News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: raptor64870 on February 10, 2016, 02:53:34 AM
great pics
Thanks!

Quote from: Libraraptor on February 10, 2016, 06:51:12 AM
"Theropods, 1:30-1:55. This lot is notable for its subdued palette."

What do you mean by that? Can´t really translate that. Do you mean the pale colours?
Yeah, I just mean that every figure in the picture is some variety of brown or gray, or maybe a little yellow. Most of the group shots are more colorful, I think!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

Some recently added Jurassic diapsids:

Character Options Anurognathus (from the Primeval TV show). I love tiny pterosaurs, but even though they're tiny, these guys are still about 1:8, or action figure scale. Not very accurate, but generally convey an impression of a snub-nosed little pterosaur.

Starlux Pterodactylus. Still hoping to score the Joy City version at some point, but this will do for now, even if its feet are pulling a Pteropus and painted green into the bargain. About 1:7.

I don't really know who made this Protosuchus, but it was made for Toys R Us/Animal Planet and sold under the name Micro Kingdom. It's the least worst of a five pack and is about 1:13.

Tiny archosaurs.

This is probably a knockoff of the Waiphoon Campylognathoides, but I'm not really sure how to tell. But it's a pterosaur nobody else has made! This one is about 1:6.

The little "lizard" accessory to Rebor's Dimorphodon. There are very few records of true lizards on Earth in the Early Jurassic, and as far as I can tell they were mostly Gondwanan. This figure is actually a reasonable stand-in for Gephyrosaurus, a sphenodontian known from Early Jurassic Britain, and it would be about 1:6. So that's what I'm calling it.

Speaking of Dimorphodon, here's Judy. It's a bit of a bummer about the sunken fenestrae, but these are pretty nice, my favorite Rebor figures so far and the only ones I've bought new. The Safari version is still more accurate.

Punch. They're big--about 1:4 rather than 1:6. Rebor is following in a long tradition of underselling the scale of their figures, just like Battat, Schleich, and CollectA.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Libraraptor

I really like that Protosuchus.  I first thought "Starlux", but amazingly it´s a chinasaur.

SBell

Quote from: Libraraptor on February 14, 2016, 04:36:22 PM
I really like that Protosuchus.  I first thought "Starlux", but amazingly it´s a chinasaur.

I have it too--it's not terrible. The same series has a little Stygimoloch. Depending on how you feel about the taxon, it's---okay.

Bokisaurus

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on February 14, 2016, 05:52:04 PM
Quote from: Libraraptor on February 14, 2016, 04:36:22 PM

I have it too--it's not terrible. The same series has a little Stygimoloch. Depending on how you feel about the taxon, it's---okay.

It is Starlux-esque, you're right. I have the Starlux too, but I like this one just a bit better. I'll probably sell the Starlux. As Sean said, the Stygimoloch is okay, and probably close to 1:40, but the other three dinos in the set are firmly terrible. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRZ1GQ4/)

Quote from: Bokisaurus on February 14, 2016, 08:03:27 PM
Nice Collection ^-^
Thanks, very kind!

joossa

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Halichoeres

Thanks, joossa! I keep thinking I'll run out, and then I keep buying more!

joossa

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Halichoeres

Big image-heavy update! I tried to resize the photos to minimize load time. After a year of collecting, I haven't gotten any new bookcases, but the shelves have gotten a lot more crowded. I now have 388 figures, representing 338 nominal genera, from 54 different manufacturers. A slight majority are from just 4 companies: Safari, CollectA, Kaiyodo, and Yowie (!). Thanks to all the people who have traded me cool stuff to fill these shelves. Thanks also to all the folks who bought stuff from me, helping me to stretch my actually-pretty-small dinosaur budget (which nevertheless has cut deeply into my book budget :'( ). A big raspberry to eBay for their atrocious customer service, their extortion-level fee structure, and their stranglehold on the anglophone secondary market. Anyway, here's where my dinosaurs live! Same shots as six months ago, only more crowded.

One bookcase.

Another one. There's one between them too, but it doesn't have any prehistoric stuff on it, so not so interesting here.

The top half of my all-science bookcase.

The bottom half.

My all-literature (whatever that means) bookcase. It only has a few prehistoric critters on it.

Skulls. I should find a new home for these guys, because it's annoying to move them every time I consult one of these books.

Late Cretaceous 1:40-1:80

Late Cretaceous 1:30-1:40

Late Cretaceous 1:30-1:40

Late Cretaceous 1:15-1:30

Cretaceous 1:7-1:15

Cretaceous 1:3-1:7

Early Cretaceous 1:30-1:60

Early Cretaceous 1:15-1:30

Jurassic 1:30-1:75

Jurassic 1:15-1:30

Jurassic 1:7-1:15

Jurassic 1:2-1:7

Mesozoic 1:30-1:60

Mesozoic 1:15-1:30

Permian-Triassic 1:14-1:30

Devonian-Triassic, 1:30-1:60

Devonian-Triassic. The stuff in the foreground is ~1:10, the stuff on risers is mostly around 1:5, up to 1:2 for the Diictodon.

Devonian 1:15-1:30

Paleozoic 1:0.5-1:5

Georassic

RobinGoodfellow

While watching your pictures, I'm feeling comfortable.. ;)
I know very well what is to have crowded shelfs.
I have more than 700 figures and I'm also a book and a cd/dvd/blu-ray collector...
Congrats!  ^-^

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gwangi

I also struggle between a book budget and dinosaur budget. I'm sitting here straining my eyes to see what books you have. I recognize quite a few that I have (Butterfly Fishes of the World, Fishes of the Open Ocean) and find myself envious of a few I don't (Jurassic Fishes, Cenozoic Mammals of Africa). I can't help but spot "Guns, Germs, and Steel" which is what I'm currently reading.

Sim

That looks like a satisfying collection! :)  What's the story of your CollectA Rajasaurus having a base?

Mr. Challenger

Wow! That's a great collection! I have to admit that I'm so happy to see my diictodon in that bookcase  ^-^

Gwangi

Halichoeres

Quote from: Georassic on February 25, 2016, 03:31:30 AM
Amazing collection. Proud to be one of your buyers and traders.  ;)
Thanks! It's been fun so far.

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on February 25, 2016, 08:05:50 AM
While watching your pictures, I'm feeling comfortable.. ;)
I know very well what is to have crowded shelfs.
I have more than 700 figures and I'm also a book and a cd/dvd/blu-ray collector...
Congrats!  ^-^
Thanks! I know you know my pain ;)

Quote from: Jetoar on February 25, 2016, 02:34:08 PM
Your collection is really awesome  :o.
Thank you! I've seen your thread, and this is nothing by comparison. Just got the Repenomamus you sent, too--it just missed photograph day!

Quote from: Gwangi on February 25, 2016, 08:10:02 PM
I also struggle between a book budget and dinosaur budget. I'm sitting here straining my eyes to see what books you have. I recognize quite a few that I have (Butterfly Fishes of the World, Fishes of the Open Ocean) and find myself envious of a few I don't (Jurassic Fishes, Cenozoic Mammals of Africa). I can't help but spot "Guns, Germs, and Steel" which is what I'm currently reading.
I wasn't focusing much on the individual titles, but maybe a few shots are in order? I like Guns, Germs, and Steel, it's super interesting if a bit repetitive. The nodosaurid you spotted is indeed a Sega. It's their Sauropelta Pawpawsaurus. Mine is slightly damaged--they're normally in a solid four-on-the-floor stance, but the plastic on mine has crumpled at the right shoulder and so its leg tucks underneath a bit.

Quote from: Sim on February 25, 2016, 08:27:08 PM
That looks like a satisfying collection! :)  What's the story of your CollectA Rajasaurus having a base?
I must say I'm pretty happy with it. This is one of the most enjoyable hobbies I've picked up. I got the Rajasaurus in a trade, and because it was a little wobbly, its previous owner had fashioned a simple base from air-dry clay. He was kind enough to include it when he traded it to me.

Quote from: Mr. Challenger on February 26, 2016, 01:11:25 AM
Wow! That's a great collection! I have to admit that I'm so happy to see my diictodon in that bookcase  ^-^
Not as happy as I am ;)

AcroSauroTaurus

Your collection might not be as large as mine right now, ;) but you definitely have some figures in your collection that I am jealous of! You have a nice collection. ;D
I am the Dinosaur King!

Halichoeres

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on February 26, 2016, 06:32:40 AM
Your collection might not be as large as mine right now, ;) but you definitely have some figures in your collection that I am jealous of! You have a nice collection. ;D
Thanks! I'll never have the biggest collection (not enough space, money, or even desire, really), but I like to have the best version of every genus if I can possibly manage it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: