn't seen one before and had to do a quick google search to figure out who made it.  I would love to get one of those someday!  It would be great to see a review of it on the blog, too.  ;)

joossa

Wow, fantastic collection! Grad student budget, huh?  ;)
I'm telling you, that Shonisaurus always steals the spotlight!!

I have a couple ID requests, if you don't mind:

The protoceratops(?) in the front to the right of the feathered raptor?

The sauropds to the right and to the left of the 2012 Carnegie Brachiosaurus?
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

tyrantqueen

QuoteThe protoceratops(?) in the front to the right of the feathered raptor?
UHA Protoceratops

QuoteThe sauropds to the right and to the left of the 2012 Carnegie Brachiosaurus?
Dinosaurs of China Mamenchisaurus and Carnegie Camarasaurus.

joossa

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 28, 2015, 03:35:43 PM
Nice prehistoric eye candy. I have an Art Bin™ too, they're awesome.

Thanks! Yeah, I love my Art Bin. I also have a fly fishing tackle box, which I have never used to for its intended purpose, but which has instead held my charcoals and technical pencils since 1997. It's quite a bit more portable (fits in a backpack, for example). (PS-thanks for being so quick on the draw with those IDs!)

Quote from: Paleona on August 28, 2015, 03:50:25 PM
Very nice, I see many that are on my wish list!  That Favorite co. Saurolophus caught my eye- I hadn't seen one before and had to do a quick google search to figure out who made it.  I would love to get one of those someday!  It would be great to see a review of it on the blog, too.  ;)

Oh, it's such a beautiful figure. You found it on Google just based on this photo? To be honest, it seems like it would be kind of mean to review it for the blog given how hard it is to find it! But it's amazing what you can turn up by trading with people on the forum. Maybe I'll do a review if and when I can ever get my hands on its companion piece, the Tarbosaurus.

Quote from: joossa on August 28, 2015, 05:58:57 PM
I'm telling you, that Shonisaurus always steals the spotlight!!

It really does!

Quote from: joossa on August 28, 2015, 05:58:57 PM
Wow, fantastic collection! Grad student budget, huh?  ;)
Haha, I've been unusually lucky with trades. Being a grad student in Chicago is actually pretty great. The university pays me a living wage, not a great deal more, but Chicago is the best bargain in America. For being such a great global city, it's incredibly cheap, especially because I don't have to own a car (bike in the summer, bus/train in the winter). And I don't really have a lot of indulgences aside from eating out, traveling, and buying toys. I can often get grants for travel, so that doesn't eat up too much.

The weird part is that I get paid every 3 months. So what I've been doing is just spending most of my dinosaur budget right after I get paid (with a little in reserve for unexpected opportunities). When I started out, for example, I spent $1300 buying 3 different people's entire collections. Then I sold off/traded away the parts of their collections that I didn't want. You can get things for surprisingly cheap if you're willing to spend a large lump sum and deal with the minor hassle of unloading what's left over. And when I find bargains on rarities, I'll often buy multiples, which can be really good for trading down the line. If I were paid every two weeks like a normal person, though, I would probably just buy dinosaurs a few at a time, because it's always such a thrill to open a new package. And I think it's pretty unlikely that I'll be buying any more complete collections!

Sim

Well done Halichoeres!  I'm glad you enjoy your collection!

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 28, 2015, 03:18:22 PM
[deleted defunct image]
Is the figure next to the Carnegie Camarasaurus and behind the Carnegie Sinraptor, the painted Invicta Cetiosaurus?

SBell

Quote from: Sim on August 29, 2015, 02:22:33 AM
Well done Halichoeres!  I'm glad you enjoy your collection!

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 28, 2015, 03:18:22 PM

Is the figure next to the Carnegie Camarasaurus and behind the Carnegie Sinraptor, the painted Invicta Cetiosaurus?

That is it, yes.

RobinGoodfellow

Great.  ^-^
You have some models I've been searching for years... ::)
Lucky you!  :))

Uroplatus

Awesome collection, Halichoeres.
That Edaphosaurus will feel right at home.  :))

Halichoeres

Thanks, everyone!

Uroplatus: Yup, it'll fit right in!

RobinGoodFellows: I think there are some advantages to living in the US...

Thanks for the ID, SBell. Yep, Sim, that's my only Invicta! Twenty years older than the CollectA and still far better.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Halichoeres  on August 29, 2015, 08:56:30 PM
Thanks, everyone!

RobinGoodFellows: I think there are some advantages to living in the US...

I know  :-\ .......
I made all my dino-orders in Germany or UK.
Even Geoworld is difficult to find in my country (and Geoworld is an ITALIAN company  :(  )
German people are strong collectors and an order from Germany to Italy takes 1-2 weeks, not too much and the shipment isn't too expensive  ::)
Japanese items (Kaiyodo and Favorite)) are almost impossible to find  :'(  . Battat too.

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 29, 2015, 08:56:30 PM
Thanks for the ID, SBell. Yep, Sim, that's my only Invicta! Twenty years older than the CollectA and still far better.

Thanks for the confirmation, guys!  Yes, there's a number of other figures too that are far better than much newer figures of the same animal.

SBell

Quote from: Sim on August 30, 2015, 12:29:24 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 29, 2015, 08:56:30 PM

Thanks for the confirmation, guys!  Yes, there's a number of other figures too that are far better than much newer figures of the same animal.

But there are also a lot that are...not. Have you seen the Invicta 'Stenonychosaurus' =(Troodon)? It's terrible. As one example.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: