News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

Interesting to see a Nanotyrannus figure. Has that one been done before? I don't recall...

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on May 02, 2016, 08:35:49 PM
Interesting to see a Nanotyrannus figure. Has that one been done before? I don't recall...

CollectA has done a juvenile Tyrannosaurus rex, so yes!? >:D

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on May 02, 2016, 10:25:21 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on May 02, 2016, 08:35:49 PM

CollectA has done a juvenile Tyrannosaurus rex, so yes!? >:D

Ha, yeah, no shortage of juvenile and baby rexes. There's also a Nanotyrannus as such in the Xtractaurs action figure line.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 02, 2016, 05:32:45 PM
@Sim: I think the dinosaurs shipped with the magazine you're talking about, at least in some countries. I might be wrong, though. I don't remember ever seeing them here in the States, but who knows. Everyone I've talked to who had them got them in Europe or Latin America. I think you nailed the Nanotyrannus art.

I'm pretty pleased to have found them, and within a month or two of even learning they existed! The only one I'm missing now is Arrhinoceratops. You might already know this, but they're marketing, at least in Spain, Ireland, and the UK, a line of Dinosaur Train-esque figures with kids' books. Incredibly, they have 77 issues and so far not a single unique species (although they seem to have been slightly ahead of Kaiyodo in making a Yi). Even their issues for Stomatosuchus and Mei long don't include the titular animals.

If the dinosaur figures came with the magazine, I don't think they did over here in London as I had all the issues (there was over 100!) and none came with the De Agostini figures.  Maybe in other parts of the world they did though.  Re-reading the De Agostini thread, I saw a few of the figures were repainted AAA figures.  That would explain why when I looked at all the figures which ofmp linked to in that thread, a few didn't look like the artwork from Dinosaurs! at all.

Someone - I think it was you - linked to a Dinosaur Train-esque De Agostini figure set which included a Yi, but I didn't know anything more about that line of figures and books.  In the Stomatosuchus issue the figures are a baby Oviraptor and a Spinosaurus with eyelashes to show it's female?  And the Mei issue just comes with a volcano that's exactly the same as what comes with other issues?  I find that disappointing, even if I'm not interested in such cartoony figures.

DC

You can never have too many dinosaurs

Flaffy

Fauna Figures made a lungfish. They also have paddlefish, lamprey, butterfly fish, bichir... Go check them out!

SBell

Quote from: DC on May 03, 2016, 04:07:26 AM
I would like to see someome make a lungfish

Thanks for the mention!

It's true Randy--https://faunafigures.com/category/brand/fauna-figures-fishes/ No one else would do it, so I am!

I am expecting my first (small...I don't think large enough...) run of bowfin, paddlefish, lamprey and Heterotis in the next week or so (mailed today). They are sized to go well with larger dino models...just saying!

And we have a really long list...eventually there will be some prehistoric, but not yet.

Flaffy

Quote from: SBell on May 03, 2016, 05:53:27 AM

Thanks for the mention!

It's true Randy--https://faunafigures.com/category/brand/fauna-figures-fishes/ No one else would do it, so I am!

I am expecting my first (small...I don't think large enough...) run of bowfin, paddlefish, lamprey and Heterotis in the next week or so (mailed today). They are sized to go well with larger dino models...just saying!

And we have a really long list...eventually there will be some prehistoric, but not yet.
Will the paddlefish's price be 14.99 CAD? Like the rest of the series?

SBell

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on May 03, 2016, 06:02:48 AM
Quote from: SBell on May 03, 2016, 05:53:27 AM

Thanks for the mention!

Will the paddlefish's price be 14.99 CAD? Like the rest of the series?

They should be, yes!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on May 02, 2016, 11:54:35 PM
Someone - I think it was you - linked to a Dinosaur Train-esque De Agostini figure set which included a Yi, but I didn't know anything more about that line of figures and books.  In the Stomatosuchus issue the figures are a baby Oviraptor and a Spinosaurus with eyelashes to show it's female?  And the Mei issue just comes with a volcano that's exactly the same as what comes with other issues?  I find that disappointing, even if I'm not interested in such cartoony figures.
I also found that disappointing! To me, a cartoony Stomatosuchus would have been better than no Stomatosuchus at all. They seem really intent on making a nuclear family of every species.

It would be nice to see more lungfish! In addition to the FF one, there's an Australian lungfish in the Colorata fossil fish box. There was such a great variety of lungfish in the Paleozoic and Mesozoic; I'd love to see some of those guys made into figures.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

suspsy

At some point, Tim, you simply must review that JP Estemmenosuchus for the blog!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoLord

Quote from: suspsy on May 03, 2016, 02:23:16 PM
At some point, Tim, you simply must review that JP Estemmenosuchus for the blog!

Agreed. I always love Tim's reviews of Paleozoic creatures; I always end up learning something new.

Flaffy

It baffles me that none of the major dino making companies (except for Kenner) havemade an estemmenosuchus figure. Just... just look at its bizarre horns!  :o :o

Flaffy

I wonder why they chose the baby spino and baby oviraptor over the stomatosuchus, which is on the FRONT COVER of the book!   :'( I just want a stomatosuchus... :'( Pls... Stomatosuchus...

Halichoeres

It never occurred to me to review the Estemmenosuchus! I assumed all the JP stuff had been done already. But sure, I could take a crack at it. Thanks for the encouragement, guys :)

@FlaffyRaptors: I don't know why BOTH of those animals haven't been made. They're so distinctive!

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 03, 2016, 01:50:41 PM
Quote from: Sim on May 02, 2016, 11:54:35 PM
I also found that disappointing! To me, a cartoony Stomatosuchus would have been better than no Stomatosuchus at all. They seem really intent on making a nuclear family of every species.

It would be nice to see more lungfish! In addition to the FF one, there's an Australian lungfish in the Colorata fossil fish box. There was such a great variety of lungfish in the Paleozoic and Mesozoic; I'd love to see some of those guys made into figures.

There are at least 4 different Neoceratodus models. Colorata (2 different paint jobs, 3 different releases of the Fossil Fishes box), Toba Aquarium, Epoch, Yowies...there may be others that I haven't chased down.

From an ATF thread.

Halichoeres

Some Cretaceous marginocephalians! (I know, not many marginocephalians outside the Cretaceous.)

Yowie Prenocephale. The last Yowie I needed for my collection! The dinosaurs from this line got pretty good for series C; it's a shame they didn't keep them going. About 1:20.

Starlux Monoclonius, a nomen dubium, so it's Centrosaurus in my collection until I can find a Kokoro Centrosaurus (or Safari or CollectA makes one). About 1:45.

Safari Pachyrhinosaurus. Replaced the Papo because its antlers started to bother me. About 1:40.

Planeta DeAgostini Chasmosaurus. Replaced the CollectA version, a modest improvement, but what I really want is the DeAgostini Arrhinoceratops. About 1:30.

Kaiyodo (DinoLand) Anchiceratops. It's huge! It's supposedly 1:20, but it's actually around 1:12. Pretty figure, though.

With Hesperonychus for scale.

Battat Triceratops. So nice. This is one of the few Battats where I prefer the original paint job. Replaced the derpy old Papo trike. About 1:40-1:45.

Toyway (WWD) Torosaurus. All the Torosaurus figures out there are pretty ugly, except the Safari Field Musuem one, but that one's so small! This one replaced the Schleich version. About 1:40-1:45.

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Halichoeres

Dilopho

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 12, 2016, 02:15:48 AM

Starlux Monoclonius, a nomen dubium, so it's Centrosaurus in my collection until I can find a Kokoro Centrosaurus (or Safari or CollectA makes one). About 1:45.

It looks so worried

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: